Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO tree straps no good. What kind??

So I just recieved my Hennesy Hammock a few days ago, this is the 1st hammock I have had. I forgot to order the longer tree straps with it so I purchased ENO straps from my local REI. Well all they did was keep streching out so I will be returing them. Does anyone have a recomandation on what else to use or should I just order the longer straps? I have read that climbing webbing works well. Thank you.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You have read incorrectly that Climbing webbing works well. Climbing webbing is nylon the same as the ENO straps are made from. You want straps made from Polyester. There are a number of vendors that participate here on the forum that sell the correct stuff that your looking for for hammock use. Some sell pre-made lengths and others of us make them custom to any length you would like.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    While your getting straps consider your options... you might like shorter straps and whoopies than a continuos length of strapping.
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images

Very cool patterns for Tree Huggers

Keep it simple: 2 yellow 1" x 12' ratchet straps (poly - not nylon!) rated at 1200# (300 # breaking). Four bucks at Harbor Freight. Use for tree wrap & hammock suspension - all in one. Tie with slip knot to hammock cont loop. No biner, buckles, gimmicks, nothing. You'll have to cut off the metal ends of the straps to preserve the loops. Around tree twice, then thru loop...to hammock!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Go for the polyester with loop sewn on one end like you can get from Arrowhead Equipment. Think about the size of trees you'll be wrapping around and decide on the length. Being new to hammocking, I'm enjoying fiddling with the whoopie slings attached to the webbing using a marlin spike hitch with toggles. I understand the webbing and buckles are more straightforward, but it's all good.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    You have read incorrectly that Climbing webbing works well. Climbing webbing is nylon the same as the ENO straps are made from. You want straps made from Polyester. There are a number of vendors that participate here on the forum that sell the correct stuff that your looking for for hammock use. Some sell pre-made lengths and others of us make them custom to any length you would like.
    Paul makes good stuff, I have some of his webbing good stuff always happy when I deal with arrowhead equipment, or for that matter any of the cottage guys here will treat you right

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hopefully you can send the eno tree straps back. They are the total pits.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Also, you might want to check out the All-In-One system sold by SmokeBait at www.whoopieslings.com. I've converted all my hammocks to his system, and along with a Dutch clip, it's the simplest system to use. No fear in forgetting your tree straps, everything is all attached.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Polyester....Polyester is low stretch and is 5 times more abrasive and uv resistant than Nylon. Polyester is also 100% water proof. Nylon is not.
    Nylon is usually used by climbers where stretch is useful. It acts like a bungee in case of a fall and lessens the sudden shock on equipment and body.
    Although, Polyester/Static rope is used for rappelling.

Also, you should use polyester thread with polyester webbing. Webbing can easily be hand stitched [X] with heavy thread. You should also fold the ends of polyester webbing under a stitch since it will eventually fray a little on the ends.

Make sure it's polyester and not the cheaper Polypropylene or Polyethylene webbing. If in question, throw a piece in some water. Polypro and polyeth will float. Polyester and Nylon will sink.

The most reliable way to tell the difference between a small piece of Nylon and Polyester is by heating. Place a small pc of each on a metal sheet and heat the metal sheet. The nylon will begin to melt before the polyester.

Also. When wet, Nylon can loose up to 30% of it's holding strength. Polyester will not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast