Thread: PLUQ Questions

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY ??
    Suspension
    woopie sling

PLUQ Questions

I am seriously considering purchasing some PLs to make my underquilts but have a couple of questions I am hoping the hammock world can help out with. The information I see on here talks about doubling up the liner. I am 6'-4" and am concerned with coverage. Any tall people out there have problems with this? If I keep the liner as single layer for full coverage, what kind of temp rating will it give?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm right at 6' and range between 185 and 200 lbs depending on my workout routine and diet during the month.

A doubled-over liner covers me from shoulders to the bottoms of my calves with no width issues; it would probably hit you at mid-calf instead. Which is fine; your feet don't need as much insulation under them as the rest of your body. Or you could put a smallish pad or your empty pack under your calves and feet to maintain warmth.

As to a single-layer liner, I'd probably rate that to the mid-fifties for most folks as under insulation (it really depends on how well you seal it against the bottom of the hammock). Maybe as far as fifty or even high forties, but you're getting into my sleeping territory there (and I'm a nearly-inhumanly warm sleeper).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would not recommend using it as a single layer, because you wont be able to take it too low. Folding it with the middle seem will give to a solid 2/3 quilt that will take you into the 40s. Even lower with a pad if you're willing. I just use a small, cheap-o inflatable walmart sit pad for my feet.
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have been down into the 30's with a single layer PLUQ. But it might depend on the person and also the hammock design. My feet get cold without some insulation so I used the extra material on the sides to extend the length.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    I use mine exclusively single layer, which makes it more of a "double layer" hammock on the shock cords. I also use a wool blanket, which happens to fit in the same dimensions of the poncho liner. I like the full coverage underneath, and with the wool blanket layer, I can get down to 30*. I have spent several night out like this, and carry a spare Mylar/vinyl spare "tarp", which has carried me down to 24* .

Not exactly a lightweight option, but it works for me, 6' 220 lbs. I have grown to like the full length poncho liner as an under quilt option.

To each his own,

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Last edited by gmcpcs; 05-09-2013 at 13:22. Reason: added a photo
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I have been down into the 30's with a single layer PLUQ. But it might depend on the person and also the hammock design. My feet get cold without some insulation so I used the extra material on the sides to extend the length.
    NICE WORK!! I've not seen one on a Clark before.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I agree very well done on the Clark with the PLUQ! Did you use the Velcro on the side of the Clark to hang it ?

Thanks,
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I'm 5'10" and was using it with my head sticking out and then about halfway up my calves stick out.

You could probably pull it off with a piece of reflectix under your feed and calves and still push 40 degrees.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkerev View Post
    I agree very well done on the Clark with the PLUQ! Did you use the Velcro on the side of the Clark to hang it ?

Thanks,
    Yes, the velcro sewn on the UQ lines up with the velcro on the Clark pockets. I intended to sew a strip of velcro on the Clark just above the pockets but this works without modification to the hammock. Pockets are still usable with just a little fiddling.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Great Price on new PL at Sportsman's Guide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=372697

Free Shipping Number : SH285
    good till 5/27
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

• + New Posts