MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

UL Bridge Hammock Questions

Ok, I keep going back and forth and back and forth between gathered and bridge and I never really can decide. Well I've got my gathered end figured out so this just might be the time I actually try to make a UL Bridge and just have the option of both.

But first, some advice please! I am wanting to make one the style of the Eureka Chrysalis without all the added bug and tent stuff. I know I'm not looking to make it with a huge curve in the edges and I'd love to be able to use my trekking poles as spreader bars without feeling like I'm going to snap them. The issue with that is my trekking poles are sectioned and collapsible, so I don't know if that affects anything.

Now my measurements are as such:
    Height - 5' 2.5"
    Shoulder Width - 16"
    Hip Width - 16"
    Weight fluctuates between 170-175lb

My questions are, what is the best width and length to give me the most comfortable lay with 1.9 Nylon fabric and what kind of curves to the middle could I do that would support my weight best. Also how do I create a suspension system for this? Any other advice I need about anything, tips, tricks, anything, for a first time bridge hammock?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

Have you had a chance to review the videos on How to Make a Grizz bridge? They are sticky'd so they appear at the top of each forum. There are 4 parts to the series.

There are also many threads in the DIY section that details the engineering of bridge hammocks. Using your trekking poles as spreader bars is perfectly doable and there are videos that show how that has been done to.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    As Brian mentioned there are many threads here on how to make them, use the newer ones first, they are more usually refined than the older threads. This is my favorite on design principles...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8537
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    I have some and It has helped me get a few things down, like I'm thinking I want mine to be about 70-72" long for my height plus some wiggle room, which Grizz suggested in his videos is done by adding 7" to your height measurement. But I am looking to make something closer to what BER posted in this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41702 than a traditional bridge.

After watching Grizz's videos again though, I came up with one more question. What material could I buy from diygearsupply that I could use instead of the sailor's material that Grizz uses to support his weight and connect the fabric to the spreaders? Or could I use something like Amsteel and channel it through the sides? If I could channel Amsteel through the sides, what kind of weight would that put on the seam that created the channel?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Alright It looks like I'm gonna want to do a layer of double fabric triple stitched if I channel Dynaglide through the sides and I might even grab a bit of silnyon to reinfoce the channels.

On to the next thing, My trekking pole. Any suggestions on how to adapt my pole to be a spreader bar. I'm not sure where on the pole I should attach the suspension and that will determine my other dimensions. My colapsed pole measures 28" from tip to end of handle, so it's plenty long enough for what I want. I just am not sure of how exactly to do it...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...ictureid=14942
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...ictureid=14941

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One issue with using cord for the suspension arc, is that it tends to cut into your leg when getting in and out of the hammock as well as when lounging in the hammock in chair mode. This is less of an issue when using webbing (at least 1/2" wide). Of course the webbing weighs more and is a little more bulk to contend with.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts