Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    I've done it down into the mid-40's on the ground over a plastic sheet and a Thermarest RidgeRest. Silkweight Capilene, wool watchcap and socks.

LOVE that thing.

Mine's worked for a total of like 20 nights, no sign of wear. Feels like Tyvek coated with the reflective stuff. Looking from inside out you can see through to a direct light source.

It was hard to use in the hammock - slides around like a bar of soap. But it worked for me a couple of nights (Yosemite in August I think)
    I was thinking about modifying a sol to still stay functionally a closing bivvy with the option as a top quilt by cutting the bottom leaving a foot section uncut at the bottom and adding a zipper or velcro. Still trying to find modded escape bivvy's

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I've thought about that. Haven't found how to get the fabric as yet -disassembly is okay for a prototype tho. I'd make it like a topquilt, as you say. Have used it that way already; works great but air-leaky at sides. So having it attached to groundpad would be interesting.

Itd be relatively easy to add a little grosgrain along the edges and elastic bands to connect the sides. Some quilts and fleece blankets are built like this and the Escape would makke an okay overlayer or underlayer for one of those. You could use 1 2 or 3 layers depending on the conditions.

I think you are onto something here. But if someone doesn't try it here some other smart fella somewhere else will figure it out.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Yea I don't/can't sew and not sure it would be worth paying someone to.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    You know, we seem to be the only ones that understand what is being missed here. I told a kid down at the REI about this and he's been using the Escape for a few months. Says no one will listen to him, they've seen the old space blankets and aren't ready for a headchange.

I wonder why AMK isn't pushing this. Seems like penicillin has been discovered all over again.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw

SOL Escape Bivvy...use as a top quilt?

One day we will all drink the sol escape koolaide

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw

SOL Escape Bivvy...use as a top quilt?

I also think cutting the bottom and making it close with Velcro and noseeum mesh when open for hot weather times

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Nice. Just wish I could think of any other improvements to keep the thread alive...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I purchased an Escape bivvy with the intention of building a versitile, lightweight kit based on the peapod design (hammock running through the layers). I was going to start with a basic hammock, run through a 45* bag, run through the Escape bivvy. I would also have a Thermoreactor bag liner. I figured with these, and a base layer of clothes, that I could get down to 25-30*. Add a bugnet and a tarp, with the variety of layers, I think this setup could handle a temp. range of 25-90+

Unfortunately, when the bivvy arrived in the mail, I discovered it was too narrow and too short. I would love to find this material by the yard and make a larger version.
    Last edited by mrmike65; 02-18-2013 at 19:48.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    I purchased an Escape bivvy with the intention of building a versitile, lightweight kit based on the peapod design (hammock running through the layers). I was going to start with a basic hammock, run through a 45* bag, run through the Escape bivvy. I would also have a Thermoreactor bag liner. I figured with these, and a base layer of clothes, that I could get down to 25-30*. Add a bugnet and a tarp, with the variety of layers, I think this setup could handle a temp. range of 25-90+

Unfortunately, when the bivvy arrived in the mail, I discovered it was too narrow and too short. I would love to find this material by the yard and make a larger version.
    Your version would make my 5am pee very difficult. I am 6' 200 lbs and it is decently large enough with the understanding my arms are a bit constricted. The bend in a hammock may be an issue, i really don't know.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Your version would make my 5am pee very difficult. I am 6' 200 lbs and it is decently large enough with the understanding my arms are a bit constricted. The bend in a hammock may be an issue, i really don't know.
    Made large enough, I don't see that it would be any more constricting than the Peapod. Perhaps with a liberal application of tarp zipper, the setup wouldn't be too difficult to get in and out of. My hammock has a 85" ridgeline, so I'm guessing a bivvy 100" x 40" diameter (at the widest point) should work for me.

Now, if I could figure out how to bond a mylar space blanket to the cloth-weight tyvek...

btw, I'm 5'11 and 210 lbs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast