Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images

A few more newbie questions

Getting ready to go on my first hammock trip next weekend in my SBPro... I'm still testing and adjusting but had a few more questions:

1) If you raise the foot up to prevent slipping - how much or is this another area for experimentation??

2) Any tips for dealing with rain? What do you do with your gear? Muddy shoes, etc?

I'll be on a motorcycle - so in addition to normal stuff - I'll have helmet, jacket, etc to deal with. I'm thinking of bringing a small ground cloth. Then if it's raining I can setup my tarp - then pop the ground cloth down - then drop my gear on that to keep it dry while I setup the hammock.

Just looking for some real-world advice instead of re-inventing the wheel!

Jim

Hammock
    homemade speer
    Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images
    1. Raising the foot of the hammock is definitely an area of experimentation. I like for the foot of the hammock to be at least 6 in. above the head - usually more. But it is definitely a personal preference thing.
    2. Pitch a tarp over the hammock to keep off the rain. If it is already raining, pitch the tarp first, and then hang your hammock, keeping it dry.
    Shoes - I tie the laces together and hang my shoes over the hammock support at the foot of my hammock.
    Pack - I like to use a carabiner to hook my pack onto the support rope at the head of the hammock. (I have a homemade Speer type hammock, so this works out well for me.)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    found a small netted gear hammock at sportsmans warehouse to hang gear in for only a few bucks. you could hang that under or off to one side of your hammock to keep your gear in. I only put the foot end of my hammock 3-6 inches above the other end but I kinda like to sleep on my side in the fetal postion. Just play around and see what works for you. Have fun while doing it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I bought some of the large (really big) zip lock bags and used them to put my boots in at night; helped A LOT!

I imagine the helmet, jacket, etc. would fit just fine. Cheap, light, and compact; three of my new favorite words these days.

As far as the foot end being higher, for me it varies from hammock to hammock. Just play with it and you'll get it quickly.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I do about the same as Gumbi. Hammock...tarp....you're good to go for most weather. However, if you get a tarp, make sure it's long enough. The SBPro is about 10.5' long therefore any tarp shorter than that can leave you and your hammock wet if it rains.

I use an SBPro as well and there's a couple of alterations I'd suggest. The rope that came with the hammock to hang it, I'd untie it and put alpine butterflies through out the length so you can quickly put up your hammock. Since the rope comes doubled, it can't fit around very thick trees. Unfold it and put the loops back in and you should be able to handle most thick trees. Either that or buy new rope or a suspension system. Take your pick.

As for the cord that comes with the hammock to hold the bug net, pre-tie it to the loops in the bug netting. This way you don't have to string it up when you get out there.

Hopes that helps.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts