Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Question Attaching a JRB Quilt To A Speer-Type Hammock?

I have a Nest and No Sniveller that I have used with my HH numerous times but I have yet to try and install one of these quilts on my Speer-type DIY hammock. I could probably figure it out with trail and error, but I thought I might seek the advice of the group. There may be others with the same questions.

1. Where is the best place to install the JRB suspension system?

2. Do the side loops go unused on a Speer-type hammock?

3. How far should the head and foot be sinched?

4. How do you adjust the sag of the under quilt? Just move the susension system?

5. Any other tips or tricks I should know of?

Images
    I am still working on adjusting my nest using my homemade hammock. I had some issues last time I hung it. I think that was from me hanging it too lose and having air gaps.

Here are a couple thoughts. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I install mine on the straps. This is when I had the straps directly connecting to the hammock knot. I had to slide it back a ways. Now I use some spectra to attach the hammock to the straps. I still think I am going to put it on the straps. I think the standard JRB suspension is a little long to start with for what I was originally doing.

2. Don't use them.

3. Can't say for sure. A feel thing.

4. Yep, move the suspen up or shorten it by looping it around the straps.

5. I would also like to know it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a ridgeline on my Speer-type hammocks, and I found that I can get a much better fit with the underquilts if I tie a cord from the underquilt's side loops to the ridgeline. It holds the quilt up and snugs it up to the hammock better.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I use a ridgeline on my Speer-type hammocks, and I found that I can get a much better fit with the underquilts if I tie a cord from the underquilt's side loops to the ridgeline. It holds the quilt up and snugs it up to the hammock better.

Do you use bungie cord or standard guy line?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used regular old lightweight cord that I had in my pack. Maybe some elastic stuff would have worked better, but it was a field improv.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Works on the Speer type same as all others.... Cinch the JRB SS on the suspension straps, place the overhand cinch at about the point of straps meeting hammock.... attach quilt and adjust SS, in or out, IAW standard directions....Cinch of the end cords should be to between 14-18 inches, if it is winter....You can simply loop the cinch cords over the hammock ends and tie together, if desired or leave loose... additional ridgeline rigging to support a UQ is not necessary... The side asym ladder loops go unused...although some join them by a string, again this should not be necessary if the Suspension System is properly employed.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it also depends on the amount of sag for a particular hammock. I generally have a lot of sag in my hammocks, which makes fitting an underquilt a bit trickier.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I haven't used one of the JRB quilts underneath yet, but I have used a KAQ under my homemade Speer-type. I had the same type fitting issues as are being discussed here, and I think Jeff's solution is probably the route I would go. Then again, the KAQ is VERY specifically designed to fit an asym hammock - the HH specifically - and that might be part of my problem.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images

kaq

mine fits great but im starting to think the super shelter is the way to go instead of a under quilt just more versital plus it is made for the hh with the hole and all
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    mine fits great but im starting to think the super shelter is the way to go instead of a under quilt just more versital plus it is made for the hh with the hole and all
    I'm not sold on the supershelter. You get a pad underneath, but I carry one of those anyway so I can add it to my sleep system whenever I want - or not. You get windblock and moisture protection (only on the bottom, unless you buy the overcover too), but my hammock sock takes care of that. That's on my homemade hammock, though - a sock/pod for the HH would require some design work as has been discussed on another thread.

Overall, I think the quilt system with an additional windblock like a pod or a sock is a much more versatile setup. I really don't see much flexibility to the supershelter at all.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast