Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Wish I could go but time for hiking this year is hard to find. I used a couple of different websites to plan my trips to the AFT. I found all of them to be helpful in one way or another. The AFT isn’t an incredibly difficult trail but I really enjoyed the fact that it traverses several different landscapes. Deep forest, rocky slopes with views, marsh lands, beautiful trout streams, and so on. I look forward to hearing what you all think of it.
    Peace,
    Gris
    AFT websites
    http://www.midatlantichikes.com/ Click on Pa map then select both the east and west loop of the AFT
    http://www.pahikes.com/trails/allegh...hiking-the-aft
    http://www.alleghenyfronttrail.info/ The official AFT website
    Thanks for the input Gris!! I am heading over to Black Moshannon S.P. early next week to talk to the rangers and get some current feedback from them. I am planning on doing some exploring and hanging two nights on the AFT June 15th and 16th or June 22nd and 23rd to scope things out so to speak, in prep for a 40 miler in July.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Allegheny Front Trail July 17th-22nd Hike

I Just got over to the Black Moshannon State Park park yesterday afternoon and talked to a Ranger and to the Office personal about the Allegheny Front Trail. It is in fairly good shape according to the park personal.
    I am hiking the trail on Saturday Morning June 23rd to just spend a night hanging on the edge of one of the Vistas to check things out so to speak in prep for the 4 or perhaps 5 day loop in July 17th-22nd time frame.
    I was just approved for Tuesday July 17th-Sunday July 22nd for time off.
    So Tuesday July 17th or Wednesday July 18th will be the start date, with a trail end date of Sunday morning the 22nd. Probally around noonish on one of those days for the start time to hit the trail. If the 18th is better for most people that want to join in on this adventure in the heart of Central Pennsylvania, then that will be the start date, otherwise it will be the 17th of July.
    I am also inviting anyone in the AFT (Allegheny Front Trail), area ( State College, Moshannon State Park area), an invite for my one-nighter on June 23rd. But I have no problems hiking alone. I'll probally start a seperate thread for that weekend.
    Here is some map info HERE
    I believe if you contact the Black Moshannon State park, they will send you out a very nice large map of the AFT.

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    I Just got over to the Black Moshannon State Park park yesterday afternoon and talked to a Ranger and to the Office personal about the Allegheny Front Trail. It is in fairly good shape according to the park personal.
    I am hiking the trail on Saturday Morning June 23rd to just spend a night hanging on the edge of one of the Vistas to check things out so to speak in prep for the 4 or perhaps 5 day loop in July 17th-22nd time frame.
    So Tuesday July 17th or Wednesday July 18th will be the start date, with a trail end date of Sunday morning the 22nd. Probally around noonish on one of those days for the start time to hit the trail. If the 18th is better for most people that want to join in on this adventure in the heart of Central Pennsylvania, then that will be the start date, otherwise it will be the 17th of July.
    I am also inviting anyone in the AFT (Allegheny Front Trail), area ( State College, Moshannon State Park area), an invite for my one-nighter on June 23rd. But I have no problems hiking alone. I'll probally start a seperate thread for that weekend.
    I believe if you contact the Black Moshannon State park, they will send you out a very nice large map of the AFT.
    MML, i'm there for the long trip and counting myself lucky to be in your most excellent company again. hope Two Tents and Ben (he's just a little black dog *woof*) can also make it, as well as other hammock forum friends. can't make the one-nighter since i'm 4 hours away

thanks for providing clear information and links. i'll see you tuesday or wednesday, depending on what other friends are doing. oh the joy!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow sounds great, I may be in that area at the time if you guys don't mind a Cajun with you. lol

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoubomber View Post
    Wow sounds great, I may be in that area at the time if you guys don't mind a Cajun with you. lol

no...(gasp) not...*Cajuns* ! lol!!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoubomber View Post
    As long as you learn how to say "youns" as in;
    "Are youns guys hiking the AFT in July?"

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbabyd View Post
    no...(gasp) not...*Cajuns* ! lol!!
    Mey, dont be scared sha! That's cajun for, I don't bite. Maybe I may have to dehydrate my famous Jambalaya for you yanks, just to break the ice!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As long as you learn how to say "youns" as in;
    "Are youns guys hiking the AFT in July?"
    ****, I forgot about "youns", the first time i heard that I was like, "WTH did he just say" lol.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The week of June 11th the keystone Trails Association will be spending the entire week on the AFT around Black Moshannon State Park doing trail maintenance. I will be joining them during the latter part of the week for a couple of days doing my part. So it looks like the trail will be in righteous condition for a 5 day hike Tuesday July 17-till Sunday morning the 22nd.
    If need be, we can start on Wednesday July 18th if that works out for most people.
    This is a great trail with some awesome vistas!!

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm in for the long version. (Tue start that is). Cajuns welcome!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast