Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I also did a lot of reading before starting to use this family of rope. Splicing is preferred over knots as you've said. The reason being that knot degrade the strength of the rope. The way this happens is the uneven loading of fibers when the rope is bent. In nylon rope the recommended bend radius is 3:1 but with a high modulus rope like this the ration needs to be 8:1. As a result knots degrade Dyneema more than nylon rope. How much more, I haven't been able to find really good data on.

You do have the braided not cored rope, correct? Are you able to get the wire through to pull your bury or are trying to push it through? IMO pulling works better. Hope you get this figured out. There are some good videos out there if you do some searching.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    I am using the ZLine Slick Dyneema, it is different than the Spectra with the Dacron sheath stuff that I believe you are referring to, which is also by Zpacks. It is braided dyneema, and I can get the wire fed up from the bottom of the bury pocket to the base of the brummel and I can get the bury started but after I run out of taper, the bury will not pull through at all. I hope I am explaining myself well enough.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by dishonor39 View Post
    I am using the ZLine Slick Dyneema, it is different than the Spectra with the Dacron sheath stuff that I believe you are referring to, which is also by Zpacks. It is braided dyneema, and I can get the wire fed up from the bottom of the bury pocket to the base of the brummel and I can get the bury started but after I run out of taper, the bury will not pull through at all. I hope I am explaining myself well enough.
    Yes, that's clear. Look, there's a bit of intuitive art involved in this that defies explanation. You have to capture just the right amount of taper with your wire...too much, and no amount of pulling will get the line through the bury, too little, and just when you think you're home free, the wire loop pulls off of the taper. Keep working with it, and the "Ah hah! moment" will come. Even then, there will still be the occasional difficult splice that will keep you from getting too full of yourself. Hang in there.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I practiced my first splicing with the cheap yellow 3/8" marine rope - made whoopie slings and other stuff. Once I was accomplished with the bigger rope, splicing 7/64" Amsteel and 1.75 Zing-It was relatively easy.

The smaller the diameter, the harder it is to splice the rope, but a proper taper makes it a lot easier.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    The other day I did just what oldgringo is talking about. I pulled too much of the tail through and couldn't get the bury though, just had to back it off some. How far back are you starting the taper?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12