Thread: Cuban fiber

Cuban fiber

Will a Cuban fiber tarp absorb less water than silnylon?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One of the great things about Cuben Fiber is that the very nature of its construction makes it impossible to absorb water. This makes for faster drying times. Also, unlike tarps made with silnylon, it will not stretch when it rains.

Water can collect on it like any other surface but once it is wiped off, it is dry.

~SC

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Will a Cuban fiber tarp absorb less water than silnylon?
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Great! I just had back surgery & will have to find ways to lighten my pack weight so that I can continue hiking! I have a WB BMJ that I love but will have to replace to reduce weight! I realize that I could opt for a smaller tarp but I love the coverage the larger tarps provide.
    I have some reservations about the CF tarps ( ie it's transparency , ? Fragility , cost ) but you can't argue with its weight advantage!
    Now all I need to do is mortgage my home in order to buy one!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I have some reservations about the CF tarps ( ie it's transparency , ? Fragility , cost ) but you can't argue with its weight advantage!
    The transparency isn't a huge issue for me. While it does allow to to see out to some degree. The glare off the material still provides a fair degree of privacy, IMHO.

It's not as fragile as I had thought it would be. Just be aware of abrassion and do your best to avoid it as much as possible.

Yes the cost if prohibitive to say the least. But, consider the ability to perform a field expedient repair compared to silny. I hope I never have to do one, but if it happens my trip doesn't have to be ruined. I can patch it up with duct tape or cuben tape, provided there is a flat surface available. (i.e. Picnic table)
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Great about cuben,,no water settling on the inside from rain on the outside of it,,and i love my HG cuben tarp...now saving for another one for the wife, I am sold on cuben and its going to be the go-to tarps, bags, rain gear, as it packs so small and super super light..well worth the money if your backpacking.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, DIY Argon 1.2, Hennesy
    Tarp
    DIY, Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SP Hooks/Dynaglide

cuben

The stuff is amazing. I enjoy the bit of transparancy when it is raining I am not in a cave. I was once a heavy hauler but like you surgery (knee reconstruction) I thought I would not be able to get back out on the long hauls. With the help of our new friend "Cuben" and many of the helpful DIY's on this forum I am down to around the 9lb base weight depending on weather and season. I found my self being super careful when I first started working with the stuff, it seems fragile. But I will have this gear for a long time. great stuff.
    Last edited by kafer4life; 05-13-2012 at 10:06. Reason: miss spelling

Hammock
    HH Ex Deluxe, WBBB 1.7 DL, ENO-DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex-mesh skins
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great! I just had back surgery & will have to find ways to lighten my pack weight so that I can continue hiking! I have a WB BMJ that I love but will have to replace to reduce weight! I realize that I could opt for a smaller tarp but I love the coverage the larger tarps provide.
    If you want to get rid of your BMJ to support your cuben fix, I can buy it from you to help offset the cost. PM me if you wanna get rid of it.
    ~Sonny~

Thanks for the info. It does make me feel more positive about the new purchase!
    I still need to reduce weight in other areas as well!
    I'm planning on selling my WB BB 1.1DL for a 1.1 SL! That's a savings of 6ozs. or more. I've considered the WB Traveler but I live in Mississippi and a bug is a must for me! Plus I just like the idea of being "enclosed"! Its a psychological thing
    Ive got all my gear laid out now trying to cut ounces! A fun way to spend time while recuperating from my surgery!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I can't say I am down to 9 lbs base weight, but I will be down to a projected base weight of 12 lbs as soon as my cuben tarp arrives!

My experience with cuben is in the form of stuff sacks. I got one and used it for a while, got comfortable with the fabric and haven't looked back. All of my stuff sacks are now cuben except my food bag. When looking into tarps and the weight one could save by going with a cuben one coupled with my cuben experience, I didn't even look at non cuben.

I wonder when Warbonnet will start offering them.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts