Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    DIY whoppie slings

climbing buckle suspension

Has anyone used a buckle from a climbing harness on a hammock. I have a dd hammock so I have cut the tape short then fitted a buckle to the hammock side. I then have got some climbing tape what I will use as a tree huger and the connection strap to the buckle. Do yous think it will work ?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by simonmx23 View Post
    Has anyone used a buckle from a climbing harness on a hammock. I have a dd hammock so I have cut the tape short then fitted a buckle to the hammock side. I then have got some climbing tape what I will use as a tree huger and the connection strap to the buckle. Do yous think it will work ?
    Welcome to the forums simon, do you have a picture of the buckle you speak of?
    Reason I ask is, there is several methods to hang a hammock, and they all have their own associated gear. Nomenclature can also vary, especially by continent you live on. A "buckle" to some folks in the states could mean a "triglide" to someone else.

Using "climbing tape"... Are you referring to something like Metolius Climbing Tape? This one concerns me. The standard practice would be to use 1" polyester straps with at least 1000 lbs (454 Kgs) that won't stretch, climbing tape is nowhere near strong enough to support the tension required to keep you airborne.

If you can post a picture on what you plan to use, there are a ton of people on the forum who'll be glad to assist.

Stay safe...
    Shnick
    Last edited by Shnick; 04-06-2012 at 07:25.
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    DIY whoppie slings
    The tape is just over a inch and the buckle is off the waist band of a climbing harness I tryed to upload a pic but it will not let me from my iPod touch

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    THIS is how you post pictures, you might need to be at a PC to do it.

First add the pics to your gallery and then paste the BB code text into the posting. It'll make its own thumbnail.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I would be concerned with the buckle. The reason I think that is the major load on a climbing harness is not on the belt. It is on the leg harness. Not saying the buckle is not strong but does it compare to a carabiner?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    DIY whoppie slings
    It will be nowhere near as strong as a carabiner but I think it still has about 200 pound test load. The tape I using is what I use for slack lining so I know it takes my weigh.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Climbing and hammocking are two very different things and apply force to the gear in different ways. Most of us work to use equipment that will take a 1000 pound minimum static load for suspension without stretch. This includes both any hard wear and any rope/webbing components. There are buckles available that function much like a climbing belt buckle from Petzl but are made to handle the loads and stresses as they apply to hammocks. 200 pounds load is no where close to what you want for your hammock suspension...now it may hold and it may work for a long time (possibly) but it's not uncommon around here to hear about someone that broke gear that was "rated" to 300-400 pounds, there are just simply different forces at work.

Webbing wise most climbing rated (I would lump slack lining gear in the same category) webbings are rope get their high ratings and strength by being nylon. Nylon has a great deal of stretch, the stretch is how the high ratings are achieved. As the material stretches it absorbs and gives under load dispersing the force of the load out over a greater area. You more than likely set up your slack line get it tight then give it a few bounces and then retention it depending on how tight of a line you like to walk. In a hammock that process is a pain in the but and takes more time for the stretching to take place. So when you set up for the night, hop in and then at 3 am your butt is dragging on the dirt you have to get out and re-adjust you suspension.....this can happen several times over the course of the night. Most of us look to avoid this process as dragging bottom can damage your hammock or under quilt and is just a bother when you want to be sleeping. So that is why we use polyester webbing rather than nylon.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    Welcome to the forums simon, do you have a picture of the buckle you speak of?
    Reason I ask is, there is several methods to hang a hammock, and they all have their own associated gear. Nomenclature can also vary, especially by continent you live on. A "buckle" to some folks in the states could mean a "triglide" to someone else.

Using "climbing tape"... Are you referring to something like Metolius Climbing Tape? This one concerns me. The standard practice would be to use 1" polyester straps with at least 1000 lbs (454 Kgs) that won't stretch, climbing tape is nowhere near strong enough to support the tension required to keep you airborne.

If you can post a picture on what you plan to use, there are a ton of people on the forum who'll be glad to assist.

Stay safe...
    Shnick
    Here is pictures of the harness buckle he is talking about.

It would essentially do the same job as the two rap rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I would be concerned with the buckle. The reason I think that is the major load on a climbing harness is not on the belt. It is on the leg harness. Not saying the buckle is not strong but does it compare to a carabiner?
    The load is spread between all three. There is harnesses that have buckles on the leg loops.

All they do is prevent the belt and loops from opening.
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

• + New Posts