WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps

0* or 20* UQ?

I am about to breakdown, admit I have a hammock habit, and buy an underquilt.

I live in Washington and most of my outdoor time is spent in the Cascades. I don't want to get caught in a cold snap in the mountains during winter. But, I also don't want to buy another underquilt just for the cold (but not fringed) parts of Fall and Spring.

I am thinking about buying a 0* UQ for Fall, Winter, and Spring. My biggest concern is that I am a very warm sleeper. My thinking is in "warmer" temperatures I can just vent the UQ or push it off to the side if it gets too warm. Is my thinking flawed?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Nothing wrong with a 0* UQ other than size and weight. If you're willing to carry it, then it will work fine anytime of year with venting or pushed off when necessary. You can be out in 50-60* weather using a winter UQ and not even feel like pulling the TQ over you till well into the night, it's kinda nice really. Conversely, I've been in the low teens with my 20* so I'd say it would handle Spring/Fall well provided that you have good wind protection.

I started with a 20* partial length UQ then got a 0* full length, never regretted having both. Now I'm considering a 50* partial length made with specialty fabric to apease my inner gram weenie.

Just figure that whatever you choose will probably not be your last UQ.

David

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    Another trick for using a winter UQ on a warmer night is to turn it upside down so that you are actually compressing it. Not original with me, but I like it because you don't get any drafts like you can with venting.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    UGQ 40* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adj Web Suspension
    I'm in the market also with a similar dilemma, ShadowAlpha has been letting me try out some quilts.
    I slept this past weekend in a 3/4 length 0 degree Phoenix.
    The temps were 58-60 degree. I did not vent it very much (I was too lazy to mess with it much) and was fine with a 50* top quilt.

Since I'm in north Georgia, I'm trying to decide between 40* and 20* UQ's.
    I feel your pain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps
    I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and summer temps will packbacking at altitude can drop into the upper 20's. I started out with a 0 degree underquilt and used that for a year in temperatures from the teens to the 50's without a problem. Venting is easy, and with a warmer underquilt, you can use less of a top quilt. That said, a 20 quilt could be taken colder with a windsock or an UQ protector. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by brazenatl View Post
    I'm in the market also with a similar dilemma, ShadowAlpha has been letting me try out some quilts.
    I slept this past weekend in a 3/4 length 0 degree Phoenix.
    The temps were 58-60 degree. I did not vent it very much (I was too lazy to mess with it much) and was fine with a 50* top quilt.

Since I'm in north Georgia, I'm trying to decide between 40* and 20* UQ's.
    I feel your pain.
    I am in North GA as well and went with a 20*. I recently slept out and the temps only got down to 60* and I was fine. I set it up in the dark and did not realize I had hung the UQ upside down as suggested. When I woke up in the morning I was thinking, if I am this comfortable at 60*, I'm going to freeze at 20* with this thing. Then when I saw it was upside down and compressing the down I thought, hummm maybe this will work into the 70's

I like to hike in the Whites of NH and that is the major reason I went with a 20*. I don't like being cold. If I was just going to use it down south here, I think I may have gone with a 40* to save the weight. The wife won't go out if it is going to be less than 40* anyway.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    UGQ 40* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adj Web Suspension
    I just ordered a 40* UQ. I almost always camp between early April and late October, so the 40* should take care of 90% of my needs. On the rare occasion that I will be in true cold weather I will adjust my kit accordingly.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brazenatl View Post
    I just ordered a 40* UQ. I almost always camp between early April and late October, so the 40* should take care of 90% of my needs. On the rare occasion that I will be in true cold weather I will adjust my kit accordingly.
    This describes my situation and I'm glad I chose the 40°. I've slept great down to about 35° and I'm sure I can get to 30° no problem. Below that, I'll need to get a 0° Incubator for my winter camping or else I'll be stuck on the ground

all depends what goes with it and location. personally i think youre better off to get a 20, save money and space and work on the rest of the kit to provide more warmth when needed.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hate mosquitoes (and therefore summer camping), but after I bought my HG 20* Phoenix (2 oz. overstuff) and 20* Burrow, I've been camping in temps up to 75 degrees at night. I never vented the UQ, but the TQ was kinda hot and I ended up with it only covering my legs. Overall, I'm pleased with the versatility of the 20* TQ/UQ.

I doubt I'll ever buy a summer TQ/UQ 'cause I'm a hot sleeper. In fact, I've been experimenting with just a pad underneath and wool blanket on top and that works fine too.

I've only had the TQ/UQ down to 17 degrees, but I might be able to get them down to 10 degrees. If I find I really enjoy the colder temps, I'm gonna have to pony up for a 0* TQ/UQ.

• + New Posts