Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    MEC is great! It's essentially our version of REI (and I order from there too). The tarp seems a little heavy at 463g no?

I've been looking for a summer type tarp and think I'm going with this one at 294g (10.5oz).

As for ordering from MEC in Canada and having it shipped to the states, unless there is a very specific item you need only available here, I'm not sure there is even a need. You guys have all the vendors down there, where pretty much nearly everything can be had for similar or even better price. Just my 2c.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Good choice. See my video review (once it uploads) of my tadpole.

Couldn't be happier with it.

MEC are good folks I'm sure, but S&H would honestly make me look stateside. Customs (for what it is) can also be a delay for some.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    After doing some research, and asking Shug for advice, I think once I do decide it's time to get a tarp (hopefully next paycheck) it looks like I'm gonna end up with the Warbonnet Mamajamba or the Superfly. I really wanted to go Sil (cuben fiber is waaaay outta my price range) and for the Warbonnets I wouldn't mind paying $110(Mamajamba)...or $130(Superfly). Now I have to decide if I want the doors built in so I have to carry the extra weight permanently, or if I want to spend more in the long-run by getting the Mamajamba then eventually ordering the removable doors. So many decisions!
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    This might be a bit too late for the OP, but I can chime in for the MEC sil tarps from my experience.

I tried a Scout sil tarp and the bigger, guide sil tarp.

The scout needs to be pitched opposite since it's 2.1m X 2.9m, so you'll get seams going down your top, but no biggie. It's really light, and has adequate clearance on the sides. I would be wary using this in rough wind/weather only because of it's small size (granted i'm a bigger guy using an ENO DN)

That being said, I switched to the Sil Guide Tarp at 2.9m X 3.9m (this year they have a sour apple color, which is really neat) This thing is massive (779g) , perfect length to pitch normally, and I would bet you can fully close this thing around you (i'll have to test this out) It's great pitching patio-style, lots of room for others to hang out underneath. I love this tarp for it's sheer size and versitility, however I do use a smaller tarp more regularly when solo camping 3 seasons.

Anyways, the scout tarp is pretty nice for UL or minimalist inside some of us, but too small for 'my' liking. For that price you can pick yourself up a better one as suggested above.

Hope this helps someone And for the Americans: http://www.metric-conversions.org/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB-Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubater & Burrow
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I have a few mec sil tarps and have been using them for years. Before hammocking, I used a bivy with one of these tarps (my dog hated tents). The mec sil tarps are just as nice (good quality) & reliable as the superfly. The only complaint I had about the mec tarps is the lack of side pull outs when pitched. My tarps are older and do not have grommets; they have grosgrain pull-outs and they have survived well through a few storms. Thru my own fault I completely over tightened a guy-line on my original tarp and the nylon started to rip, but the grosgrain loop held strong. That was 4 or 5 years ago and the tarp is still going strong. This spring I put it up as a wind barrier, in the kind of wind that can push a guy over, and even with the old little tear, the tarp held fine. This year I moved up to a superfly for my sleeping shelter simply because of the increased coverage & doors. I still take that original mec tarp with me on trips to hang over our cooking area in rain, or to erect as a wind barrier. For the weight, and the potential of uses, it always finds a spot in my pack. I am nothing less than 100% confident with this tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

MEC is great!

I'm an avid fan of MEC. If you live local to the stores they are excellent to examine gear, staff are very helpful and aware of their products. Amazing return policy and warranty. Excellent shipping costs for Canadians.

If you live in the US you've got to tack on shipping and customs fees which might not make it worth the purchase from MEC?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12