HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Whoopie Sling Newb Questions

Ok, so I've been browsing for a while now on these whoopie slings and had a few questions before I start the journey to the dark side.

Currently I'm running a HH hyperite with stock suspension and have concerns about the longevity of the line used in conjunction with the basic lashing HH uses to secure the hammock to the webbing, IN ADDITION to the longevity of the line when spliced together with another line to add length to reach trees spaced further than the stock suspension allows.

1) I was reading that the nature of the whoopie retains most of the line strength, AND eliminates most of the localized stresses in the line. I would imagine that this is superior in terms of strength retention when compared to a line with an extension (two lines tied together), but what about the basic lashing?

2) Is the longevity of the line severely comprimised when using an extension or a lashing when compared to a whoopie?

3) I've noticed different size line being used to create whoopies. It seems that a larger one would be easier to splice and would hold more weight. But would also be heavier. What I've seen used most (7/64") has a test of 1600lbs. Thats sufficient to support any amount of weight I could put on it, even with a 80% line derating for a safety factor (extreme, I know). I guess the question here is, why not go smaller? Would a smaller line put more localized stress on the hammock connection, or the webbing connection at the tree?

4) Converting an HH, is this a simple process? I'm assuming it voids any kind of factory warranty, but is it reversible? (I don't have my hammock in front of me to see for myself.)

5) I read that people use about 12'-14' of line per size for 6' of adjustment. Seeing is that how it's pretty much a rope doubled back on itself, does that then indicate 6' adjustment PER SIDE? So, roughly 12' total?

6) After the final back splice in the end that hangs out (IDK what it's called.) do any of you tie a stopper knot to keep from pulling your splice through on accident?

7) Does having a whoopie limit the minimum distance of your trees?

8) Do snakeskins interfere with whoopies too much to be considered worth it? (I know some people plain don't like em, but I'm not aksing about that here. )

Hmmm. I think I'm out of questions for the moment. I'll come back if I think of anymore.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Teegs View Post
    1) I was reading that the nature of the whoopie retains most of the line strength, AND eliminates most of the localized stresses in the line. I would imagine that this is superior in terms of strength retention when compared to a line with an extension (two lines tied together), but what about the basic lashing?
    Whoopies put less wear-stress on the line than just about any knot or lashing, including the 'standard hennessy lashing'.

2) Is the longevity of the line severely comprimised when using an extension or a lashing when compared to a whoopie?
    That depends on the line that each are made of, as well as other factors like weathering, chaffing, etc. Whoopies will last easily as long or longer than a standard rope that is lashed.

3) I've noticed different size line being used to create whoopies. It seems that a larger one would be easier to splice and would hold more weight. But would also be heavier. What I've seen used most (7/64") has a test of 1600lbs. Thats sufficient to support any amount of weight I could put on it, even with a 80% line derating for a safety factor (extreme, I know). I guess the question here is, why not go smaller? Would a smaller line put more localized stress on the hammock connection, or the webbing connection at the tree?
    You can go smaller, in some instances. Some members here use Dynaglide (2mm, nominally will hold ~1000lbs). But there is not much 'safety factor' there when you consider the dynamic forces that can load a hammock suspension from the occupant, trees swaying, structural ridgeline, etc. Unless you're just shaving grams to meet a certain weight of kit, it's best to leave more safety margin in the suspension.

Yes, smaller lines put more stress in a tighter area on the whoopie->webbing connection. Some people use hardware there to reduce that (see whoopie hooks).

4) Converting an HH, is this a simple process? I'm assuming it voids any kind of factory warranty, but is it reversible? (I don't have my hammock in front of me to see for myself.)
    It's a very simple process of untying one suspension and re-threading a second one on. Completely reversible.

5) I read that people use about 12'-14' of line per size for 6' of adjustment. Seeing is that how it's pretty much a rope doubled back on itself, does that then indicate 6' adjustment PER SIDE? So, roughly 12' total?
    A bit less. It depends on the lengths of cording used in the buries.

6) After the final back splice in the end that hangs out (IDK what it's called.) do any of you tie a stopper knot to keep from pulling your splice through on accident?
    The hanging end is called 'the tail' of the whoopie. And the backsplice on the end of the tail itself prevents the tail from being pulled into the bury. The backsplice essentially doubles the thickness of the end.

Marginally. It limits it some because there is always the length of the cording bury in the whoopie between the hammock end and the tree connection. This can be mitigated by simply attaching to the webbing at the 'side' of the tree. Generally, it's a non-issue.

8) Do snakeskins interfere with whoopies too much to be considered worth it? (I know some people plain don't like em, but I'm not aksing about that here. )
    Snakeskins don't interfere in any way. They slide over whoopies just like any other type of cording.

9) This is the question I didn't ask?
    Yes, you may be over-thinking whoopies. They're really quite simple.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes, you may be over-thinking whoopies. They're really quite simple.

Thanks for the prompt reply!!! Of course I'm overthinking whoopies. I'm an engineer.

But seriously, thanks. I think I'll be ordering some amsteel this week.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Ok, so I've been browsing for a while now on these whoopie slings and had a few questions before I start the journey to the dark side.

Currently I'm running a HH hyperite with stock suspension and have concerns about the longevity of the line used in conjunction with the basic lashing HH uses to secure the hammock to the webbing, IN ADDITION to the longevity of the line when spliced together with another line to add length to reach trees spaced further than the stock suspension allows.

As far as I understand when any line has a knot it does put a lot of stress on the line because of the tight bends in the knot. Whoopies use splices instead of knots so there aren't really any tight bends to reduce strength. Also by the "the basic lashing" i'm guessing you'r referring to the larks head that attaches the whoopie to the hammock (I've never used a HH)? If so I don't think it would put too much stress on the line because there aren't really any tight bends since it's being wrapped around the hammock material.

Some people do go smaller! You can use dynaglyde, it is smaller and lighter but is not as strong. You need to remember though that yes, 7/64" is rated for 1600lbs but it WILL NOT support even a 1000lbs person hanging in a hammock. There are other forces apllied and someone who knows the numbers on this i'm sure will reply. It has something to do with trigonometry...

Yes, if you take a 14' line and make a whoopie the longest that whoopie could be is around 6' since it's doubled over on itself. So a total of around 12' if you figure in a whoppie sling on each side of the hammock. If your worried about using so much line you might want to look at UCR's its basicly one line with another 2' burry section over it so you don't have to double up the line (that's another story though)

The tail end normally has a little stopper splice in it, it's basically the end of the line pulled inside itself. That way the end doesn't fray and it is also thick enough that it won't get pulled through the burry. Some people put a beed on the adjustable loop end to keep that from getting pulled through also

Yes, if you consider the fact that there is a fixed loop that attaches to the hammock and the lenght of the burry for the adjustable part, the smallest you can make the whoopie sling is around 2'. I use a continuous loop at the end of my hammock and attach my whoope sling to that, so if the trees are really close together then i can just attach the continuous loop to the marlin spike hitch instead of the whoopie.

Hmmm. I think I'm out of questions for the moment. I'll come back if I think of anymore.
    I answered the questions I could in blue. This is all as far as I understand it, I may be wrong on on a few things but i'm sure/hope someone with more experience will correct me if I am!
    Last edited by Pj1008; 05-30-2012 at 15:37.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    A decent vid to follow for the conversion here

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My Conversion
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's another one I thought of last night.

What can you guys verify thus far as the maximum weight the slings will support without slippage?

Basically, whose the heaviest person here that has successfully hung without slippage.

But more seriously could the slings take approx 300lbs without slipping?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    They've been tested to the breaking point of the cording. As I recall, 7/64" Amsteel failed at over 1500+ lbs at the fixed-eye splice, on multiple tests. No 'slipping' involved.

Link

Don't overthink it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The way the adjustable splice works the more weight that is applied the tighter it constricts. Slippage is not a concern. AS is correct that the bigger concern would be if you wanted to put 1700 pounds of load on the 7/64th" slings....and then you should just go up to the next larger size. 300 pounds is nothing for the 7/64th" amsteel.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well the concern wasn't the tensile strength of the amsteel. That material is bulletproof as far as hammock loads are concerned.

I was mostly worried about it slipping when my lady and I sit in the hammock sideways and read.

Here's another question. Typically I set my rainfly in the HH fashion with it hooked to the main lines of the hammock. Amsteel is too slick for the prusiks, but why not make smaller (lighter) whoopies for the rainfly and connect them to the dutch clip?

Does the whoppie only hold its tension well under load? I'm thinking that I don't want to carry a whole extra 30' of paracord just to ridgeline my tarp, and having the whoopis on either end of the tarp would give me the same adjustment that the prusiks had. Thoughts?

Also thanks again for the prompt and informative replies. You guys are awesome and I can only imagine the technological, and technical progress in hammock camping over the next couple of years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast