Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    There is so much to learn when first getting started. Glad you gave it a go and kudos for taking on the mid 30's. I look forward to reading about your next hang. Good luck!
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Good effort! The important thing is you went out there. Regroup, try some things at home, get an underquilt and get back out there.

S

Hammock
    DD Travel (2012)
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pro 4
    Suspension
    Skin of my teeth
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I would say that you didn't fail, you just didn't completely succeed. You deserve kudos for getting out there and giving it a shot, and now you know what you will need to do next time or which equipment you'd really like to have. I envy you the short time you were out there, looks like a great place to hang out.
    Totally agree, not get out there is the fail (imo) I've had some cold nights when experimenting with new stuff or different combos of kit. You will find what works for you and that half the fun...

Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Try with the pad IN the sleeping bag.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Very pretty area there. Thanks for sharing!

You said your shoulders were cold, not your behind. How wide of a pad are you using? 'Cause it could be that your shoulders are hanging off the edges of the pad when the hammock wraps around you.

That's not a problem when you're on the ground, since the pad elevates your shoulders so that the bag or quilt you're using can loft into the unused space. However, in the hammock, the hammock is supporting and contacting you in that area as well as where the pad is, causing the bag or quilt to compress against you and lose loft.

It's one of the secrets to comfort in a hammock (since the weight of your body against the hammock is more spread out than when you're sleeping on the ground, eliminating pressure points), but also one of the reasons that staying warm is more of a challenge in the hammock than on the ground.

To eliminate this, try an SPE or even just another cut-down pad placed in a "T" formation with the one you already have. It should help to eliminate cold shoulders by wrapping further around them and preventing the hammock from collapsing your insulation.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Nice pics mate! Good first hang!

If you want to have a cheap UQ, not too many DIY skills, try Dejoha No Sew PLUQ (Poncho Liner Underquilt).

I am trying it out this Spring to Autumn, so far, so good (first hang last weekend with it).

Grtz Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I had a similar experience my first time and making a UQ from an old sleeping bag did do the trick. I also tried a USGI Poncho Liner Underquilt as notoed above, and it worked as well. Once you get that under insulation, the expereince is fantastic.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UK hammock UQ & SB
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I would say that you didn't fail, you just didn't completely succeed. You deserve kudos for getting out there and giving it a shot, and now you know what you will need to do next time or which equipment you'd really like to have. I envy you the short time you were out there, looks like a great place to hang out.
    Thanks! It was a really great place to hang. I have been out before in a tent but this time was so much more special because it was IN a forest and not on the edge of one... HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    There is so much to learn when first getting started. Glad you gave it a go and kudos for taking on the mid 30's. I look forward to reading about your next hang. Good luck!
    Thing is that it wasn't supposed to go below 40... I was caught unprepared even though I could have easily brought more appropriate gear.. BUT NEXT TIME......

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Good effort! The important thing is you went out there. Regroup, try some things at home, get an underquilt and get back out there.

S
    I will! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post
    Try with the pad IN the sleeping bag.
    That is a very good idea. I have the WBBB 1.1 DL and had the pad between the layers. Putting it in the bag might be better...

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Very pretty area there. Thanks for sharing!

You said your shoulders were cold, not your behind. How wide of a pad are you using? 'Cause it could be that your shoulders are hanging off the edges of the pad when the hammock wraps around you.

That's not a problem when you're on the ground, since the pad elevates your shoulders so that the bag or quilt you're using can loft into the unused space. However, in the hammock, the hammock is supporting and contacting you in that area as well as where the pad is, causing the bag or quilt to compress against you and lose loft.

It's one of the secrets to comfort in a hammock (since the weight of your body against the hammock is more spread out than when you're sleeping on the ground, eliminating pressure points), but also one of the reasons that staying warm is more of a challenge in the hammock than on the ground.

To eliminate this, try an SPE or even just another cut-down pad placed in a "T" formation with the one you already have. It should help to eliminate cold shoulders by wrapping further around them and preventing the hammock from collapsing your insulation.

Hope it helps!
    An SPE might do the trick but since I really want a real UQ I was hoping to avoid investing in the SPE. Not planing to do much "off season" hanging, so as long as the final setup can take me to the low 30s i think im good.

Thanks for commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Nice pics mate! Good first hang!

If you want to have a cheap UQ, not too many DIY skills, try Dejoha No Sew PLUQ (Poncho Liner Underquilt).

I am trying it out this Spring to Autumn, so far, so good (first hang last weekend with it).

Grtz Johan
    I was looking at this the other day... looks like a fun project... I dont mind the DIY stuff. Accualt thinking of making my own down UQ... Got a good place for buying HQ down and have a friend that will do the sewing... But maybe this will be a good startingpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I had a similar experience my first time and making a UQ from an old sleeping bag did do the trick. I also tried a USGI Poncho Liner Underquilt as notoed above, and it worked as well. Once you get that under insulation, the expereince is fantastic.
    Thanks!
    //Frans
    Dad, marketeer, eventmaker, Wordpress buff, ciderist, baconar and happy hanger.

For all projects in life, the odds of success are directly proportional to the quality of the duct tape that holds it together.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    there is definitely a learning curve. hang in there, (pun intended) you will/must figure it out! You will definitely be rewarded!

Ebola

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123