DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Meh, most of the folks I know in day-to-day life think I'm crazy already. So, camping in an hammock is just an extension of that.

On the other hand, I do know a few folks who already use or have thought about using an hammock. So...

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    doesn't matter if you are in a tent or a hammock. Most folks think your friggin crazy to go out in the woods and sleep much less to use the bathroom
    Thank goodness!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Amongst my family it's various levels of amusment but I suppose they think I must know what I'm doing because I do so many winter outings, then again I'm about the the only really avid camper or hiker in the family.

At church, I've started to acquire a bit of a reputation as a hammock expert. It seems that a fair number of the congregation have traveled to Brazil on missions and the sleeping accomodations are almost always hedgies (Brazillian hammocks). Some are a bit less than enthusiastic about having to sleep in a hammock, I typically get questions about netting and insulation.

David

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    – Wait, what, you are going to hike and sleep up the moutain/in the woods? Alone?? In winter???In a what???? A hammock?????

For most people, "camping" means a place crowded with tents, caravans and barbecues, or established cabins… so at first they think we are crazy, but once you explain a bit, they think it is pretty cool and interesting.

What always surprises me is that fear of sleeping alone in a remote area, like if the woods were filled with psycho-killers behind every tree and giant blood-thirsty squirrels awaiting to rip your jugulars…
    But often the same people find is perfectly normal and safe to go out at 2am in some shady bar with drunk morons. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendule View Post

For most people, "camping" means a place crowded with tents, caravans and barbecues, or established cabins… so at first they think we are crazy, but once you explain a bit, they think it is pretty cool and interesting
    That's pretty much my in laws. My family makes the case pretty well by saying bears have better odds at a state park with 300 groups with coolers and bins full of food than out in the woods with the food hung up in the tree. My father in law is an accountant so he recognizes the statistics, now he just stays home.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    I've converted all of my non-hanging friends....Just put another notch in the bed post last night.... Thats the advantage of having a hammock stand in your back yard.

Most the people I talk to can't even wrap their heads around why I go out into the woods, but for some reason, when I explain how and why I sleep above ground they understand that. "makes sense" is the most common reply.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Anyone of my friends that camp have been very interested in our hammocks. In fact 3 of them are saving funds to buy some. But I have found that most of my old friends Ive known for years only go outside if they have to. You know, to mow their yards and such. Mention hiking in the winter and they just stare at me dumbstruck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Most people I talk to including the wife and family dont think Im so crazy for sleeping in a hammock but think Im insane for hiking in the woods for multiple days and weeks sometimes. My favorite reaction people have when I tell them I use a hammock and with a peculiar look they say "well where does it go" And i always answer "between two trees" and always with a bit of a smurk on my face.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    My in-laws are endlessly amused, and explain "hangs" and my hobby to others in pretty much the same way they would explain a family member who bites the heads off of chickens for fun and profit.
    You can do it for profit too? We need to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I get some very weird looks and stares, when I mention I'm camping in a hammock. They think I'm crazy.
    I get the same but from people that know me it doesn't surprise them so much as it confirms some opinions they may have already formed.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Many years ago I accepted the fact that I am not like most people. Their reactions don't figure large in my life and I just enjoy myself. Most of them just say "What is she doing now?!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast