WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

SOL Escape Bivvy...use as a top quilt?

I just saw an add for the Sol Escape Bivvy, which makes this product look like a beefed up emergency blanket in a sleeping bag style. Given that it's supposed to be breathable and weighs in at 8.8 ounces, I was wondering if it might make a good option for a top quilt. Clearly not a 4 season option, but maybe 3 season. Has anyone used the Sol Bivvy yet and could attest to it?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    UGQ 40* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adj Web Suspension
    I have one, and actually packed it on my last trip to try out, but I ended up trying out something else instead. It only has a 1/4 length zipper, so you are in the bag vs. unzipping to create a footbox style quilt.

Hammock
    North American
    Tarp
    sil-nylon rain fly
    Insulation
    bag/pad combo
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    Images
    Backpacker claims that a tester used the bag on the ground wearing base-layers and nothing else and slept fine down to 43 degrees.
    Happy Hanging To All

S-size up the situation
    U-undue haste makes waste
    R-remember where you are
    V-vanquish fear and panic
    I-improvise
    V-value living
    A-act like the natives
    L-live by your wits

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    How "beefy" is the bag? Is it something to use in a pinch or do you think it could be used on a regular bases?

I got one of these for Father's day What is the material?

It feels and this is odd.. like fine corduroy Aluminized Tyvek. I have only been in it for 20 minutes whuilst sitting on the couch. It is a bit warm but I don't know if warm enough to replace a bag.
    -TheNumberSix

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, brief, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/drpreppersc?feature=mhee

http://www.thereadystore.com/?aid=4c62e67b5e9dd

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    I had just bought a SOL Escape bivvy. I had been toying with the idea of using a SOL Emergency bivvy when I discovered the SOL Escape bivvy. My plan for the SOL Emergency was to use a tarp zipper and cut vent holes, then cover them with tyvek. But then I discovered the the SOL Escape bivvy. The escape is basically a Mylar waterproof bag. Where as the Escape is a tyvek material so it vents vapor. So I opted for the SOL Escape instead of the SOL Emergency.

After work today I took a 3 hour nap in it under a fan, The temperature was in the mid 60's. I was not cold. But, I was not overly warm either. It would make an O.K. mild weather bag. I have also tried the SOL Emergency bivvy before. I have to say the SOL Escape is not as warm. However, I don't have to think about cutting vent holes in it to deal with condensation either. The SOL Escape seemed to do a good job of letting moisture vent while trapping some heat and keeping out the breeze.

I have a very light 32*'ish bag that I plan to use the bivvy to supplement. I am a pretty warm sleeper so I can get by with less insulation than most. I think the SOL Escape is not a lot of wight for a little extra insulation. I'll let you know what I think about it after I get caught in a cold snap in the mountains. If you don't hear from me again... then I would say it didn't work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    There is a reason things like that are marketed as Emergency equipment. They are not intended to be comfortable. You're just supposed to survive. I wouldn't use either one unless my life depended on it. Better to be comfortable instead of sort-of-warm and wet, or less sort-of-warm, and wishing you had a top quilt as the temps hit 30F....

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    Just to be clear, SOL Emergency bivvy is different than the SOL Escape bivvy. The SOL Escape bivvy actual lets vapor escape the bivvy. So you don't wake up in a puddle. That said it is not that warm. It might keep you alive in cold rain conditions. Alive and comfortable are two very different things.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Guys im not seeing much info about how this bag performed. I will say conductive heat loss is going to come into play if your skin is against anything cold. Of course you want to use a pad, maybe just a reflectix pad inside it or something. That said i do wonder how it is in a hammock, however again there should be underquilt in play so that is les of an issue.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by survive7713 View Post
    Backpacker claims that a tester used the bag on the ground wearing base-layers and nothing else and slept fine down to 43 degrees.
    I've done it down into the mid-40's on the ground over a plastic sheet and a Thermarest RidgeRest. Silkweight Capilene, wool watchcap and socks.

LOVE that thing.

Mine's worked for a total of like 20 nights, no sign of wear. Feels like Tyvek coated with the reflective stuff. Looking from inside out you can see through to a direct light source.

It was hard to use in the hammock - slides around like a bar of soap. But it worked for me a couple of nights (Yosemite in August I think)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast