Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TQ and UQ in one comp. sack

I just received my TQ and UQ (AHE New River and Owyhee).....

should I use 1 larger comp sack and fit both? or 2 smaller comp. sacks for each?

I have a Med. sea to summit E vent, and considering exchanging for a Large or XL if it'll save me pack space.... I'm running low on pack space and I still haven't received my hammock or tarp.

does anyone use a compression sack for their hammock or tarp?

I really need tips on being more efficient with the space in my pack as far as UQ/TQ/Hammock/Tarp.
    And I'm eventually going to "down", but, for now I'm sticking with the AHE stuff. (If I can manage to keep my UQ/TQ dry during this trip, I will be confident that I can keep down dry on my next trip which will be a drier location)

thanks

Hammock
    HH Expl Deluxe
    Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web
    I have my OMW tarp in a 5l compression sack. I will be putting my UKHammocks winter full length quilt into a 10l stuff sack I have. I'd thought about putting my HH in a comp sack but I have enough space to keep it in my stuff sack and have no need to spend the extra money. However, I don't think it would be a bad idea to put it in a comp sack.

I currently use a synthetic sleeping bag and UQ and I wouldn't benefit from combining in one sack, however, if they were both down/ TQUQ I'd say it'd be ok. save money on 2 sacks then.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's a personal preference thing.

First of all, I would not use a "compression" sack on my quilts, especially synthetic ones. That will shorten the lifespan of the quilt. I use "dry bags" and using one of these will save a bit of weight. The disadvantage is that you end up with one very large bag that will dictate how you pack your backpack. Whereas multiple smaller bags can be usually be tucked away easier. However, if you find a bag that matches the dimensions of the bottom of your backpack, you can still pack efficiently.

An alternate method that some use is a large trash compactor bag lining the whole inside of the backpack. Quilts and everything else you want to stay dry goes inside then the neck is twisted & folded over. All other items get packed on top of the trash compactor bag.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

thanks... keep the advice coming

my personal preference is to keep my pack not looking as big as me. but, also to keep my sleeping insulation performing well. (it's the one thing I look forward to besides food... a nice lofty, soft, warm sleeping arrangement)

I'm glad you brought up not using a compression sack on synthetic fill quilts....
    I believe it, but, how much "loss of life" do you think we are talking about here?(anybody)
    (it'll last 1 year instead of 3, 4, 5 years?)

won't the tennis ball in the dryer trick "re loft" the fill? or does the fill reach a point of no return?

I always knew compression sacks were not "good" for any type of fill... but always wondered how fast a tight compression sack will degrade the performance of the fill. (again, will it last 1 year instead of x?)

I'm considering using the supplied stuff sacks since they will fit horizontally at the bottom of my pack.... even tho they aren't as compressed as a compression sack will get them, they still seem a bit tight to where they may still be "losing life", but, I'm sure not as bad a compression sack.

trash compactor bag sounds good to... and probably the easiest to pack in the morning.

technically, I only need my quilts to last 6 months for a attempt at a AT thru... but, obviously would rather keep the quilts performing well for years to come.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I better try this, it makes little sense to have two dry sacks for two items that are used at the same time.
    I have MSR 10 liter dry sacks for 20 deg quilts, and MSR 15 liter dry sacks for my zero deg stuff.
    If I could get both summer or 20 deg quilts in a 15 liter sack, lay it sideways at the bottom of my pack, I think it would even fit better than two smaller sacks.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Compression really THAT bad??

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

First of all, I would not use a "compression" sack on my quilts, especially synthetic ones. That will shorten the lifespan of the quilt. I use "dry bags" and using one of these will save a bit of weight. The disadvantage is that you end up with one very large bag that will dictate how you pack your backpack. Whereas multiple smaller bags can be usually be tucked away easier. However, if you find a bag that matches the dimensions of the bottom of your backpack, you can still pack efficiently.
    Will being compressed while in your pack really make that much difference? Sure don't store it compressed long-term, but is being compressed for like maybe 16hrs at a shot while you're out hiking really hurt synthetic that much?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    "Stuffing" the quilts into a dry bag or stuff sack is different than what happens in a "compression" sack. Those compression sacks use leverage to crush whats inside them. That can damage the fibers in a quilt such that it won't come back fully lofted.

We all have to "stuff" our quilts for each trip. That's normal operating procedure. And I agree, don't store any quilt compressed at home. I use oversized pillow cases to store them at home.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

How to pack your down UQ and/or TQ

What you want is to fit everything in your pack, but not to compress your down more than necessary. Right? So here's how you do it. Purchase or make a lightweight bag with a simple cordlock closure. I use SpinnTex I got years ago from thru-hiker, but you could use anything from cuben to silnylon. No compression straps needed. Make it big enough to EASILY stuff both your TQ and UQ into it. In my case, this "sleeping insulation" bag is approximately 9-10 inches in diameter by about 18 inches long. Inside your waterproof packliner bag, put this in first, and push it down to the bottom, then wedge it in sideways, so the long axis of the bag goes from one side of the pack bottom to the other. Then as you add your other pieces of gear, their weight will naturally compress the down further. If you are lightly loaded, your down will be compressed less; if heavily loaded, compressed more. My SpinnTex bag weighs 0.6 oz, much less than any compression stuff sack, and my down only gets compressed as much as it needs to be to get everything into my pack. If you are bringing a down jacket for in-camp wear, you can do exactly the same with it; just put it into another sack and put it your pack next, right after the sleeping gear. A smaller sack I use for this purpose only weighs 0.3 oz.

Caveat: this technique only works for down or other compressible insulation.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

An alternate method that some use is a large trash compactor bag lining the whole inside of the backpack. Quilts and everything else you want to stay dry goes inside then the neck is twisted & folded over. All other items get packed on top of the trash compactor bag.
    I recently decided this is the best option after packing several different ways. One large bag at the bottom helps fill every square inch evenly as possible in your pack. I was always reluctant to give up my dry bags/stuff sacks since I've collected so many over the years...but it turns out the cheapest and easiest method was the best with no wasted space.

My personal feeling on compression sacks: ONLY to be used when the item is just plain too large to fit anywhere in your pack (i.e. winter sleeping bag is 18” wide stuffed; pack is only 16” wide)...but then again, this is assuming you're using a stuff sack.

are you guys buying a whole pack/box or the trash compactor bags? or does a vendor sell them in singles?

Here's what I ended up doing at least for now.. nothing is final.

I bought the XL (30L) Sea to Summit e vent compression sack... basically I'm using it as a expensive trash compactor bag/ pack liner.
    I'm pushing everything down getting the air out and sealing the top...not using the compression straps. Quilts seem about as compressed as they would be in their stock stuff sacks, maybe a little more compressed...but, I can control how much I want to compress depending on my load.

benefits: tq/uq are not fully compressed
    bag is waterproof (I hope) with a nice seal at the top
    if I'm overloaded, I can always use the compression straps for extra room
    if needed, everything that is "sensitive" to water can be loaded/will fit into the comp. sack. (deep water crossing, heavy rain, etc.)

cons: heavy
    expensive for a job a trash compactor bag can do.

I'm not set on this, may go the trash compactor bag route due to price and weight... but, I do like the seal on the S2S bag+ it's probably a more durable setup up. (? I don't know, never seen/felt a trash compactor bag in person)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast