Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

JRB BMBH + JRB Greylock 3 + OES Maccat Deluxe

I took my brand new JRB BMBH, along with my sort of new JRB Greylock 3 UQ and my nowhere near new OES Maccat Deluxe tarp out to the park today to play around with setting it up and see how I like it.

You can see photos here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...44877602243345

All in all I think it's a great hammock. It does look to me like one of the net pockets was sewn in backwards, so I'll be writing the Jacks about that. And I ordered the 'standard' BMBH rather than the UL because I thought I would like to use the pad pocket, but it's so easy to attach the UQ that I don't think I ever will, which prompts me to think I might like the UL better. On the other hand, I really liked how roomy it is and I might regret giving up the extra 4" in depth. I think what I really want is the standard, but without the double bottom.

The suspension seems a bit short to me, limiting options on where I can hang. It also seems like a waste to have all that webbing rather than using line. And finally, I find the tri-glides to be a pain to futz with. But making changes to the suspension is minor, so this isn't really a big deal.

I know a few people have asked how roomy it is for taller folks. I am 6' 3" tall and I have plenty of room at head and foot.

All in all, I think I am really going to like this hammock.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I love my BMBH too. Grizz worked some magic on mine to lighten it.

Been thinking about removing the layer for the pad - I agree w/you that the UQ is just TOOOOO easy to attach and I don't use pads except to supplement the UQ in colder temps.

Any issues you can think of in removing it? I couldn't think of any.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I took my brand new JRB BMBH, along with my sort of new JRB Greylock 3 UQ and my nowhere near new OES Maccat Deluxe tarp out to the park today to play around with setting it up and see how I like it.

You can see photos here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...44877602243345

All in all I think it's a great hammock. It does look to me like one of the net pockets was sewn in backwards, so I'll be writing the Jacks about that. And I ordered the 'standard' BMBH rather than the UL because I thought I would like to use the pad pocket, but it's so easy to attach the UQ that I don't think I ever will, which prompts me to think I might like the UL better. On the other hand, I really liked how roomy it is and I might regret giving up the extra 4" in depth. I think what I really want is the standard, but without the double bottom.

The suspension seems a bit short to me, limiting options on where I can hang. It also seems like a waste to have all that webbing rather than using line. And finally, I find the tri-glides to be a pain to futz with. But making changes to the suspension is minor, so this isn't really a big deal.

I know a few people have asked how roomy it is for taller folks. I am 6' 3" tall and I have plenty of room at head and foot.

All in all, I think I am really going to like this hammock.
    Glad to hear you are liking it so much. Mine, used with the MW UQs, is the only set up I use that really competes with my Claytor/PeaPod combo for foolproof warmth. By that I mean there is not much I can do with an adjustment, or moving in my sleep, to mess either of those up. It seems virtually impossible for me to manage to move off of the warm area with those. Or develop any suspension weirdness in the middle of the night, or have something slip off of a shoulder. Just ain't gonna happen. Even the TQs seem to work better. It is always very hard for me to choose between those two or my WB Climashield Yeti ( usually my best choice if weight alone is the deciding factor, though adjustment or position problems can be more likely). But, here is the thing in favor of the JRB: it has been the only one guaranteed to keep my legs comfy for the entire trip. On at least 2 different nights with my Claytor/pod combo, and maybe other combos also, I have in the middle of the night realized that something was out of whack with my leg comfort. Twice it has been this weird thing where my left leg seems to be jacked up in the air, sort of on a shelf. I can never figure what is causing that, and I hate to get out at 0200 and 20F/blowing snow to try and figure out what the heck is wrong. Or on other occasions maybe I have suddenly developed the calf pressure PITA. On the times this has happened, I always find myself wondering:"why the heck did I not bring my BMBH like I started too?"! Even if it meant some more weight, I was wishing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post

Been thinking about removing the layer for the pad - I agree w/you that the UQ is just TOOOOO easy to attach and I don't use pads except to supplement the UQ in colder temps.

Any issues you can think of in removing it? I couldn't think of any.
    None I can think of, unless the double layer increases weight rating?

The only thing that makes me cringe about removing the pad pocket: that dang JRB pad pocket works so darn good! If I had to use a pad in a hammock, the BMBH would be my HANDS DOWN choice. In fact, I have often started to leave my quilt behind, and just take a pad, forcing myself to find out if I would really notice that much difference in comfort. Plus, a wide pad actually increases shoulder room enough to notice, a plus. So I have been tempted many times to just use a pad, and have done so with 20" wide torso pads in warmer weather, which worked good. But in the end, in colder weather, I always choose the UQ. Still, I hate to ruin such a fine capability and alternative.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    What did Grizz do to lighten it?
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    He has a video on here somewhere that's really cool. That's what made me look into it.

He removed the rings and added Amstee suspension, including the triangle. He also made some short straps w/ attached toggles so I can use a Marlin Spike hitch. Easy, lighter hang, fo' sho'!

I didn't opt for the shorter spreader bar at the foot end, though. I like it how it is.

Yeah, BB, the weight-bearing issue may or may not be a concern. And you're right - it really is nice and doesn't weigh that much!

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The BMBH is on its way back to JRB, and they are shipping a UL to me. If all goes well I'll use it this weekend on a GMC trail maintenance trip up in Vermont.

I hope I don't regret giving up the extra depth of the Deluxe.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    What did Grizz do to lighten it?

Ask Professor Hammock
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The BMBH is on its way back to JRB, and they are shipping a UL to me. If all goes well I'll use it this weekend on a GMC trail maintenance trip up in Vermont.

I hope I don't regret giving up the extra depth of the Deluxe.
    My UL arrived yesterday afternoon and I had just enough time to set it up on the patio and try it out. It doesn't really 'feel' shallower than the Deluxe. I'm off to Vermont to do trail maintenance with the GMC this weekend, so will give it a trial then, but I think it's going to work just dandy.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Thanks Grizz. I'll try to keep track of this for reference as I definitely want to do something about the suspension. All that webbing seems like such overkill.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

• + New Posts