SOBO AT w/ WBBB + Superfly

Hi there,

planning on doing a SOBO sometime in mid june.....

I know this isn't a ultralight setup, but this is what I plan on doing for shelter/sleep system:

WBBB 1.1 dbl 27oz
    WB Superfly 19oz
    New River UQ 30oz
    Owyhee TQ 27oz

is this a bit too much for a thru hike in Your opinion?
    what would you take?

any suggestions?

TIA

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    Hi there,

planning on doing a SOBO sometime in mid june.....

I know this isn't a ultralight setup, but this is what I plan on doing for shelter/sleep system:

WBBB 1.1 dbl 27oz
    WB Superfly 19oz
    New River UQ 30oz
    Owyhee TQ 27oz

is this a bit too much for a thru hike in Your opinion?
    what would you take?

any suggestions?
    Is it "a bit too much" for a thru? That mostly depends on whatever 'else' you plan on carrying (i.e., total base weight - and don't forget about packed 'volume', either), not just looking at 'only' your sleep/shelter system... You have to look at 'everything' you will be carrying on a thru-hike...
    IMHO, your 103 oz. is not "too much", though it 'could' be quite a bit lighter...
    First thing I would consider if you're insistent upon using synthetic insulation is go to a 2/3 UQ like the Jarbridge River (17 oz., saving 13 oz. - part of which would be 'lost' for a pad for lower leg/feet insulation, but it could also be your 'backup' if needing to go to ground occasionally)...
    Better yet, seriously consider down insulation for UQ/TQ - both lighter and much less volume when packed...

My current (still tweaking!) 'cold' (20*) thru-hike system for a PCT or AT thru next year:
    WBBB 1.0 dbl, converted to whoopie sling suspension, in Arrowhead Equip. double ended "Hammock Bag 2" (large enough to leave UQ attached to hammock & stuff both in bag) and 8' huggers w/Dutch clips & MSH toggles - 26.9 oz. (yes, I have 'thought' about a lighter hammock and will probably experiment before next year, but I 'love' my WBBB's comfort as is!)
    HammockGear "Four Season" Cuben Fiber tarp in mesh snakeskins, including CRL, all guylines, & 10 stakes - 14.3 oz.
    HammockGear Crowsnest (now Phoenix) UQ - 17.1 oz.
    Hammock Gear Burrow TQ in stuff sack - 22.3 oz.
    (Swapping out for 40* Phoenix & Burrow for 1/3 to 1/2 of each trail would drop 11 oz. for TQ/UQ for those stretches...)
    Pad - 3.0 to 8.0 oz., depending on what is used 'when' & 'where' (TaR Sit Pad most of the time on AT, NeoAir in Smokies & Whites; shortened TaR Z-Rest for PCT in SoCal, NeoAir for Sierras nobo)...
    Total: 83.6 (to 88.6) oz. 'maximum' for 20* sleep/shelter system, 72.6 (to 77.6) oz. for 40* system - compared to your 30* 103 (plus ??) oz. system...

Gear is a very 'personal' selection process - and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in selecting what is suitable for your needs/wants - thus "HYOH"... That you are satisfied, comfortable, and happy with your gear is all that matters! Previous 'arguments' that ground dwellers gear 'can' be much lighter than hangers has merit - but my first rebuttal is always that on a thru-hike your body needs good rest/sleep to 'recuperate' each night, day after day while on the trail - thus the 'comfort' factor of hanging is well worth the slight weight 'penalty' (especially for me and my aging body! )...

Whatever you finally go with - best wishes and good luck on your trek! ENJOY the journey!! (And post to HF once in a while to let us know how your adventure is progressing! )
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

thanks for that nice reply.

I'm glad that you didn't say I was out of my mind for taking that much weight.... because it's already been ordered. lol
    I'll eventually go to down filling... I probably need to start small with a jacket or something to make sure I can care for it properly. (down seems so expensive yet so delicate if not treated properly... I'm/used to be? a 1000 denier type of guy)

I considered the 1/2 to 2/3rd style UQ and still am.... main reason I went with the full size is whenever I wake up cold, it's always my feet and legs. Maybe I have poor circulation down there.

I'll eventually pick up a down sleep system. weight/volume savings makes it a no brainer for this type of backpacking.

nice sleeping system gear list..... gives me something to work towards.

the only thing I'll budge on at this point is my UQ/TQ choice.
    the WBBB even tho heavier than some is probably the way to go as far as comfort.
    and the superfly, although I could go lighter and smaller I'd rather have the protection and coverage WHEN needed.

"Previous 'arguments' that ground dwellers gear 'can' be much lighter than hangers has merit - but my first rebuttal is always that on a thru-hike your body needs good rest/sleep to 'recuperate' each night, day after day while on the trail - thus the 'comfort' factor of hanging is well worth the slight weight 'penalty' "

that is exactly how I'm looking at it.
    I'm coming from a bivy sack... I'd carry an extra pound or two to stay off the ground and get a good nights sleep, because I never did in a bivy sack.

I'll probably stick with the setup I mentioned with a open mind about changing it if it's excessive for my use. Really the only thing to change IMO is the uq/tq.

thanks or the well wishes.... I may not complete the entire trek, but, I'm sure I'll enjoy it... at least more than I would in a bivy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL,1.7, WBRR DL, BIAS Micro
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    40*HG PX, 20HG 10D
    Suspension
    WB straps, whoopie
    I am doing a NOBO hoping to start March 5, 2013.

My setup till probably Erwin, TN:
    Dangerbird "54" 1.5- 18 oz or WBBB 1.7SL -25 OZ
    WB Winter Yeti- 19.5 OZ
    HG 20 BURROW - 16OZ
    HG Cuben Hex -5 oz or Wilderness logic Tadpole Tarp - 10.1 oz.

After Erwin to Whites -
    "Either Hammock"
    Tewa Summer Breeze- 40 degree - 9.8 oz
    Underground Quilts Top Quilt (m50/8d) - 8.6oz
    "Either Tarp"
    "you will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Not trying to go off subject, but I hope ya'll will be posting a journal

Images
    out of Mt. Katahdin i carried 33 lb. with 10 day food (not water). i never worried about volume as i carry a go-lite pinnacle. my 20 degree setup is 74 oz., but you will be fine. as others said look at everything you carry. many mistakes are made in the clothing and the dreaded "miscellaneous". remember for most hunger doesn't kick in till day 10. for me it was 14th day. watch the food weight and i found variety was not an issue in the beginning because of the excitement of the hike.
    post your complete gear list before u leave. look for duel use in as many things as possible, but most of all ENJOY. you will be an expert by the time you get to Monson
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

nice smithce...

as of right now, I don't have a plan to change out my setup for warmer temps...guess I'll go w/o the underquilt or keep it loose/ventilated. Things will of course probably change once on the trail.

I'm kind of winging it as far as planning goes. As long as I'm warm and have food/water... I can deal with the "extra" weight.(I'm still at least 10lbs under what I used to carry) At least that is what I'm telling myself in the comfort of my A/Ced house.

Trail Journal?-- is there a sub forum on HF for that? If I can post from my phone, I'll try....

kayak karl-
    I've looked at everything/the big picture, and really my only question was if my sleeping/shelther setup was "a bit much". Especially since I'm taking a pretty big tarp with doors....and the BB isn't exactly minimalist, especially with the double layer bottom.

There are some things that I'm taking that would make some people here cringe.... but, I'll probably post up a gear list once it's final.

BTW- what mistakes are made in the clothing department? too much clothing?

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hey Cliff, first, have fun on your trip, we're all envious. Second, about your down concerns, yes, you have to avoid getting it wet, but with most of the vendors using fabrics with DWR coatings, you would have to leave it out in the rain, or submerge it in water before you had a problem. Misting or condensation won't be an issue, just wipe it off. Also, down is durable enough to stuff/unstuff many many times before you have an issue with it breaking down. For example, I have a 5 year old top quilt with 850+ down that I have used for a Florida Trail thru, AT thru, and several dozen shorter hikes and its still fluffy and warm as ever. Just use common sense and down won't let you down(no pun intended...ok, maybe a little). As for clothing mistakes, it seems people either over estimate or under estimate the amount of clothing you'll need. I would pack 2-3 shirts/pants, thats including what you wear out(might want to make one set town clothes), 2 regular underwear, 1 thermal, again, including what your wearing, 2-3 pairs of socks, knit hat, fluffy jacket that is at least somewhat compressible, flip-flops or some sort of camp shoes. Of course, if you have support from home, you could have them send you jackets/thermal underwear/etc when you need them, or bounce box. Of course, as enyapjr said, this is only what I would take, clothing, like everything else when hiking, is quite a personal choice. Oh, and no, HF doesn't have a trail journal section per se, but you could create a thread in the Trip Reports forum and give a post in it whenever you felt like it. I know I would like to see how you're doing. Also, postholer.com or trailjournals.com has things like, gear lists, photos, etc that make posting a bit easier if you would like that.

Images
    I'm starting my SOBO thru-hike mid july. I'm taking my JRB bridge, Superfly, and UGQ's. Since I'm used to heavy synthetic bags and tents up to the past year, my new setup is almost to good to be true.

• + New Posts