Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Minimum hang distance for whoopies

I have noticed several threads debating webbing v. whoopies. One factor that seems to come up is that webbing offers better options when the trees are very close together. The counter argument to that is that if you want to hang under a tarp, you need a decent amount of space anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I went out tonight and hung my OES Maccat Deluxe. It is an 11 foot ridgeline. When you add a few inches on each side for the d-rings and the prussiks that I use to attach to my crl, you end up with at least 11 1/2 feet. Giving a little fudge factor for the dog bone and figure 9 I use to hang my tarp, I figure the realistic minimum hang distance is 12 feet. My hammock is a WBBB, currently with stock webbing straps. It can obviously fit between 12 foot trees with no problem. How about if I switched to whoopies? What do you think the minimum hang is for a standard set of whoopies on a marlin spike hitch toggle? Can I get it down to at least 12 feet? If so, then the tarp argument makes sense. Has anyone actually done this math? I am interested mostly to address the tree sap problem. I like the idea of completely detaching my suspension. Thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you put whoopies on the BB you can get to 11 feet give or take a couple of inches. The WBBB ridgeline is 100 inches and with whoopies made close to manufacturers recommendations you can get as short as 16 inches or so. That gives you 132 inches. You would lose a couple of inches of whoopie going around the whipping of the hammock but then again you need a few inches for the MSH. Also, the 16 inches of whoopie sling is at an angle so lateral distance from the hammock to the tree would be less. Bottom line is you can do whoopies in less than 12 feet.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-15-2012 at 22:31.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    "Thinking out loud" here...a WBBB is roughly 8'-6'' overall. I am currently making my whoopies so they can be used down to ~15" (times two = 2'-6"). Add another 6" at both ends for the MSH. 8'6"+2'6"+1" = 12' at a dead flat hang angle. Once you change the hang angle to 30*, you should be able easily hang in a 12' space.

Keep in mind that many whoopies are made with a longer "minimum" length than I currently use so it will depend on how they are made.

A creative hanger could figure a way to wrap the whoopies around the trees just enough to hang in a space about the same length as the hammock itself.

Edit...I think out loud slowly and Bubba not only posted up faster but did a better job.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Edit...I think out loud slowly and Bubba not only posted up faster but did a better job.
    LOL. Thanks for the compliment. I too think out loud slowly.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I went hiking with ExtremeKatfishing a couple weeks ago on the Palmetto Trail. I was to meet him at a bridge half way. I got there early so i tried setting up my Grand Trunk Ultralight across the brige to have a good place to wait I tried my whoopie slings but hooking them to the rail made my hammock hang too low, so i had to use just the straps to get it up high enough to be comfy. I am attaching a pic of it across the bridge, you can see the whoppie slings hanging down from the ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful.

• + New Posts