Finally got to use my hammock!!

So several months ago i made my own hammock and tested it out in the yard and everything went well. Recently I took a Search and Rescue class and had to spend a night in the woods the only requirement was you could not use any tents, and you had to pack everything in that you would use for the night no big deal. I brought my hammock and a small tarp with me to use for my shelter. I still had not gotten a hammock suspension yet so I had to improvise with Paracord. I hung the hammock and tarp and did a test lay to get all the stretch out of the paracord and then tightened everything up. I used a therma rest blanket as my top quilt and nothing underneath me which I now regret.

I realized at 430 in the morning when I woke up 3 things. One a underquilt or something underneath you is very important even at 59 degrees, and 2 when you tighten up your suspension make sure that your hammock is fairly level.
    I slept great until 430am and then I was cold on the bottom half of my body and realized that due to not being level I had some slid to the bottom of the hammock and had to keep pulling my self up to get a flat lay. Third thing I realized is just how Important a bug net is in the woods of NC, LOL. All in all though it was a great night and even with the minor tweeks I have to make I was still way more comfortable then every one else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Glad to hear you had a good time. And now you know what you want to do to make next time even better.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I always hang my foot end a bit higher to avoid the slow slide to the bottom. That or I hang my foot end closer to the tree and my head end further away causing the head end to sag a little lower when I lay in it.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Yeah I have since replaced my tarp with a silnylon tarp since the one I was using was a bit small and I have also ordered a hammock suspension to make it easier to adjust the lay of the hammock and wont have to deal with the stretch of paracord.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    UGQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ET
    Marius357, Glad you learned some things on the trip. I bet when they told you that you could not bring a tent an inside voice said in a slow tone: Oh man no tent......if you insist....

yeah I did not plan on taking a tent anyway but it was funny. All the other people were actually pretty mad because they had to sleep on the ground with just a tarp shelter and I was laying back in comfort. They all said they would have to look into a hammock and asked me where I bought mine at and then I floored them when I told them I made it.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Wish I could be using those same words as the thread title! In the midst of a little dry spell. Sounds like you had a good time even with a few bumps. Now you're even more prepared for round 2!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Sounds like a good first hang, and especially since it was a DIY hammock. I dont think I could make a hammock that was hangable now even after using one for some time. Congrats.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Good job on the SAR outing.. Been thar done it.. Hammock will be part of my gear as well.

• + New Posts