Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS
    Funny, you guessed it, it failed at the tie outs. Upon closer inspection today, the tie outs came loose from the polycryo, due to the cold and wet, but they stuck to the taped edges of the tarp, peeling away the tape. What I thought were shards of the tarp were in fact long pieces of the hem tape. I removed all the hem tape, as the material itself seems stronger than the tape anyway, and reattached the tieouts with 2" sqaures of clear duct tape, also used same to reinforce the seam along the ridge line. Patched one small hole with it, and now it's flying well again in 20 mph winds. It was a bear to set up in the wind, but I guess anything that light will be. It's been up for about an hour and a half.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS
    I think the best thing about this tarp is the portable pole pockets. I used a 2.5 or 3 inch square of leather, poked four holes through it with the awl on my Swiss Army knife, threaded some Z-Line through leaving several inches on the tags; these I tied to the center tie outs and adjusted length to fit the pole. I think it's a 124 inch pole from a 2 man Walrus backpacking tent. The fabric is strong but once nicked badly it will tear. Repairs very easily with clear duct tape tho. Tie outs holding now, wind 10 mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Glad you are back in business! Thought it would be the tie-outs as the material is much tougher than it looks.

Lots of good grommet info on the above-mentioned thread from BPL. I'm diggin' the pole mod! Also, you're right about ease of repair - I recommend a small patch of tape as a preventative in the high-risk areas.

Please report back w/more results! Nice tarp.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chammocks View Post
    Seam Failure!

After one plus inches of very heavy wet snow buildup on the tarp, which probably weighed 20 lbs. or so, the center seam failed as I brushed it off with a broom and was shaking the tarp. It held up better than I thought it would! If there were no center seam or used stronger tape, it would still be up. Maybe a strapping tape center seam. Strapping tape would be lighter than the Gorilla tape.
    I'm thinking that Tyvek Tape would be as strong as gorilla tape, and the glues would not fail in time. Probably would be lighter, too...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    This may be the greatest DIY ever! Cheap (very) and being completely transparent passers by can see how dag blasted comfortable you are in your hammock. Except for the part about having a pleasant nights rest disturbed by the rising sun, this is a win-win.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Will certainly make changing your clothes at group hangs interesting.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I've read a few threads on this on BPL and some are using it for tarps, many for ground sheets. To me, it's just too fragile and risky for weight savings. Kind of going too far for weight savings, IMO. Shelter is Survival Essential.

For a state park or car camping trip, it's a cheap alternative to a tarp, but I would not trust it for a back packing trip from what I've read. I've never even seen it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS
    I made another PC tarp yesterday and hung it today. I'm trying it out tonight. Thanks to John Sawyer's generous donation of some Tyvek Tape, I made this one in a hex shape using the tape for tieouts and hems. I found you can buy bulk shrink wrap, 84" x 25' from Ace Hardware, so I'm making two of these 12.5 x 7' hex tarps. Couldn't figure out how to use the tape hems with cat cuts, so I left the sides with a straight cut. Thanks again, John!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS

Tyvek tie out failed

The Tyvek tape tie outs are too brittle. I had five of them snap at various points during the night. I easily repaired them with a bit of clear duct tape. Tyvek tape works okay for the hems. There are no seams on this tarp. The Gorilla tape I used on the first version works much better for tie outs, but JS and I thought that the Tyvek would work well and be much lighter. Clear duct tape works better, and Gorilla tape works best. With all of these tapes, you can peel them off pretty easily without damaging the polycryo and move them or reattach. Repairs are easily made, and the tarp only took a few hours to make. Cost was about $7. It was great to be able to watch the stars with! I'm waiting for the August meteor showers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast