Question Overwhelmed and lost! How to hang a hammock?

Hello Everyone. I am a new member and preparing for my first hammock trip. I am bringing a tent on our family vacation and want to use the hammock to nap/rest/hang out in at camp. I purchased a DN and don't have a clue how to hang it. I have searched this site for an answer to my question, but am so confused by all of the information. Nothing fancy needed and no tarps or bug nets will be used. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Basically you need 2 straps for the trees and a way to connect the hammock to the strap. DN makes a strap called a slap strap. Basically you would connect the hammocks carabiner to the loops sewn in the strap. Now the slap straps aren't really recommended for hammocks that being slept in because ENO makes them out of nylon which stretches too much, but for just lounging, really they're not that bad.

I use a whoopie sling and strap/marlin hitch connection. Works for me and can work fine on an DN. There are things like Elephant Trunks that create an all strap type suspension which is easy to use too. You can check out Grizz's videos on YouTube about suspensions. He goes by Professor Hammock on YouTube.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    It's alot easier then the overload of information here lends itself to be. I would suggest watching Shugs videos on hammocks. which can be found at the begining of general hammock forumn in a sticky ( a thread at the begining).
    as far as your basic question, i do not know what kind of suspension actually comes with your dn , but I have read that the eno slap straps stretch alot. most of the ones i have seen on here use 1' or 1 1/2" polyester webbing/straps to wrap around the trees which should be from 10-15' apart. and then its a matter of how your hammock actually connects to your suspension, wether its carabiners, s hooks, fixed loops with descinder rings ..etc . So in order to get a better answer we would need to know a little more about what you have in suspension at this moment.
    but once again look for shugs videos they explain alot, and in the first few even..
    you can even search it on you tube also..
    good luck your gonna have fun and enjoy it!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    this is the thread for shugs videos +1 on Dblcorona, professor videos are excelletn too heres his thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8843
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    still searching
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Easier than I though

I have been hammock hanging for close to two years. I've always been lucky and had friends who helped me hang the hammock. This past weekend I actually hung the hammock myself using straps (to protect the trees) and toggle bolts and whoopie slings. Easy and no knots required. I was quite proud of myself when I laid in the hammock for the first time and it didn't fall. Now I feel comfortable doing it myself without help. Also, there is a book called the The Ultimate Hang that everyone says is awesome and helps quite a bit. Good luck and enjoy. Once you sleep in a hammock, you will never want to sleep in a tent again.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    One of our members, Grizzly Adams, has put together an excellent 3 part series of videos on hammock suspensions. They will give you a great start.

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension

Part I

Part II

Part III

Then check out DEJOHA, another member, has created some great illustrated guides on Scott Littlefield's (also a member, sclittlefield) BackwoodsDaydreamer.com site that should also help.

Oh, and welcome to the world of the slightly elevated. Once here, you'll never want to go back

Dog
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 11x9 SilNylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ & "Woobie"
    Suspension
    Toggle & Whoopies
    Greetings and welcome!

All the previously mentioned resources are excellent.

In addition, you may want to check out:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html

Enjoy!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    You may want to check out this thread

there's a good illustration that will help.

enjoy!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDog View Post
    One of our members, Grizzly Adams, has put together an excellent 3 part series of videos on hammock suspensions. They will give you a great start.

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension

Part I

Part II

Part III

Then check out DEJOHA, another member, has created some great illustrated guides on Scott Littlefield's (also a member, sclittlefield) BackwoodsDaydreamer.com site that should also help.

Oh, and welcome to the world of the slightly elevated. Once here, you'll never want to go back

Dog
    These link are what I would have recommended to you also. Very easy, nothing really to it. The information overload you get here, will be the worse part about entire process. Once your practicing and doing first hand, rather than reading about it, you'll see how quick and easy it really is.

Welcome, from Ohio.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    Hello Everyone. I am a new member and preparing for my first hammock trip. I am bringing a tent on our family vacation and want to use the hammock to nap/rest/hang out in at camp.
    Ditto to all the above advice. Using the hammock for daytime napping is a great way to start. You can experiment with hanging it, and get a feel for how to get in and out of it, and how to find the sweet spot once you're in. Baby steps. Once you figure out the basics you'll get a feel for how far you want to take hammock camping. Enjoy!

• + New Posts