12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Fly Fishing SE States

I would like to receive suggestions on trails or areas to hike and hang in GA, SC, NC or TN in late September or early October that typically has get fly fishing and scenery. I'd prefer limited hiking, but great trout fishing. Coming from a Florida Flatlander, I'd rather hike to a base camp and fish for 3-4 days and then hike out again. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Try the Wilson Creek or Harper Creek area of NC. The last time I hiked in that area we caught trout every day.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    DIY GT Treeslings
    South Mills River in Pisgah Forest just outside of Brevard, NC would meet your requirements.

You can come in two ways, one is to take Turkey Pen Rd. off of Hwy. 280 a few miles east of Pisgah Forest or from a forestry road off of Hwy. 176 just north of Sliding Rock and the Pink Beds area.

Coming in from the bottom is easiest. The first 1/2 mile down to river is a little steep but after that it is fairly flat. Head upstream when you hit the river. I'd plan on hiking in at least 3 miles if you want some privacy, the closer you are to the trailhead the more campers you'll see. I've seen groups of 30 or so. Plus the further in you go the better the fishing gets.

If you decide to go be sure to fish Cantrell Creek as well. It joins the South Mills about 4 miles in.

Another place I recommend is Hazel Creek which is in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. You'll have to canoe, kayak or take a boat over to the creek. There is a shuttle service at the marina near the dam that will drop you off and pick you up for a small fee. The trail up hazel creek has a gradual slope and is very well maintained. But we had to hike in about 4 miles to get into any significant numbers of fish. We stayed at the Sugar Fork campsite(campsite #84 on teh GSM Trail Map put out by the forest service. I recommend felt lined boots for Hazel Creek, the rocks are slick as glass in some places.

Both South Mills and Hazel Creek are great places to hang for a few days and do as much trout fishing as you want.

If you're interested in either one of these locations and need more details IM me and I'll see what I can come up with.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm glad you asked this O-boy. It sounds like a great way to spend some time with nature. I'll be watching this thread!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Mad 777,
    I've been thinking about this topic since we discussed it in March. Who knows, a bunch of FL Boys fishing in NC in the fall might be fun!!! I'd drive this time if we can get a trip planned!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd definitely be interested. I was hoping to get to the Elk River around Chattanooga earlier this year for some fly fishing but it fell through. Still trying.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll keep you in mind and will be getting down to planning sometime about mid-August. As you know, we have to keep our eyes on the tropics that time of the year, so I'm not getting to excited yet. Mainly looking for help from locals that know that area.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks to CJK and hooligan for your suggestions. I've watched video on Hazel Creek in the Smokies and liked what I saw. I was also thinking of Linville Gorge and South Toe near Burnsville. I've fished both those areas several times. I'll be posting on Foothills Trails site for a SC perspective.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    DIY GT Treeslings
    There is a lot of water to fish above Jocassee on and just off the foothills trail. A NC record trout came out of one of them. I've never fished there but have spent time hiking and riding motorcycles there in the 80's before it was Gorge's State park. It's rugged country but one of the most beautiful and remote areas in the state.

• + New Posts