Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Welcome Biker Dad. Just got back in from an overnight up in Indian Caves state park, NE. Road the Motorcycle up there and met up with my buddy, a cave dweller himself. Here's a picture of our camp.

And a little closer of my Warbonnet Black Bird Dbl 1.9 Hammock and Superfly tarp.

No doubt, people are going to start throwing numbers and names at ya, tellin you WHAT to do but maybe not what they mean. Your straps, don't know how they get away with selling things that are sworn to be the most stretch suspension next to Pirelli rubber. But there are primers out there that will tell you what is what and where to find them. My favorite is done by Hammock Forum Member, Mentor, Ambassador Sean "Shug" Emery, and THIS is the link to the first video in his hammock how to series.

Shug is an enthusiast and a professional entertainer, so it's generally a fun video to watch. The only ones of his 155 videos that don't really go down easy for me are the ones where he's showing us food that we'll not be eating. BBQ Georgia style, in Minnesota.

Then there is the grand-daddy of information Ed Speer and his Hammock Camping book which you can buy straight from him. along with other supplies.

Now, while Ed's book is informative, there have been innovations since it's publication, so let me show you the new guy, The Ultimate Hang written by our own Hammock Forum member Derek Hansen. And you can get that in paperback, nook reader or itunes book. It has whoopy slings, under-over quilts, those special boxes that you scan with your iphone and watch crazy pages leap right off the screen of it, just a wonderful and I believe, updating source in the case of the electronic versions.

A quick read through or watch of these primers will get you firmly planted in how to use a hammock. This forum then can fill you in even more specifically on every aspect of it AND keep you on the cutting edge. When Ed was first hammocking, pads were a way to keep warm, then he went to pea pods. Now quilts are all the rage and they will keep you warm to incredible low temps IF you use them right. Shug has his -26°F hang video on his youtube channel. He just ain't right.

So give these a look see and hopefully we can answer questions you haven't even thought of yet.

Oh, and my bike rig. Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT hauling a Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer.

Yes, I took some electric-foam RC airplanes with me too.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

I lived in Provo for a couple of years. I envy you--Utah in late spring/early summer is awesome!

+2 on the pre-trip trial hang. Home is a great place to realize that something is out of whack.

Again, welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing all about your future adventures.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    That's for the warm welcome folks. I've already ordered The Ultimate Hang, but it'll be a week or so before it gets here, and I've been watching some of Shug's and Professor Hammock's vids. I'm aware of the sub-stellar performance of the ENO straps, but a) they were on sale ($17 for the Pros), b) there's no other strap options available hereabouts that I saw, and c) if they suck too much for me, I'll just return them to REI. Maybe if they get enough returns, ENO will figure out it's time to change material. I'll certainly experiment a bit with other suspension systems and the like if hanging in practice appeals to me as much as it does in theory.

Anybody in northern Utah who wants to edjumicate a noob and show off some equipment, is welcome, nay, encouraged to post here or PM me. I've got a standard 9-6 M-F job. I will be rolling into/through St. George next Thursday night, and back again on Monday, with hanging being highly likely.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? I've read of folks using their come along straps for webbing. You'll have to do a little sewing. If you're going to be sewing there are sources for all the materials or just ready to use units in that book OR Here's a link to JacksRBetter for their set.

There are other suppliers on this here board as well.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Biker,

I'm in Orem until Wednesday. Are you close? I brought a duffle bag full of hammocks if you want to try a few, plus under quilts, tarps, and more. Send me a PM and I'll get you my cell number.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    P.S. I have a few copies of my book with me if you want a signed copy.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I forgot to give Derek's forum name in my previous thread. If you hadn't figured it out, it's Dejoha.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12