Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web

Winter UQ compression sack size?

Hello,

I've just bought a 500gram fill quilt from UKhammocks and want to know what compression size it will fit into. It fits into a 10l stuff sack easily and I think I could get it in a 7-8 just as easy. However, if i could get it into a 5l would that be too much? Is it possible to compress it too much while it's in my pack? Should I let it have a little room to "breath"? Obviously when I have it at home it lays flat out of any sack so the loft can go back to normal.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Some believe that the smallest amount of compression even while in the pack is the way to go and for a couple of reasons---let wear and tear on the spring, the spring being the down itself; though seemingly infinite in its ability to flex it too has a lifespan. The other reason is that when it's cold and you get to camp the more you have it compressed the longer it takes to obtain full loft.
    This is why many use the method where a large waterproof pack liner is used and the downy objects only compressed as much as is needed to get them in the pack with everything else.

Hammock
    HH Expl Deluxe
    Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Some believe that the smallest amount of compression even while in the pack is the way to go and for a couple of reasons---let wear and tear on the spring, the spring being the down itself; though seemingly infinite in its ability to flex it too has a lifespan. The other reason is that when it's cold and you get to camp the more you have it compressed the longer it takes to obtain full loft.
    This is why many use the method where a large waterproof pack liner is used and the downy objects only compressed as much as is needed to get them in the pack with everything else.
    That seems a good point. My only thought is that if its just placed in the top of the pack then if i want to get stuff from underneath such as few clothes Ill have to take it out. Of course I could put it nearer the bottom but that will compress it with the weight of the above objects and surely defeat the purpose of letting it spread out.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I never use stuff sacks for my down quilts when I'm backpacking. Down quilts need the least amount of compression that you can manage. Every morning when I go to put all my gear back into my pack, I give some thought to what I'll use during the day and what I wont need till I set up camp that evening. If I think I'll need something, it's not put into my main backpack. Other items go into the pack and my quilts are free stuffed in. My pack has huge front pockets that I can get all my gear in that I'll use during the day. Even my tarp!! I don't like to open my main "back" pack until I'm ready to set up camp that evening. My quilts are able to fluff out inside the pack into all the little spaces that usually nothing is ever put. Sure, some parts of the quilt will be compressed more than other spots, but it will be taken out that evening. And the next morning it gets free stuffed back into the pack and probably some other section of the quilt is compressed. I've found this to be the least amount of compression that I can manage and still get everything into my pack. I, personally would not use a compression sack for a down quilt. I have to make my gear last as long as possible and a compression sack will cause the down to break apart faster. I don't know how faster though!!!

Hammock
    HH Expl Deluxe
    Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web
    Thanks for that. I've just put my HH and OMW tarp into a 10l comp sack together. Now I get put them through the loops on my Osprey exos where the mat used to go. So now they are on the outside of the pack I have more space in my main sack so I am going do what you said and store it more loosely I only wanted to compress it to fit everything in.

• + New Posts