Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
    I ordered a roll from Ace Hardware through Amazon In this heat, I'd be a worried about it acting like a greenhouse!
    No kidding. I was afraid that if I set it up in the sun, I'd start to shrink!

I couldn't wait. I put it up! There's no wind, today. But, I cranked down the tie outs with some decent force. All seems well. I can't leave it out on account of the neighbors. I took alot o' pics. Oh, just around 9 oz. Still may need a strip or two of the gorilla tape just to pretty it up. Here they are:

Great pics. I just received my roll of polycryo and I'm still trying to decide what shape I want to make. I'm leaning towards making one with doors, as the weight is not really a factor with this stuff. The package lists the weight as 7.9oz, but I pulled mine off the roll and it weighed in at 8.5oz for a 7'x25' piece, which works out to be about .4oz/sq yard.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Just ran across this thread. Great idea. I am just getting into hanging and in the process of making my first hammock.

Great way for me to keep my initial costs down and and keep my wife happier with this new obsession.

Home Depot has an 84 in by 110 in for $8 plus a roll of Gorilla tape I already own makes for a pretty cheap solution.

EDIT:

I just realized I will probably need two of these since it is only 9 feet long and I am making an 11 foot hammock. Does anyone suppose there is an issue hemming the two pieces perpendicular to the ridge line as opposed to along it?

I might as well order the bulk roll that Kzoo got from Amazon. Does anyone know the difference between the indoor and outdoor shrink wrap? I assume the outdoor is more durable.
    Last edited by Itsamescott; 02-20-2013 at 09:55.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Be sure to have a backup plan, I heard reports that once this stuff starts to tear, it won't stop...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images

still a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Chammocks View Post
    Conclusion:

Tarp is in shreds. Wind of 20 mph destroyed it. Back to the drawing board!
    if your going on a trip with the weather outlook not so bad this would still be a great tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I've also heard reports that it lasts for several seasons of hiking. Even being left out in the elements for durability testing for months on end in the winter. It seems the biggest failure point is the tape and connection points. There is a pretty extensive discussion and testing over at BackpackingLight.com

That being said, when I do get around to making mine, I do not plan on using it in bad weather and never more than a one or two night hike in planned mild weather. I mostly do car camping with my young boys so when the weather does turn worse we head for the car.

I think this would be a good place to start experimenting on what type of tarp shape suits me best (asym, hex, etc) before I go for a full on sylnylon tarp.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsamescott View Post
    I've also heard reports that it lasts for several seasons of hiking. Even being left out in the elements for durability testing for months on end in the winter. It seems the biggest failure point is the tape and connection points. There is a pretty extensive discussion and testing over at BackpackingLight.com

That being said, when I do get around to making mine, I do not plan on using it in bad weather and never more than a one or two night hike in planned mild weather. I mostly do car camping with my young boys so when the weather does turn worse we head for the car.

I think this would be a good place to start experimenting on what type of tarp shape suits me best (asym, hex, etc) before I go for a full on sylnylon tarp.
    Personally, I'd trust Tyvek first, or a cheap poly tarp. You can cut/sew/tape poly tarps into any shape you want, without concerns of them shredding... once the polycro starts to tear, it's pretty much over . . .
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234