WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners

Which Hammock for Kayaking?

I've been eyeing up a hammock for kayak camping and perhaps the occassional rendezvous. While size and weight are a concern, I don't think I needed anything flyweight. My sights seem to be settling in on a Warbonnet Blackbird, largely because I can't sleep with my feet bundled up and I like the idea of the footbox. I also like that the ridgeline looks to ride higher than the Hennessy, so you can actually use the hammock as a chair without it sawing at the back of your head. The strap setup seems idiotproof, too, though perhaps a touch bulkier than these whooping sling setups I'm reading about. I'm 5'7" / 195 and looking at the single layer, 1.7 model. How does that sound as a choice? Any kayak campers care to weigh in? Are there other makes / models I should be considering? (ie; I want to be sure this one isn't too big and heavy.)

Also, buying a hammock and a tarp starts to get pricey. I have a hexagonal nylon rainfly from an old dome tent that I'm thinking I might get by with. It measures 10' across the diagonals. Is there any reason that wouldn't work to keep dry in rain showers?

If I were to pull the trigger on a tarp, has anyone found the Superfly (or similar) to be too big/heavy to pack? Maybe something smaller would be less bulky and clumsy for kayaking. ?? What's the best way to rig a tarp, by the way? I've been reading and all the info is going gray. Does Warbonnet provide anything for their tarps?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I have used my Hennessey Explorer deluxe and my Warbonnet blackbird both for kayaking. Like all hammocks, its user preference for comfort. The wider seems to equal comfort. I am more comfortable in my deluxe than a HH expedition. Check out the wilderness logics hammocks, they a getting a buzz as well as Papa Smurfs Dangerbirds.
    I use a AHE Toxaway tarp. Very good coverage and light. I also use the HH hex tarp which is heavier than the Tox since its PU coated and not sil. Buts its a good tarp for the bucks. Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I guess it depends on your kayak. What do you have room for? And, are you at or close to it's rated capacity without your gear?

Also, what conditions do you anticipate? There are times and places when rated capacity is wildly optimistic.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Kayak camping is what Gumbo and I do mostly.

We have SOT kayaks precisely because they are super stable and can carry a ton of gear with almost no effort. So for us, it's anything goes. We prefer the Chrysalis because for us it's the most comfortable - by far. (YMMV) But we like our ENO DNs too.
    So chose most any setup you like. You should be fine.

Reusing your current tarp makes perfect sense to me. Experiment with different lean-to or porch or summer/winter arrangements with it. Again, I think you'll be fine.

And if not... then you'll do something different next time. But you'll be smarter for the experience.
    Good luck!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I think any of the hammocks and tarps etc you find here will be within weight and bulk limits for a kayak. At ten ft on the diagonal your tarp would work on a blackbird,,,its what i have.You have to think about insulation under you. If your going to use a pad then a double layer hammock is handy,,,,the pad slips in between and doesn't move while you sleep. If your going under quilt route then you'll want good dry bags for them. Hanging and kayaking go well together .

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    On my trip on the South Branch of the Potomac last weekend I took both my ENO DN and my Hennessey because I wanted the option of bug netting but prefer to slep "topless" when conditions permit. I kayak with a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 125 so good room for 3 day trips.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I have one of the smallest sea kayaks made (Impex - Mystic). It's very narrow and only 14' long. When I'm fully loaded with a tent (& all that goes with that) +all my food and water, this kayak is very low in water. I have to use a skirt if I'm in the intercoastal waterway because of other boat's wakes swamping me. After switching to hammocks, my boat is lighter and rides much better in the water. (still gotta use a skirt in the intercoastal though). I've used Clarks, hennessy and Blackbirds in my kayak. All pack just fine. I do have to put extra long strings on some of my gear that I stuff into the bow or I'd never be able to reach it. Small items that are in small bags can go into all those hard to reach areas as long as you've got a way to pull them back out.
    My boat will only hold my needed gear. It's just not big enough to hold anything that I just "think" I might want to have. Your question maybe should be not which hammock to use, because I think any hammock is great in a kayak. But which kayak to use!!!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Your question maybe should be not which hammock to use, because I think any hammock is great in a kayak. But which kayak to use!!!
    Exactly.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Exploder
    Tarp
    Stock / hex
    Insulation
    UQ/pad
    Suspension
    DIY woopies&straps
    I can attest to hammocks making room in your yak.

I use my HH in a 17'touring for week+ trips, my tenting friends with similar boats both required deck bags for some of their gear. I was able to pack all my gear, hammock clothing, all food, and fishing gear in my boat which saves you catching a lot of cross wind.

Also saves having to unstrap and resecure if you need something from the hatch the bag is covering.

Hammock would be your choice for comfort.

But rigging

Do you know the area you are heading to?

I found my northern Ontario trips required long stretches to reach suitable trees.

On small sites I gave first pick to my tenting friends, I took the rocky root filled spots. I found the trees rooted right on the rocks were not always solid and I had to use a ratchet strap I had to reach suitable trees to hold my 280lb frame.

Have fun.
    DAVE.

The further you go,
    the longer it takes to get back.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I added a large wooden bead to a long string to reach the drybags. Bead gives me something to grab.

Take a look at the Switchback hammocks. Not limited to having to sleep the same way (feet left, for example) all the time and can tie up the net to go topless. Zippered on both sides and can have with spreader bars to lift the netting up, up, and away from your face.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast