Looking for lightweight bug sock

WTB/WTT: Bug Sock

My wife and I use DD screened in hammocks. Being screened in, you must stay in the hammock bed while you're in. My daughter is a bit more twitchy and fidgety, and likes to hang her legs over the sides, or sit with her feet down - while still being protected from bugs. I'm thinking the only real way to achieve this is to use an open (no bug net) hammock and an external bug sock. This would give her a bit more freedom. I've looked at the commercial bug socks, and they all seem to be around a pound, which seems heavy. If that's what it weighs, then so be it though.

I've been impressed with the talents and generosity of people here, so I want to give back a small piece by supporting the cottage industry people here, as opposed to the big companies. If you make a simple to use and reasonably durable bug sock, please let me know. Thanks, and I look forward to dealing with you.

Cheers all,
    Bristolview

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    WTB/WTT: Bug Sock

My wife and I use DD screened in hammocks. Being screened in, you must stay in the hammock bed while you're in. My daughter is a bit more twitchy and fidgety, and likes to hang her legs over the sides, or sit with her feet down - while still being protected from bugs. I'm thinking the only real way to achieve this is to use an open (no bug net) hammock and an external bug sock. This would give her a bit more freedom. I've looked at the commercial bug socks, and they all seem to be around a pound, which seems heavy. If that's what it weighs, then so be it though.

I've been impressed with the talents and generosity of people here, so I want to give back a small piece by supporting the cottage industry people here, as opposed to the big companies. If you make a simple to use and reasonably durable bug sock, please let me know. Thanks, and I look forward to dealing with you.

Cheers all,
    Bristolview
    ENO Guardian Bug Net has plenty of room for the kiddo's feet dangling, it surrounds completely.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Warbonnets and wilderness logics are about 8 oz.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

I've looked at the ENO, but it's a full pound which seems... much. It's also $50 which also seems... much. Plus, I'd rather support the cottage industry guys if I can.

Thanks for the tips about Warbonnets and Wilderness Logics, I didn't know about those options.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I haves a tulle bug sock from papa smurf over at Dream Hammocks. Weight is a few ounces craftsmanship is top notch quality and he's a great guy taboot. I can weigh my later when I get home but I remember it def. being under eight ounces though.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    The problem with Mosquito netting is that the good stuff is heavy and expensive.
    I bought some pretty tough Tulle once with the thought that I was going to use it once or twice. Turns out I used it for a whole season. There's some good quality ultra lite Tulle out there somewhere, but not the Walmart stuff. Forgot where I got that stuff, I buy so many different material from all over the place. There is a guy on Ebay selling some OD green Polypropylene mos-quit-o netting from Taiwan.
    (here)>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosquito-Net...item2c5af073ae
    It's really light and more rugged than Tulle, but, I thought the holes were too big for around here. They're twice the size of the holes in the average netting. Mosquitoes must be big in Taiwan.
    Good Luck!

Thanks. I have done some tulle work before, but it shredded quickly - probably had the cheapo stuff. I've been phobic of tulle ever since. And yes, skeeters are large over in Taiwan, no winter to kill them off and start over, they just keep growing. Not to mention how many there are in the backcountry.

• + New Posts