Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker

Question Scoutmaster needs your guidance

Hello all,

I am a Scoutmaster with Troop 59 in Point Pleasant, PA. As a troop, our goal this year is to move towards higher adventure camping. For the most part we are accostomed to car camping (pull up to the site, unload copius amounts of gear, set up, etc.). Not very adventerous. By next Summer we will be backpacking.

The guidance I need is for myself. I want to break away from tenting and gear up for light weight backpacking with a hammock as part of my gear.

So far I am drawn to the Hennessey Explorer Ultralite Asym and would plan on adding an undercover and underpad as well.

My goal is to purchase something lightweight, durable and comfortable. We camp from Sept through July so weather runs the full spectrum from hot and humid to near 0 temps and ice on the ground.

I have browsed most of the manufacturers web sites, read countless threads and articles. My hat is off to those of you who make your own. Sounds like something to think about down the road. Any guidance, thoughts, personal experience etc will be greatly appreciated. As you know this is not a small purchase!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yours In Scouting,

Dave

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to the forum daretowin. I started with a Hennesy Expedition. Still have it, but I prefer my Claytor. The Claytor is longer (more comfy), has two layers of material (body & pad cover), the body is waterproof, plus the zippered bugnet. I sound like a advertisement. Where's Neo ? Anyway, any hammock you read about here is a safe bet. I would say the best is just a matter of preference. JMHO.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I have to agree with Darby about preference and all, and I don't have experience with all the different hammocks. I'm sure they all have different advantages...but I made my choice and I'll throw another vote in there for the Claytor Jungle Hammock (mosquitohammock.com)

Here's what helped me choose:
    The biggest issue I had to figure out was how to insulate the hammock. The Claytor accommodates a pad better than most of the others because you lay straight, not diagonal, and it has I pad sleeve (double layer). So I didn't have to spend more money on an underquilt and such. It's super comfortable because of it's length. I recommend the Claytor JH for a first hammock because I think there is less of a learning curve, you can utilize the sleeping pad you already have, and it's much less expensive than some of the other comparable hammocks. At $150 it's hard to beat.

Best of luck with the search. And anything beats the ground!!

I'd like to see the Boy Scouts of America hammocking vs. tent camping. Plus I'd like to see the Boy Scouts of America in American hammocks. Henessey makes a majority of their hammocks in China but is remiss readily admitting the fact.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Dave I live in Lancaster County 5 minutes off the turnpike. I have a very wide assortment of hammocks and accessory gear. If you would like to check it out first hand PM me. I have DIY hammock, commercial hammocks, and modified hammocks. I also have different types of suspensions, tarps, top quilts, under quilts, pads, pad extenders, you name it I probably got it. I also am down for hiking if the weekend is free. There is nothing like trying things for yourself. Other then that you can find quite a bit of info here.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    Hi Dave,

Great minds think alike they say. I too am a Scoutmaster of troop 455 in South Bend, IN. My story is the same as yours ... car/truck camping once a month year round. I've bought the material and should be starting my hammock tomorrow evening.

I would like to take the scouts backpacking or on a canoe trip next summer using hammocks. So I figured I'd better set the example and camp this month in one.

Good Luck !
    Mike

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I spent 10 years in scouting, all the way up to my 18th birthday, and always did it car camping, or with a puptent backpacking. I have tried to talk with the local troop about backpacking, and light wieght gear, but they mostly car camp. This spring I was out with some neighbor boys on a local trail. We were there for 4 days, had at most had 20 pound packs (minus water), and all of us were in hammocks. On the third day, our local troop came up on our camp, all carrying 30-50 pound packs (I swear one had a dutch oven in his ). They looked over our packs and hammocks in amazement, because they were only there for 2 days. They gave me the "Be Prepared" motto, and I told them that I was. Light weight does not mean stupid.

Good luck on your switch, I own Hennessys, DIY, and Claytor's, and I like Claytors over Hennessey's as well.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images
    From a fellow Scoutmaster, you have found the right place

I Have the HH exped UL , had a zipper installed (search on this topic) vastly improved the utility of that one and it is my main hang, get a zipper if you get this one. also switched to cinch buck suspension I am in the minority on this, but I like the bottom entry of the HH

I Have a speer, a claytor NoNet, and a DD travel hammock. took three to summer camp and should have the troop switched over by next year. The speer "roll you own" could be a good troop project.
    The claytors are very comfortable. I would take up the offer to go see some examples. Even the scout shop here is starting to carry eno hammocks

YIS

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    I'd like to see the Boy Scouts of America hammocking vs. tent camping. Plus I'd like to see the Boy Scouts of America in American hammocks. Henessey makes a majority of their hammocks in China but is remiss readily admitting the fact.
    I SECOND THAT AND THERE ARE ALLOT OF HAMMOCKS MADE OUT OF THIS COUNTRY

BUY FROM SOMEONE THAT MAKES AND SELLS IN THE STATES AND THAT DOES NOT USE SLAVE LABOR TO BUILD IT. EVEN BETTER BUY FROM A COTTAGE MANUFACTURE IF YOU CAN.

I MEAN NO HARM BY SAYING THIS BUT IF THE (BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA ARE GOING TO START HANGING LETS START BY TEACHING THEM THE RIGHT THINGS ABOUT SUPPORTING AMERICA AND NOT BUY IF YOU CAN FROM A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.) You can make your own and do it as a Scout project and have them build there own or you can steer them in the right direction to get AMERICAN made equipment when you can.

The Claytor is built and shipped from Thailand not very AMERICAN

Just my 2cents worth

Hammock
    homemade speer
    Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images
    You could have the scouts make their own hammocks for really cheap, too. I made mine out of 20 dollars worth of materials found at Wally World (and without sewing, too).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast