diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    thanks for the link Randy.
    here is another thought for the ends of the hammock. instead of sewing the two sides of the channel or hammock body together sew in a triangular piece of fabric at the end between the two sides. start right after the stitching for the channel towards the center. i tried this with a 1.9 ripstop hammock before i decided that i preferred poly over ripstop, but never finished it with netting. by doing this you are allowing the end of the hammock to separate as if you are laying in an un-netted gathered end while the triangle is taking any / all the forces pulling the edges apart. it would also allow different shapes at the end of the netting such as \_/ or a semicircle.

~cinnamon

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    No lack of energy and money into these projects. It's rather hard to understand how you can pick one for the price they are. Thanks Papa...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    So my zippers are sewn to the hammock body on one side, and a fabric strip on the other. When they reach the gather, I have sewn the gather in a 4" tube. The fabric strip runs past and inside that gather. ( I rolled hem the fabric strip, the zipper end is heat sealed.)

I sew down that hemmed line, and bartack the corner....
    This is what I was sorting of thinking about unit I just read Cinnamon's thought here. Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    thanks for the link Randy.
    here is another thought for the ends of the hammock. instead of sewing the two sides of the channel or hammock body together sew in a triangular piece of fabric at the end between the two sides. start right after the stitching for the channel towards the center. i tried this with a 1.9 ripstop hammock before i decided that i preferred poly over ripstop, but never finished it with netting. by doing this you are allowing the end of the hammock to separate as if you are laying in an un-netted gathered end while the triangle is taking any / all the forces pulling the edges apart. it would also allow different shapes at the end of the netting such as \_/ or a semicircle.

~cinnamon
    This is clever, to say the least. I think this is exactly what I was looking for. The triangle piece of material could be a bit of an oversize with shock cord hemmed in to keep it taut. Also, I would see this being a way to reach the zipper from within the hammock.

Papa suggested rounding out the net around asym ties for zipper flow in his excellent post of these tablecloth D.I.Y.'s. I saw one post with the extra material sewn in at the tie outs which might be an over-kill?

Anyways, I'm thinking with the extra triangle material sewn over the ridgeline and rounded cuts of the net around the tie-outs this is gonna be..... A Dream Hammock Hopefully I'll have this done in a couple weeks to start on a tarp and UQ.

Thanks Again....

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    You made the beast? That looked to be a whole lot of sweat n tears. It looks like you tied in the netting hood section with entire side panels.

Thanks 4 the share....

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If I had to do.it different, I would sew the body, zipper and strip and THEN gather the hammock end: strip, zipper and all. Sewing it up the way I did tends to shorten one side, turning it into a wall... (the footbox does the same thing....)

And, no tears were shed in the making of the beast. Do a search on son of beast... divab posted some pics of the next version. I made 3 of those.... thank goodness I didn't sell them... I could never make a living sewing hammocks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I think sometimes these projects can get more complicated than they really need to be. When I set out to diy my hammock, integrating the bugnet got very confusing. Everyone seemed to have a pattern or some kind of math involved. When it came down to building it, I decided to make it very simple. After hemming, I sewed the zipper the entire length of one side. I then sewed tieouts to each side and installed the ridgeline temporarily. I set up the hammock, staked out the tieouts with shockcord and threw the entire amount of noseeum over the hammock. I then began pinning it in place where I wanted it. Once I was happy, I simply cut the bugnet, leaving about 1/2" all the way around, to make sure I had room for stretch. I took it all down, removed the ridgeline and whipping, and sewed it up. It was way easier than I could have imagined. What I was worried about, was really nothing to worry about at all. Here is the a link to it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63178
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    I could never make a living sewing hammocks!
    I know what you mean. I changed my project from a gathered end to a sewn channel end with 3 rows of stitching on each side and made the channel to narrow. I spent half the day yesterday becoming a professional stitch ripper... so glad I did it with gray thread on black. Oh my eyes... I had it wrapped like a bun and didn't like it. This is much better

Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I think sometimes these projects can get more complicated than they really need to be. When I set out to diy my hammock, integrating the bugnet got very confusing. Everyone seemed to have a pattern or some kind of math involved. When it came down to building it, I decided to make it very simple. After hemming, I sewed the zipper the entire length of one side. I then sewed tieouts to each side and installed the ridgeline temporarily. I set up the hammock, staked out the tieouts with shockcord and threw the entire amount of noseeum over the hammock. I then began pinning it in place where I wanted it. Once I was happy, I simply cut the bugnet, leaving about 1/2" all the way around, to make sure I had room for stretch. I took it all down, removed the ridgeline and whipping, and sewed it up. It was way easier than I could have imagined. What I was worried about, was really nothing to worry about at all. Here is the a link to it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63178
    Your hammock is really nice, well done and simple. Your tie outs are great, see... now I'm gonna have to rip my off and re-due them.

For me, I do all this research trying to save money and avoid doing it twice and eh..., well I guess I'm just some old fart still trying. I should have learned long ago, leave it to the pros. I worked most of the day on it today, re-channeled and added hoods with shock cord. I need zippers now. BTW, your nickname in here is not the same guy that hiked the AT I saw on the discovery channel is it?

Underside - With the extra material as Cinnamon suggested. I haven't sat in it yet. Here's what it looked liked. Sort of looks like a little pouch. I'll get a photo of it hanging when it's light and looked really cool.

This is turned inside out. I added a tiny piece of Grossgrain where all the triangle meets up with the material. We'll see

Last edited by HungLow; 01-26-2013 at 02:41.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have made a total of 4 of the bb clone types, and yes I have always used the pin and sew method... it takes a couple if passes with the pinning, but it has always worked out fine. I even made several hh clones for the kids, which was easier, but I like the foot box better.
    Most of my projects start out with some apprehension, but end in success, too... should have learned by now...

John

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Hung it up today and really liking it . No undue stress on the edges of the tablecloth fabric. Probably didn't need the shock cord on the triangles but might when I put on the cover & netting under the foot somehow. Ordered #5 zippers today. Thanks for the helpski. Those triangle thingys... the first time I've ever messed with that ripstop stuff, wow what a pain. > Learning...

I saw all your kids hammocks I think they were great! I think I did

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have found that #3 zippers work great.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123