hast maketh waste

i have been making a tarp out of cuben, and last week i finally got some more 3m9460 to complete it. all that i had to do is locate and attach my two pullouts/ door retainers ( for the open position). i worked on a peice of 8 X 4 ' plywood. attached , rolled in the bond.......and marveled on the beautiful job of it, i had done! when folding up the tarp , my attention was instantly drawn to the two new pull outs........NUTZ! they were not in the same mirrored location...even though i was using the same centerline mark to measure off of. both were the same hight on the tarp. but one was off set by 1.5inch...had a cup of coffee to calm myself and figured out that i had done. after attaching side one, i flipped the tarp over and without flipping over the farming square over, layed out AND attached patch #2. sure enought the width of the square is 1.5! so my question is can a 1.0cuben patch be peiled off of an .7cuben tarp and be reused? i have quite an assorment of solvents in the garage. think a good solvent will help , or hinder this? what i'm afraid of (besides rodeo clowns and sidewalk cracks) is that when they are used as side pull outs there will be a pronounced stress wrinkle diagonaly from pull out to pull out.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO the thing to do is to set the beastie up and stake it out. If you don't mind what you end up with then simply acknowledge it as an "asym" tarp. There are lots of those around. If you don't like the result... then revisit the removal and reattachment.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yep, set it up and see. Consider the "character" this will add to your tarp (leave well enough alone).

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Lesser adhesives will pull the polyester laminate away from the dyneema fibers, so I wouldn't try to detach anything fastened with 9460, especially if you used Primer 94. On the other hand, if you didn't use the primer and it's only been a short time since you fastened it, you might try gently peeling the patch off. It takes a week for that adhesive to reach full strength, though it starts off at 80% or so. A better course would be to use it as is or add another pull-out if the location really matters. (Remember: "The perfect is the enemy of the good.")

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Yep, set it up and see. Consider the "character" this will add to your tarp (leave well enough alone).
    "Character." I like that.

I've been calling all my results 'skee-wompus', but as long as they did the job I've been more than okay keeping them that way. I thought I was just being lazy, but now I see that I have been engaged in the 'character building' process.

+1 on the give-it-a-whirl-and-see-how-it-works advice. The bears won't laugh, and any hikers that do are just jealous .
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Mark it up as "custom" work and you're good to go.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Get you one of those Real Deal Brasil hats and set it up. Anyone asks just give them a stern look and they'll see you're all about the character.

Next time don't do it again. Course, I usually don't but find a totally NEW and IMPROVED way to screw up.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    eh, if it was perfect no one would believe you made it.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    just tell everyone you did it like that to account for global warming, continetal drift,phases of the moon and jupiter was in retrograde. And you can show them the math but they wouldnt understand it unless they took a class from griz lol.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

• + New Posts