WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz

Is cuban really "worth it"...

I have been looking at several different tarps and I can't pull the trigger on the cuben fiber tarps. For the cost, the sil tarps look just as good. I realize there is some weight savings. I also have heard that the cuban can tear easier. Also some report a "green house" effect from the cuban. I frankly can't see how this can be much better/worse than the sil. Fortunately, I can afford to buy cuban but am not in the habit of being wasteful. So, for those who have both or at least have tried Cuban, is it all that?
    Thanks
    Jeff.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Better is a matter of opinion. Better IMHO is any thing that can get you out into the piney woods. Now if cost is of no factor then I would certainly say go with a cuben tarp.

I own a 23-24 ounce, 20by26 sil tarp with an 11ft RL. Used it for a bit over a year before got a OES standard spin only to sell it a week later to buy a Z-Packs 8.5 by 11 with a 11 ft RL no cat cuts using that for a year and then recently purchasing a Hammock Gear winter cuben 8.5 by 11 with a 10.75 RL with 2inch cat cuts on the sides walls and now saving up for a Hammock Gear Cuben Hex tarp. Unless something else comes out that is lighter I cant see myself going back to sil. I have never had a problem with cuben or sil however I love the fact that cuben does not mist on the inside. I really like the bonded seams so no need for seam sealing, I have found it to be no warmer or cooler then a sil tarp however I love the translucency of the material so I can stare up at the moon and stars and the fact that cuben does not stretch any where as much as sil it keeps a much tighter pitch. So IMHO is Cuben worth it, well yes most certainly. the weight alone is worth it at least for me it is. But I'd rather have sil then stay home on the couch but if I could choose between the two I would choose cuben way over sil for these reasons I stated as well as numerous others.

I do not see cuben as being wasteful. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by lazy river road; 05-15-2012 at 13:00.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    LRR makes a lot of good points. I haven't had any issues with durability. The big benefit really is the weight savings. If it's not that big a concern, than Sil would be fine. Though the misting with some Sil can be annoying. As far as the "green house", Your usually not in direct sun, and how often are you spending significant time during the day in the sun under the tarp? Any tarp or tent is going to get warm.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    weight is a huge +++ for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I too, haven't had any durability issues with it...yet.
    Cuben is worth it if you have to carry it long distances. It's worth it in spades when you have to carry it long distances for an extended period. I still own more sil tarps than any other material and use them, or lend them, often. Nothing really wrong with sil if you're a weekend hiker or camper. Cuben is a specialty material at this point, not a 'must-have' IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Chameleon by Dutch
    Tarp
    Sgt. Rock diy w/en
    Insulation
    JRB No-Sniveller+o
    Suspension
    yep
    Images
    Lazy River Road,

did you noticed any difference the cat cuts made in the quality of life between the two cuben tarps you used?

i'm getting ready to assemble a Sgt. Rock tarp and can't decide to try catenary edges or not. i'll probably go without because i figger they can be added later if they are 'worth' it.

i'd like to hear your thoughts since you've used them both ways.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A couple of years ago people were concerned about the fragility of cuben fiber. However, those concerns aren't much of an issue any more, from what I can tell. I read about one couple who used cuben fiber tarps on their AT thru hike, and they came through with flying colors.

If cuben fiber was flimsy, I would have destroyed my tarp by now - I'm hard on my gear. For me, it was a no-brainer to go from a 20-24 oz tarp to a 6.5 oz 4-season cuben fiber tarp. My back doesn't think I was wasteful at all. Losing a pound of pack weight was well worth the cost of cuben fiber for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    It amazes me how often these threads come up.

Yes, it's pretty awesome stuff. I wouldn't run out and go Cuben crazy as it were, but I'm extremely happy with my Cuben tarp from Hammock Gear.

I quick search of just this forum, much less the whole site, and you will find this subject has been gone over thuroughly.

Pros: Easily repaired
    Zero stretch
    Zero permeability

Cons: Cost
    Subject to fraying from abrassion
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    Lazy River Road,

did you noticed any difference the cat cuts made in the quality of life between the two cuben tarps you used?

i'm getting ready to assemble a Sgt. Rock tarp and can't decide to try catenary edges or not. i'll probably go without because i figger they can be added later if they are 'worth' it.

i'd like to hear your thoughts since you've used them both ways.
    Hey Ishmael, I've only had the HG Tarp out for two nights and in my possission for a few month but comparing the cat cut to the no cat cuts I do not fore see any difference in the quality of life that either tarp will have. They appear both to be of excellent quality and craftsmanship and with proper care will last me as equally long baring any user error (like a bridge pole through the side wall or something like that)

However for a fuller review of the tarp look through this thread I started a little bit ago.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52144

I am torn between weather or not a cuben tarp needs any cat cuts or not. I am looking forward to having the HG tarp in some high winds and nasty weather so I can truly compare the Z-Packs no cat cut to the HG 2inch cat cut walls. But again before I start rambling to much read through the review I posted and you can always PM me or ask in this thread if you have any specific questions.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreamer View Post
    I have been looking at several different tarps and I can't pull the trigger on the cuben fiber tarps. For the cost, the sil tarps look just as good. I realize there is some weight savings. I also have heard that the cuban can tear easier. Also some report a "green house" effect from the cuban. I frankly can't see how this can be much better/worse than the sil. Fortunately, I can afford to buy cuban but am not in the habit of being wasteful. So, for those who have both or at least have tried Cuban, is it all that?
    Thanks
    Jeff.
    yes, especially if you can afford it.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast