WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing

Going to the AT

I will be going to the great smoky mountains this weekend and I need advice on the best trails? I want to be able to drive to with a couple of miles of the site and hike the rest. I am not sure if I can do much more than that? lol
    I would like to be higher up in elevation so I can be above the fog in the morning! All advice is much appreciated. I am supposed to tell the Ranger which site I will be staying at to get the reservation tomorrow! That is if it is a Reservation site. I am guessing they are the better sites?
    Thanks
    Mike

Images
    the smokies have a lot of rules. i would look them up and review them. especially the rule on staying in shelter unless it's full. NO stealth camping either.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I am not going to the shelters. I am going to the campsites only. They have over one hundred sites other than shelters. Something like that. But yeah they already told me I had to stay in the designated site. Most require that anyhow. I am just trying to find a nice spot that dont have to many bears!

Images
    misunderstood when you said AT. sorry!
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Yeah i suppose it it just off the AT. Looking at the map again your right there is only one "campsite" on the whole AT trail. Anyhow it is in the Smokys and that is a big mountain. Have you been in there?

Images
    i hiked through it '09. didn't see a campsite only shelters. it was foggy and snowy so didn't get many views except for clingman's dome.

have fun

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    this time of year. Do you think it will be pretty warm at 5000 ft? I have found a site that should be pretty nice I think. Mt Sterling Number 38. Should I pack extra clothing or do you think it will be warm enough?

Images
    i aways pack with 40 degree gear in case it gets chilly, but maybe someone from down south could help better.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I got my reservation for sat. #38 Mt. Sterling and it is actually 5800 ft. Then on Sun. I will come out and drive around to the other side of the park to #21. This was a gut decision but they must be pretty popular because I got the last permit both days for those sites. I hope there are good views. If anybody knows please let me know. If they are bad I can change my site!!
    Karl I ask the guy when getting my res. and he said lows in the 50's. I don't know.... that don't sound right at 5800 ft. But maybe so?

Hammock
    DIY Multicam, Multicam BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoneix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Gregory Bald is my favorite Smoky Mtn destination then i hike to Camp site 13 requires a reservation but u can get up early and head up to the bald for a great sunrise view in the morning, that is the weather is clear!