Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappy View Post
    Ok, so in my case, I posted in the forums that I had sent an offer, as in "PM sent with offer". That offer being a full price offer to the seller. Then the seller sold it to the next guy who posted "I'll take it". I didn't say pending any counter-offer or anything, I just said "Offer Sent". I took that to be an "I'll take it" type of post. If I'm wrong here, that's fine, but I CLEARLY stated that I had made the offer first in the forum. It's just frustrating because I made the commitment to the scoutmaster on this item on the assumption that the OFFER I made was basically a done deal. If I lost the deal because of a poor choice of words, then fine, that's just my fault. But I thought the intent was clear, and this type of a post should hold standing.

-Sap
    Why not just reply with "I'll take it" when you were going to offer full price and had full intent to buy it?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

Inquiry to Offer

The only reason is because initially I had posted that "PM sent with Inquiry", and I just changed that "inquiry" to "offer". Shoulda just changed it completely to "I'll take it". Lesson learned I guess.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I think the first " I'll take it" post should get the item....period. Anything other than that gets trumped by an subsequent "I'll take it" post. I know that some will say that they would take an item if they knew certain info like size, color, age, condition. But if someone is willing to pay full price with no questions or exceptions, then they should get the item. If you have questions or want to negotiate a price, then you should accept the risk of losing the item. I do agree that sellers should put as much/accurate info in their for sale ad as possible to cut down on the follow-up questions. Sellers should also follow up with a post indicating that the item is sold in a timely manner.
    I'll take it, or I'll take it, PM sent, should be the only accepted purchase posts. Not "I'm interested, I have questions, dibs pending xyz." Take it or leave it. I think a simple and clear system eliminates problems.
    If you assume both of these, it only encourages sellers to put up items with less than full descriptions (regardless of what they should be doing) in hopes that someone pulls the trigger without asking about a trait of the item that would reduce the value.

For example, if the seller doesn't post new/used, a buyer may assume new even if an item is used, perhaps even abused. The buyer that would ask new/used and wait for the answer (e.g. "I'll take it pending new/used") would be trumped by the buyer who didn't think to ask that and therefore would pay the price as if the item were new.

Without using the "I'll take it pending [clarification question]" and allowing simple "I'll take it" to trump that, you are rewarding ambiguous listings.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    If you assume both of these, it only encourages sellers to put up items with less than full descriptions (regardless of what they should be doing) in hopes that someone pulls the trigger without asking about a trait of the item that would reduce the value.
    I guess it was inevitable... but saddens me to see this level of distrust build in this community. Seems to me the original purpose of the For Sale forum is getting lost. Sheesh folks.... it was for divesting oneself of excess gear. Not a competition to see who can outwit who and snipe the purchase. I guess I'll stop reading the For Sale postings. I don't need the mind games that seem to be creeping in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    I would hope that HF folks are above such tactics. I just think that clear and simple rules keep things working in the best manner possible.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 05-21-2012 at 09:02.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I guess it was inevitable... but saddens me to see this level of distrust build in this community. Seems to me the original purpose of the For Sale forum is getting lost. Sheesh folks.... it was for divesting oneself of excess gear. Not a competition to see who can outwit who and snipe the purchase. I guess I'll stop reading the For Sale postings. I don't need the mind games that seem to be creeping in.
    I completely agree, but I've unfortunately seen it happen a few times, whether intentional or not (I can't judge a person's intent, only their actions). And while I would prefer to and have assumed it was completely unintentional, the fact stands that leaving that window open allows for someone to be taken advantage of because they trust the seller based on that exact HF level of trust and fairness that you've referenced.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Why not just keep all questions and return offers public?

I think that keeping such discussion public clarifies all these problems; doesn't it?

I post,
    Hey I'm interested
    Tell me xyz about the item?
    Will you accept xyz as payment?
    If so, I'll take it

Seller should reply in the thread. That would make it all a matter of public record, If there ever was a conern about an item not received and someone had to file a PP claim to recover funds. Only payment & shipping info should be discussed in PM.

Is there something wrong with this that I'm missing?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl. & hk2001
    Tarp
    MLD cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    yeti, crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies, bulltape
    I think cataraftgirl has it right. There is no ambiguity in "I'll take it". If you have further questions and want to ask them, that is not a commitment to buy. I've bought quite a few things here and have yet to be disappointed.
    Tonight I'm howlin' at a foreign moon, might as well be a junkie's spoon.

John Hiatt

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This thread is somewhat wide of the OP's question, which was about making explicit 'I'll Take It' posts. The answer to that is - Yes, you should...otherwise you may get out-claimed. "Offer Sent" isn't good enough. Neither is "PM Sent" or "PM with Offer". Offers are not claims.

If you have either a question or an offer about an item, it's up to you to either post that in thread, or to PM the seller directly. But, that offer or question *does not* put a claim in place. Only explicit in-thread claim posts do.

It is up to the seller to make sure the listings are accurate and honest. It is also up to the seller to follow the correct order of claims in thread. Failure to follow the rules, or dishonesty about an item's condition, will often result in loss of access to the Marketplace.

Since this thread is starting to wander, and be a source of opinion about the rules rather than direct interpretation, we'll close it here. If you have specific questions about the rules, or how they are applied to a particular thread, I would encourage you to contact a moderator directly. That's the quickest and most accurate way to see how the rules apply to a given situation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123