MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

Tiny Holes Concerning me...

so I pick up my MYOG hammock today and I look at the gathered end and I see this

I pull it out of my bishop bag and saw them at the other end near the gathered end as well. It looks like the fabric is failing and I don't know why. This is 1.9 nylon from DIYGearSupply and the hammock is 8ft long 5 ft wide. It's the second hammock to show this kind of wear. My first one was 1.1 and I just assumed I was too close to the weight limit to make that fabric work when it ripped straight across from side to side just past my feet. Now I know I'm a bit overweight but I'm nowhere near the weight limit for 1.9.

I'm gearing up for a 3 day hike in July and I have to have my hammock and where I'm going, I can't have it fail on me. I made both hammock exactly like Kontty's gathered end sticky post says to and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Any chance it got put away wet or at least damp? I ended up with a few tiny holes in one of the pole sleeves of my big family tent. Looks like some pretty nasty mildew munched a hole in the fabric. I've seen something similar on a poncho that was tossed in the bottom of a storage bin damp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Any chance it got put away wet or at least damp? I ended up with a few tiny holes in one of the pole sleeves of my big family tent. Looks like some pretty nasty mildew munched a hole in the fabric. I've seen something similar on a poncho that was tossed in the bottom of a storage bin damp.
    I've never set it up before in wet weather without a tarp but I've been a little damp once or twice. I guess it's possible but it doesn't make a lot sense since the holes are right next to the gathered ends and no where near where I lay.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Can you use some seal sealer on the holes maybe to strengthen the material alittle and seal it up? Use it with some weight in the hammock to stretch the material till it drys,,some containers of water??? to weight 100lbs or so. Just a thought.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Are you using carabiner's and stuffing them with your hammock?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Are you using carabiner's and stuffing them with your hammock?
    I am not, In fact I have a 100% hardware free setup altogether.

As for using seam sealer, I'm not sure I understand how seam sealing would keep them from tearing it even more.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    As for using seam sealer, I'm not sure I understand how seam sealing would keep them from tearing it even more.
    As odd as it may sound the silicone adds tensile strength to the fabric. Silny is stronger than pure finish nylon; if only by a small percentage. You may use a product known as "Shoe Goo" it's a silicone base adhesive for shoe repairs. (love that stuff) un whip the hammock and goo on patched of scrap material that should prevent a run from forming.

I agree that 8' seems really short. Unless you are only 4.5-5' tall. Also as the tension on the hammock increases so to does the force require to support weight.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    How tight are you handing the hammock? 8' is kind of short to my mind. If you are hanging it tightly you are adding additional stress to the rig. Hang it so the suspension is roughly 30* below horizontal when unloaded and you will reduce the stress by a huge margin. If the lay is too short to be comfortable you may need to go to a longer hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    How tight are you handing the hammock? 8' is kind of short to my mind. If you are hanging it tightly you are adding additional stress to the rig. Hang it so the suspension is roughly 30* below horizontal when unloaded and you will reduce the stress by a huge margin. If the lay is too short to be comfortable you may need to go to a longer hammock.
    It is a short hammock, but that's because I'm short. It's 3 feet longer than I am.

So, there is a good chance that I've been hanging it a bit wrong causing more stress than supposed to. I've been on my own trying to figure hanging out, so I wouldn't be surprised...

If that is the case, my next question is, these holes are strewn from side to side at both ends and I've got a trip coming up in July and I need to know do I need to replace this before if fails on me or will I be fine? Because we will be on the AT in the Smoky's and I really can't afford for it to fail there.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    these holes are strewn from side to side at both ends and I've got a trip coming up in July and I need to know do I need to replace this before if fails on me or will I be fine? Because we will be on the AT in the Smoky's and I really can't afford for it to fail there.
    Without actually seeing the hammock there is no way to tell for sure. But here are some things to look for.

Do the holes run along the line of stitches? If yes.. then you are probably seeing places where the weave is shifting and bunching up. If that be the case... check for any broken threads in the weave. A shifting weave is not a big deal. That happens quite frequently and while you need to keep an eye on it... I would not worry about catastrophic failure from that condition.

Broken threads indicate a more serious problem and I would consider changing the suspension attachment. My straps larkshead around the gathered fabric. That would avoid some of the tension causing the separation.

If on the other hand the holes are away from the stitch lines you have a very different problem. In that case you either have something abrading the fabric or the weave itself is faulty. I would keep a much more active eye on the situation. But still look for broken threads. If the weave is intact then I would expect the hammock to remain usable for some time. But obviously I am in no position to be able to promise any specific level of performance.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast