Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    The more I look at the picture, I realize that the rings being stacked or not is a direct result of the knot that is tied. Hear me out.

A "knot" does not allow the loop of cord that the rings are in to tighten around the rings, keeping them in place. The ring that has the webbing fully around it has rearward pressure that pushes it back into the extra room that is left by the knot.

A hitch, on the other hand (lark's head, prusik) will tighten on the rings when it's weighted thus leaving no room for the ring to slide back.

* this setup may work for you, hooch, but this is the reason my wife's hammock slipped this weekend. I did not realize the problem until just now. I left the knot that was tied around the S-hook on her SBPro and just put rings in it's place. I thought it was because the webbing was slicker than mine, but no, I used the same webbing on my friends HH. The only difference was that hers had a knot and his had a hitch. We tied a safety behind the rings anyway so it wasn't a big issue, but this is the problem. I'll have to fix that when I get home tonight. Thanks for helping me discover this problem. USE HITCHES

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    The more I look at the picture, I realize that the rings being stacked or not is a direct result of the knot that is tied. Hear me out.

A "knot" does not allow the loop of cord that the rings are in to tighten around the rings, keeping them in place. The ring that has the webbing fully around it has rearward pressure that pushes it back into the extra room that is left by the knot.

A hitch, on the other hand (lark's head, prusik) will tighten on the rings when it's weighted thus leaving no room for the ring to slide back.

* this setup may work for you, hooch, but this is the reason my wife's hammock slipped this weekend. I did not realize the problem until just now. I left the knot that was tied around the S-hook on her SBPro and just put rings in it's place. I thought it was because the webbing was slicker than mine, but no, I used the same webbing on my friends HH. The only difference was that hers had a knot and his had a hitch. We tied a safety behind the rings anyway so it wasn't a big issue, but this is the problem. I'll have to fix that when I get home tonight. Thanks for helping me discover this problem. USE HITCHES
    I just wandered by, first time on this thread, saw the picture and gasped.

You have it exactly right. The back side of those rings are best tightened down when weight is applied. If the rings are together at the back, they'll be together and doing their job at the front.

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So still using the stock cord that is on the eno. What you would you recommend to hole the rings tight?

Otherwise if I were to use some of the really thin rope how to I attach it to both the stock rope and the rings? I worry the thinness of the aircell stuff would cause it to rip through the rope that is used on the hammock.

You wouldn't have to use really thin stuff, but something much thinner than what is being used now. Then just go from the exiting rope to the rings with the thinner cord.

John

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You don't think the thinner rope would cut through the exiting rope?

I wouldn't think so, those ropes aren't very abrasive as they have to be able to slide around on deck hardware easily.

On nogods' Claytor, he replaced the stock strap from the hammock with polypro straps and took those right to the rings eliminating the smaller cord. Something to think about.

John
    Last edited by Mrprez; 08-20-2008 at 22:19.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    If you are concerned about cutting through the channel in the hammock end, you could pass the cord through several times to cover more surface area, spreading out the pressure.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I think I'm misunderstanding something. Why not just use the same cord that's attaching the biner? Unless it's to short just sub it out for a longer piece of something similar.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What I was saying was that I would attach the spectra to the stock cord that is already on the eno. i thought that cord would be too thick to attach evenly to the 2 rings so I wanted to attach the spectra to the cord that is already there. But I was worried with the spectra being so thin and having so much weight on it that it might cut thorough the cord. Kinda like how a piece of wire is used to cut cheese.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    For my third consecutive post...... If I were changing and ENO to rings this is what I'd do.

I'd pull the cord out of the channel *being very careful to drag another temporary piece of string or something trough to save it's place* , Attach the rings to the stock cord with a lark's head or prusik, then pull the cord back through with your temporary string and tie a double fisherman's knot to keep the end together inside the channel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast