I've thought about that. Haven't found how to get the fabric as yet -disassembly is okay for a prototype tho. I'd make it like a topquilt, as you say. Have used it that way already; works great but air-leaky at sides. So having it attached to groundpad would be interesting.
Itd be relatively easy to add a little grosgrain along the edges and elastic bands to connect the sides. Some quilts and fleece blankets are built like this and the Escape would makke an okay overlayer or underlayer for one of those. You could use 1 2 or 3 layers depending on the conditions.
I think you are onto something here. But if someone doesn't try it here some other smart fella somewhere else will figure it out.
Yea I don't/can't sew and not sure it would be worth paying someone to.
You know, we seem to be the only ones that understand what is being missed here. I told a kid down at the REI about this and he's been using the Escape for a few months. Says no one will listen to him, they've seen the old space blankets and aren't ready for a headchange.
I wonder why AMK isn't pushing this. Seems like penicillin has been discovered all over again.
One day we will all drink the sol escape koolaide
I also think cutting the bottom and making it close with Velcro and noseeum mesh when open for hot weather times
Nice. Just wish I could think of any other improvements to keep the thread alive...
I purchased an Escape bivvy with the intention of building a versitile, lightweight kit based on the peapod design (hammock running through the layers). I was going to start with a basic hammock, run through a 45* bag, run through the Escape bivvy. I would also have a Thermoreactor bag liner. I figured with these, and a base layer of clothes, that I could get down to 25-30*. Add a bugnet and a tarp, with the variety of layers, I think this setup could handle a temp. range of 25-90+
Unfortunately, when the bivvy arrived in the mail, I discovered it was too narrow and too short. I would love to find this material by the yard and make a larger version.
Last edited by mrmike65; 02-18-2013 at 19:48.
Now, if I could figure out how to bond a mylar space blanket to the cloth-weight tyvek...
btw, I'm 5'11 and 210 lbs.