Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

TEXAS: Hike' N Hang To Celebrate LSHT Section Opening

A fairly ad-hoc Hike and Hang is being discussed for the weekend of June 1-2-3.

Date is open for discussion as we've not had anybody (except me) make a definite committment.

Impetus for the discussion is the approaching Texas Summer and the hopes of one last weekend in the woods before we become steamed burritos in the woods, as well as this mail that I got from the LSHT Yahoo Group a oule of days ago:

Message flagged Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:29 AM
    News
    Release

U.S. Forest Service
    2221 North Raguet St.
    Lufkin, Texas 75904
    www.fs.usda. gov/texas
    May 23, 2012
    For Immediate Release

Sam Houston, Davy Crockett National Forests
    open trail sections

Two sections of the Lone Star Hiking Trail in the Sam Houston National Forest and a section of the 4-C Hiking Trail in the Davy Crockett National Forest will open Thursday, May 24, according to Acting Forest Supervisor Stephanie Neal Johnson.

Trails, trailheads and other areas where the public gathers in the two forests were closed in March when it became apparent that the large number of dead trees killed in the drought created a safety hazard.

The hiking trail sections were opened first because they had the fewest dead trees leaning over the trail, according to Johnson.

As the trails open and people begin to use them, Johnson urges visitors to keep safety in mind.

"We are cutting hundreds of hazardous trees around trails, trailheads and recreation areas, but there are literally thousands of dead trees that remain in the general forest area," she said. "Safety is always a primary concern, so be aware of your surroundings and do not park your vehicle or pitch a tent where it could be hit by a falling tree."

Johnson added that recent rains have softened the ground and winds can greatly increase the threat of falling trees and limbs.

"A falling limb can be just as deadly as a falling tree," she said. If you are in the forest when winds kick up, head to a clearing out of the reach of falling trees."

Trail sections open in the Davy Crockett National Forest include:

-- 17 miles of the 4-C Trail from FM 227, northeast of Ratcliff Lake, to Forest Service Road 511 south of State Highway 21. The trail crosses Forest Service Road 511 twice but it will be open to the farthest north crossing.

Trail sections open in the Sam Houston National Forest include:

-- 13 miles of the Lone Star Hiking trail from Forest Service Road 219 Trailhead parking lot (the Lone Star Hiking Trail Club Trailhead No. 1) to FM 149 South Trailhead parking lot (Lone Star Hiking Trail Club Trailhead No. 4).

-- Three miles of the Lone Star Hiking Trail from the parking lot on the I-45 feeder road north of Huntsville State Park (Lone Star Hiking Trail Club Trailhead No. 7) to the Camella Lake spillway.

-- One mile adjacent to the Ranger's office in New Waverly.

"We heard loud and clear at our public meetings just how important the trails are to our user groups," Johnson said. "These first few miles represent sections that were evaluated as low risk areas that could be opened quickly with our employees. Trails with moderate and high damage will be opened as soon as possible as contractor crews take out the hazard trees."

For more information, contact Sam Houston National Forest Ranger Warren Oja at 936-344-6205, or Davy Crockett National Forest Ranger Gerald Lawrence at 936-655-2299.
    Map of the open Section:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/...ess_shaded.pdf

My proposal is to have some folks drive to the trailhead and camp out Friday after work, while others arrive Saturday morning. Take off around 10:00 AM and hike to a pond that shows up on the map near where the Sand Branch Trail Interescts Little Lake Loop. That's about five miles, which should allow for some creative lolly gagging by the pond and a getting back to the trailhead at a decent time Sunday morning.

Anyone interested?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    so your talking about meeting at TH1 on this map??? trying to figure out mileage and what not since it will be 250 miles or so from me to richards and trying see if this would work... excited, this would be awesome...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 05-26-2012 at 13:18.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    TH1 seems to me to be the best place, unless someone more familiar with the trail has a better suggestion.
    Last edited by sargevining; 05-26-2012 at 13:27.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    pic here:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/27021107

Shows up on Google Earth. Taken 2009 and we've had two years of drought since then, but a lot of rain so far this spring.

Pic here shows a campsite nearby:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/27021075

I've not been to the trail as of right now.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I'm out officially... Have two previous engagements that day... Wish I could... Maybe some other time...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm definitely interested. Got to check schedules first before it'd be definite.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Gonna have to back out. Will need to work Saturday. I'll do a local overnighter instead.

• + New Posts