WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I was thinking that the Gorget is a good idea, will have to determine the usefulness of the draft stopper.

BTW: NC Patrick & Black Bishop: you two are seriously sick you know, my kind of people.

Doctari.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I ate raw fish for lunch today.

The gorget seems like a good idea to me...in a quilt, I lost most of the heat from around my shoulders/neck so anything that could help with that is a welcome addition. Needed? Probably not. But I see where it could be helpful.

OTOH, I don't see where the draft stoppers would be as useful in a hammock...it's already piling up on the sides, which helps with the drafts. But I've never used them so I'll wait and see what NCPatrick says.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Yeah like Doc said. I like the sound of the gorget but I don't plan on getting too many drafts in my Hennessey. I was thinking about the Alpine addition but I don't think I will need it that warm. Maybe down to around freezing but I think an extra layer of clothes will do the trick. How does the material loft after being compressed. How compressed can you actually make 3D. Like can it be put in a compression sack and compressed to the size of a loaf of bread?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Yeah like Doc said. I like the sound of the gorget but I don't plan on getting too many drafts in my Hennessey. I was thinking about the Alpine addition but I don't think I will need it that warm. Maybe down to around freezing but I think an extra layer of clothes will do the trick. How does the material loft after being compressed. How compressed can you actually make 3D. Like can it be put in a compression sack and compressed to the size of a loaf of bread?
    Depends on how big you make the insulated portion of the quilt. That's the advantage of the draft stopper in a hammock, IMO - cut down on the insulation so it basically just covers the top of you (bottom/sides covered by UQ) and add the draft stopper to keep the warm air in around the sides. You could reduce a lot of weight/bulk that way.

I can't imagine getting one to the size of a loaf of bread without overcompressing. The 3D relofts well from what I've seen, but you don't want to overdo it.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Compression. How much is too much and how can you tell.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Compression. How much is too much and how can you tell.
    It's kind of subjective. My personal gauge is whether or not I have to put the sack on the ground to get it stuffed. If it goes in easily enough that I can hold the bag in one hand and stuff with the other, it's good. It's probably safe to compress more than that, but I'm kinda paranoid about it.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Nest might get to the size of a loaf of bread...I doubt 3D would do that without hurting it.

How far can it go? I just go by feel, really...if you're using all your weight to cinch it down, it's probably too much. If it feels like a bowling ball when you're done, it's probably too much. But then I don't like to compress my gear much.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I guess I need to be more careful how I compress my KAQ. I just put it in a compression sack and tighten that baby up. Luck for me I only did that once and all the other uses have been testing around the house.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    when i made the ray way quilt, it was one of my first major sewing projects w/o the help of my seamstress friend. also i wasn't taking my time the way i should have... so i came in farther than i should have when i was sewing the insulation to the two layers of shell material.
    so it turned out even more narrow than i intended.
    besides, i probably had already cut it more narrow than i should have (trying to watch those ozs you know<g>).
    it works pretty well, but i wish it was 8 or 10" wider because it's bad to pull up on the sides & expose me to the cold air
    so pay attention to the part where they warn about trying to save weight by making your quilt to narrow.
    if you wanted to make it more narrow latter, you could.

in that sloppy sewing i also took-up to much of the draft stopper, so it's only about 4" wide.
    i would consider attaching the draft stopper. i believe that it would be helpful in a hammock (or ground).
    if you decide you didn't need it, removing it would be no big deal.

and the gorjet is probably a good idea.

i have to say though... mine is not nearly as thick as it was when i first made it.
    i don't know if it's from over compression, or because i have stored it in a 50lb onion bag instead of laying it out flat, or a combination, but i would take care to respect the insulation.
    i brobably wouldn't try to compress it to but the size of about 2.5 loafs of bread<g>. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Definitely watch the compression.

On the width though, I think replacing insulation with draft stopper could work quite well. I haven't tried it yet - but soon!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast