Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I'm always SO bloody cold when I sleep in a tent. I find all the moisture in the ground gets sucked up into my tent and just CHILLS everything. Whereas with my hammock I'm not touching the ground so it can't get to me.

I also have troubles with the whole princess and the pea syndrome. The tiniest rocks under my pad keep me up all damned night.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Just lounging in a hammock for 15 minutes or so, will really give you a boost in the middle of a long hike.

The last time I slept in one of my Hennessys, one that I don't use anymore, I found the hammock upside down in the morning. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I didn't use the side cords. I didn't have my full weight on the netting, because the hammock had sagged enough that my rear was resting gently on the ground. My legs were also sticking up out the entry slot in a strange way. I did had a bout of roughly tossing and turning a few nights earlier, so it must have been a repeat of that performance, but I suppose I was sleeping well enough in the HAMMOCK to not wake up. I've almost always slept better in hammocks, which could be due to exhaustion after a good day in the outdoors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So after spending the last few NIGHTs in my hammock for the first time. I found interesting results. Basically the same thing happens to me when I nap as when I sleep for the night. I toss and turn. This was the the interesting thing. Night one I felt as if I tossed and turned for the first part of the night. Went to bed about 9:30 at night and didnt really think I fell asleep until about mid-night. I fell asleep around mid-night and other than a few times to turn over I slept sound. To my surprise I woke up at 5:30 (alarm set for 6;00) with out an alarm, very rested. Its like when you sleep in on a sunday morning and wake up late fully refreshed. My hammock gave this to in five and a half hours. To my surprise I felt great. I guess even though I toss and turn and get less hours of sleep I must get a very good sleep. This happened the second night as well.
    Conclusion. For me I (so far in my two nights of hammocking with lots of napping) I toss and turn in my hammock (as I do in bed) while trying to fall asleep. Once I'm asleep in the hammock I sleep great and get a very good quality of sleep. I find I can sleep less hours with the same "refreshed" feeling compared to my bed. I give hammocks a stamp of approval!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter +
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Although apnea and sleep labs were mentioned above, there is another issue that could be at play here. Many of us "modern" humans are operating every day with severely misaligned bodies. I had a sacroiliac joint dysfunction that went undiagnosed by multiple Dr's over a several year period. When I finally found an orthopedic doctor that recognized that my knee problem was really centered in my pelvis and then spent five months in PT to work it out it was like a miracle. All of my back, knee and shoulder problems disappeared. I also found that for the first time in years I could lay down on my back and sleep comfortably through the night. If you are not able to comfortably sleep, keep pushing for the root cause.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
    Although apnea and sleep labs were mentioned above, there is another issue that could be at play here. Many of us "modern" humans are operating every day with severely misaligned bodies. I had a sacroiliac joint dysfunction that went undiagnosed by multiple Dr's over a several year period. When I finally found an orthopedic doctor that recognized that my knee problem was really centered in my pelvis and then spent five months in PT to work it out it was like a miracle. All of my back, knee and shoulder problems disappeared. I also found that for the first time in years I could lay down on my back and sleep comfortably through the night. If you are not able to comfortably sleep, keep pushing for the root cause.
    Well I dont know to much about sleep apnea so of course I'm going to say I dont have it! Really once I'm in bed I might roll over to or three times until I'm comfortable. The rest of the night (even though I wake up in a new position) I'm out. On average it takes me about 15 minutes to fall asleep once the lights go out. Its not that I really even toss and turn as much as wiggle something. Might lay on my back and flex my toes or something like that. I dont know that I'm doing it but my wife notices. She usually wont cuddle me cuz it annoys her. Me I dont notice and in 15 I'm gone for the night.

The same thing happens in a hammock and this week I'm spending every night in it almost as an experiment. Usually whenever I sleep anywhere but my own bed at home (hotel, camp, hammock) it takes 2-3 nights until I'm used to the bed and get a good full night sleep. Before this week I only ever took naps in my hammock and I wonder if part of the tossing around is because its a "new" bed. If this is true each night I spend in the hammock there should be less moving and more sleeping. I am only on day two with night three tonight and so far each night is better than the last.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    This is kinda off topic, but since the thread has taken a swing in this direction anyways...

I used to have trouble with sleeping too. Since I was little it would take me hours to actually fall asleep, I'd toss and turn and get up and go to the bathroom, get anxious and just sit in my bed for a while, then I'd finally get so tired I'd finally fall asleep. Then I was talking with a co-worker last summer and she had just read a book called 'You're not sick, you're thirsty"(Can't remember then name of the author) and she told me that lots of the time people can't sleep because they are partially dehydrated, and that the book suggests that everyone should drink a glass of water before they go to bed and when they get up. And if a person still has trouble sleeping sucking on a grain of sea salt should help.

Since she told me that, every time I have trouble sleeping at night I get up and drink a fairly large glass of water and I find I can get to sleep shortly after that.

I dunno if it's a big load of hokey-pokey but it works for me.

Just throwing in my 2 pennies. It helped me, maybe it will help someone else.

Is this off topic too? The big trick for me to sleep well anywhere is to s-t-r-e-t-c-h. It always results in far better sleep, and drink water just before bed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Lightbulb drinking water = sleep

Quote Originally Posted by QChan View Post
    This is kinda off topic, but since the thread has taken a swing in this direction anyways...

I used to have trouble with sleeping too. Since I was little it would take me hours to actually fall asleep, I'd toss and turn and get up and go to the bathroom, get anxious and just sit in my bed for a while, then I'd finally get so tired I'd finally fall asleep. Then I was talking with a co-worker last summer and she had just read a book called 'You're not sick, you're thirsty"(Can't remember then name of the author) and she told me that lots of the time people can't sleep because they are partially dehydrated, and that the book suggests that everyone should drink a glass of water before they go to bed and when they get up. And if a person still has trouble sleeping sucking on a grain of sea salt should help.

Since she told me that, every time I have trouble sleeping at night I get up and drink a fairly large glass of water and I find I can get to sleep shortly after that.

I dunno if it's a big load of hokey-pokey but it works for me.

Just throwing in my 2 pennies. It helped me, maybe it will help someone else.
    You know its really funny you bring this up. It doesnt happen often but when I have a hard time falling asleep due to an over-active mind or what ever the reason I often think "If I just get up and walk around the house for a minute I will be able to fall asleep". With out fail I get out of bed, go straight to the kitchen for a tall glass of water, then go back to bed and fall asleep pretty fast. I always thought it was the "walk" that got my mind of things and let me go to bed. It never crossed my mind that it might be the water. Hmmm interesting

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I sleep no where else (In my hammock) unless I am on the trail & want a short nap. Went to take a "Short nap" before a easy walk to see the Overmountain shelter then to places unknown. The plan was 1 hr TOPS, , , well, FOUR HOURS LATER I woke up

I find the hammock way to comfortable to take a nap in, so I suppose I don't really understand your problem But I think that as you get used to sleeping in a hammock you will toss & turn less, and will find that it's easier to turn as you get "practiced". I have woke 8 hrs after going to bed in exactly the same position as when I went to sleep, & even in a bed I have to wake up to turn (I just do, have always done so) so I know I didn't move all night.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I got a chance to take a nap after work the other day & when i started waking up, I was sleeping so good I didn't want to wake up & didn't for a while... kept going back to sleep.
    Then I started trying to figure out what day it was & was thinking I needed to get up & take a shower.
    Then I realized it was just an afternoon nap... & I didn't have to take no shower
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast