Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I have used slapstraps for almost a year on one clark hammock and about 7 months on the other. and have never let me say it again never had any problems with mine. Yes they do stretch some in the beginning but I have never ended on my butt. I do think that you are limited too how many different postions you have from the little sewn in loops but if I can make it right that way I just untie the slippery bowline knot and snug it up.

everyone has there own way of doing things.
    I can't wait to see some other way's with suspensions at the midwest hang and I am really counting on Neo to play show and tell.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Can the ring buckle set up be done for less than a pair of slap straps? I think I paid 19$ for the slap straps. Also can those types of rings be bought from a hardware store? My local rei doesn't carry the rings.

I think I'm going to attach the rings to the knot that is already on my eno and attach it from there to the 1" poly webbing. Skipping the aircore skinny rope.

Like this.

I'm not sure that would work as your rings aren't on top of each other. It may tighten up when you get in there, but I would do so very slowly and with the expectation that you are going to go to the ground. See if you can get the rings stacked and then tighten up on the rope from the hammock. I'm using a much smaller cord (3mm) and a prussic knot which makes the rings very tight together. This puts maximum pressure on the webbing when weighted.

You can get the rings at a hardware store, but they aren't rated to hold like the ones from a climbing shop.

John

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    when I attached rings to the cords that were on the ATHH I used a prussic knot... or a variation (2 wraps instead of 3) that positions the rings properly and pinches them really tight under pressure. I started out using a full full prussic and it was too loose. I am now using a 3 mm rope w/2 wraps and it holds very nicely.

I tie the half hitch safety right close to the rings as well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Can the ring buckle set up be done for less than a pair of slap straps? I think I paid 19$ for the slap straps. Also can those types of rings be bought from a hardware store? My local rei doesn't carry the rings.

I think I'm going to attach the rings to the knot that is already on my eno and attach it from there to the 1" poly webbing. Skipping the aircore skinny rope.

Like this.

I just put ring buckles on 2 hammock (wife's and a friends). I put them both together in less then 10 mins and it cost. $o.20/foot for the webbing (12') and $0.87 for the rings. (I think I bought mine at Lowes for $1.25 a pair.)

I used the stock webbing the came with my Claytor and some other cord I had laying around. Bought 2 biners at $5 each. So my system cost me $11.25 !!!

* I don't like the knot pictured in you post for this application. It may be fine, but I used a lark's head with a double overhand stopper behind it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The photo used is my hammock when it was new and I had just added the ring buckles to it. It works just fine like that, even without the rings stacked directly on top of each other. I always tie a half hitch or daisy chain with the leftover webbing for safety, just in case. Works fine for me.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    The photo used is my hammock when it was new and I had just added the ring buckles to it. It works just fine like that, even without the rings stacked directly on top of each other. I always tie a half hitch or daisy chain with the leftover webbing for safety, just in case. Works fine for me.

Hope you don't mind me using your pic an example.

So you've camped with the knot set up and had no problems?

Also in another photo of yours you have what looks like skinny rope attached to a thicker rope around the tree than thick rope again at the hoops. Did you do this just to save weight and bulk? What is the skinny rope? Also how did you decide on how long the skinny rope should be vs the length of the thicker rope?

Forgive all the technical nomenclature..skinny rope vs big rope!

Here's the pic I was referring to.

OK. Mongo happy - me happy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Also in another photo of yours you have what looks like skinny rope attached to a thicker rope around the tree than thick rope again at the hoops. Did you do this just to save weight and bulk? What is the skinny rope? Also how did you decide on how long the skinny rope should be vs the length of the thicker rope?

Forgive all the technical nomenclature..skinny rope vs big rope!
    Looks to me like it's just one piece of webbing that happens to be aligned with the viewing angle of the camera such that you see the skinny side where it comes out of the biner.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I'm probably splitting hairs here, because they obviiously both work, but with that said it is my opinion that it is better to have the rings stacked as it pulls the bight of strap farther into the rings and pinches it tighter. The same priciple as adding an extra wrap in a hitch only on a smaller scale. That probably makes no sense and may need to be illustrated. Also, I think there is a better choice for a knot. Not that this setup does not work, it obviously does, only that I think it would fail sooner than another knot and stacked rings. Like I said, it's splitting hairs, a good or better type thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast