Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant

Red River Gorge

Just spent 4 days and 3 nights at Red River Gorge hiking and hammock camping with my wife and friends. Was a scorcher! 1st night we hiked the Auxier Ridge trail and stayed out on a peninsula overlooking the gorge towards Raven's Rock. Took a short hike on up the trail to see Haystack and Courthouse rocks as well as the double arch across the gorge. Beautiful clear weather that night and we hung under the stars without bug nets or bug spray! Awesome night around the campfire sipping Red Stag and smoking cigars! We woke up to a gorge below us completely engulfed in fog. breathtaking! we made bfast and then hiked back out that morning to meet the rest of our group who came in on Saturday. Once together we hiked to Grey's arch and then kept going on rough trail until we found the 2nd watersource on the map. They don't call it rough trail for nothing, it was quite a hike for my wife expecially for her first time ever in the woods! Once there we found a beautiful setting along the creek and set up camp. 5 hangers and 2 in a tent. had a rough time starting a fire because everything was so wet in the bottom of the valley but managed to get it done and enjoyed another beautiful night under the dark canopy of the forest with stars peeking through the treetops. Canopy was so thick you couldnt see your hand in front of your face in the dark. :-) beautiful temps but did deploy bug nets as they were a bit thicker and annoying down there - but not really biting! no spray was needed the entire weekend in fact. The next morning we hiked over to a lookout near the clifty wilderness and then back down pinch 'em tight trail to the car. We resupplied water at the car and decided to camp the last night at the first water source on Rough trail. So we hiked an hour back into the woods and set up camp. Was VERY warm that day and 3 of us EASILY went through the 4+ gallons of water we were carrying between us... Back at camp HomemadeHiker quickly started a fire and we enjoyed another night under the canopy in complete darkness listening to the stream and whipporwills lull us to sleep. At one point while sitting aroung the campfire that had been reduced to coals we noticed a blueish-white glow about 50 feet away. upon investigation we found a log that was rotting and the exposed part that was rotting was glowing very vividly. Beautiful. We did not see a ton of wildlife but we did see many birds, 2 lizards, some fish in the stream, and one of us got chased by a snake. :-) The vegetation was gorgeous and i couldnt get over the size of some of the plants growing in the forest! Incredible. overall we ended up having a GREAT weekend and my wife's first hang was a success!!!

I can't thank Tonka and HomemadeHiker enough for inviting us, being our guides, and being our outfitters for this memorable trip!!! Thanks guys!! I look forward to our next adventure!! I'm thinking Clifty Wilderness and a climb up Raven's Rock?! What do ya think???
    “Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.”
    ― Steven Wright

please tell me you made it to Miquels for pizza!!!
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel
    Thanks for the wonderful trip report! The RRG always has a place in my heart. Glad your wife enjoyed it. Miguel's Pizza and a good Ale8 always makes the day better

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sounds like everyone had a fantastic time! Thanks for the report!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Hellz yeah we hit miguels. Nice report thanks for not mentioning my screaming baby!!!

Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    LOL No prob bro! Miguels was awesome! Ale8's too!!
    ― Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    please tell me you made it to Miquels for pizza!!!
    + 1 Was at the Gorge myself two weeks ago and was introduced to this delicacy. Mmmmmmm...
    RAT PACK #1009

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a great time. I don't know how you guys can handle these hot temps...I would die! I've never been there so maybe I'll plan a trip down in the fall.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images

Heat wave,

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Sounds like a great time. I don't know how you guys can handle these hot temps...I would die! I've never been there so maybe I'll plan a trip down in the fall.
    Water, Water, Water. Drink it, sleep in a valley near it, cool your feet and/or whole body in it before, after and during said hike.
    Also, it really wasn't humid, which I think really makes difference in regulating your temp.

Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    Humidity and wind played a huge factor I agree. 3rd day with no breeze and a bunch of humidity under the canopy was tough. But it let up once we hit the ridge. After lunch a breeze came in and that helped a bunch!
    ― Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast