Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension

New JH arrived yesterday.

Very cool. Very well made from what I see. Nothing flimsy, heavy duty.
    Got it set up today but have questions.

1. How tight is too tight to set it up? Should it have some sag in it without being it it? If so, how much?

2. What is the best way to enter/exit your hammock. My concerns are that I may put undue stress on the zipper area and tear it.

Can't wait to give this thing a go in the BWCA next month.

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    Very cool. Very well made from what I see. Nothing flimsy, heavy duty.
    Got it set up today but have questions.

1. How tight is too tight to set it up? Should it have some sag in it without being it it? If so, how much?

2. What is the best way to enter/exit your hammock. My concerns are that I may put undue stress on the zipper area and tear it.

Can't wait to give this thing a go in the BWCA next month.
    Congrats on the new JH. Its a great hammock.

As far as setting up, its hard to describe, and others probably have different approaches, plus, it makes a difference how far apart the two trees are. I use straps and whoopie slings. I like to pick trees so I have maybe 4 to 6 feet clearance between each end of my hammock and its tree. Then, I put my tree straps up a little over head height, add the toggles and hammock, and then adjust the whoopie slings to adjust the hammock so that when I sit in it, my feet are on the ground and my legs are at a comfortable seated angle. I want it to feel like I could sit there for a long time and be perfectly comfortable, just as if it was going to be used as a camp chair. I test this with the hammock flipped over so that the bug net is on the bottom.

When strung this way, then entering the hammock is as easy as unzipping the net, clearing it a bit up and out of the way, and sitting down in the hammock. It doesn't seem to put any stress on the zipper. Once comfortably seated, then its simply a matter of swinging the legs up into the hammock.

Best thing to do is just practice setting it up a few times, evaluate your comfort factor, adjust as needed, and before long you'll know exactly what you want to do.
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    A little over head height? Wow, ok. I tried like I said to set it up for the first time yesterday. But I only set the tree straps about 3-3/12 feet off the ground and pulled the hammock somewhat taught. I guess I figured the tighter it was, the more you would be able to lay flat lol. Will try the higher hang and give it a little more sag. Looking at some pics after my initial post I can see I went about it wrong the first time.

I take it a tighter hang is gonna give you the "shoulder squeeze"? At least that's what I found. It was however, EXTREMELY comfortable and look forward to ditching the tent to the kids this years trip. (their backs can handle it better than the old mans).

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    From what I have read, the recommended angle of the lines from horizontal is about 30 degrees. So where you put the straps needs to be elevated the hammock to some level. The distance the trees are apart probably affects it a good deal.

I haven't really had any shoulder squeeze that I recall. I recommend using a pillow, I use a thermarest pillow and find it perfect in a hammock.
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Yuppers, I remember seeing the 30 degree thing. I believe it was a diagram. Looked for it on here but can't find it. 30 Degrees, that's WITH you laying in the hammock right? Not just the hammocks natural weight.
    I know what all them seasoned hangers are thinkin. "man, what a noob" LOL

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    How you hang this depends on the suspension you use. There will certainly be some construction looseness in the cord include, which will come out under load and not return. So, you hang it tight, relatively flat initially. Because it is going to sag and because that sagging is getting out the looseness.

Covert to polyester straps or Dyneema and there is much less of that constructional looseness.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Ordered me some Amsteel the other day, along with some biners and descending rings.
    My plan is.........to use the Amsteel to make a double loop and replace the flat straps that came with the hammock. Not the same lengths at the flat straps mind you, but a 48" piece, double so that becomes 24. That fed threw the channel and each end secured to the descending rings with larks heads and a double fishermans knot.

To that, I plan on attaching a length of flat webbing, either the stock webbing or aftermarket and at the other end, a biner.

Wrap around the tree, clip biner to the webbing. Grab slack webbing from the descending rings and adjust.

Now if anyone sees any flaws in this "glorious master" plan, don't hesitate to let me know. I'm a new hanger and can take criticism well LOL.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    I have done something similar - I removed the stock webbing strap, trimmed a couple of lengths off this, and used it to make a webbing loop through the channel at each end (just gives me more versatility if I need to muck around with the suspension instead of removing it from the channel each time). The carabiner attached to my whoopies then clips straight onto this loop. I've just received 15 metres of Amsteel, so when I have time I will replace the whoopies with this.

I don't how Amsteel will go with the decender rings, as I've only ever used rings with a larger diameter rope. But as with everything hanging related, it is trial and error, and what works best for you. If the Amsteel was too narrow a diameter, it would be a simple fix to just use webbing tree huggers around the trunk, and then use that as a base to adjust and tie off at the right angle.

Could you post a few pics once it's done - I'd be interested to see how it looks.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Absolutely will post some pics. Right now my testing facility is between 2 6" diameter poles in my pole barn. The Amsteel I bought is the 3/16" dia. stuff. Was wondering whether or not the smaller line would put undue stress on the sewn channel so I went with the 3/16 vs the 1/8 like so many do. Also thought about taking some of the original webbing and using it as a "sleeve" so to speak. Slid the Amsteel thru it to give it more of a buffer, if that makes any sense.

Pics should be coming after the weekend. Amsteel and rings already shipped to any day now.

Am very excited to get this rig set up and actually sleep in it on next months trek into the BWCA.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You are right about load, and 3/16" may have been overkill. But, rest assured that the Amsteel is so slippery, it causes no chafing whatever.

I don't share concern over pinching Amsteel between rings, either, but some others do. Why don't I? because it is so hard to cut and the fibers are so slippery, I don't believe they are damaged by the squeezing action of rings as the strands are spread.

Damaged by burrs or welds? Eventually cut by scissors / snipping action of sharp edges? That's another matter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast