Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    Senior Member ShortTripHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ghent, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Posts
    105
    Images
    3

    Virginians Unite! That goes for WV/MD/PA too..!

    As I am still new to the forum, I dont know any forum members--besides my girlfriend, of corse!

    I'm getting kind of jealous reading about all these great hangs and other social events that I'd love to attend, but would take over ten hours to drive to. I haven't seen a Virginia group hang this season since the Grayson Highlands gathering, though Im hoping for "WV" to do another hang in Dolly Sods

    I don't have any immediate plans or dates, though I do have some good ones in mind. It would be great to meet some forum members that are within vicinity for some hiking, hanging, libation, talking gear, etc. I am new to hammocks so it would be great to see some other's set-ups.

    So I guess this goes out to anyone who's interested in a VA hang in the near distant future. Feel free to PM, and have a great day!

  2. #2
    Senior Member peteypk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    Posts
    130
    i'm in... i'm a noob too and would love to meet and greet some hammock-folk!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DBL / ENO DBLNest
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Posts
    216
    What does everybody think of a Big Meadows hang? Not sure of the group sites there, but, we did stay this past weekend at a site that had some good "hammocktunity" ??

  4. #4
    Senior Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    4,031
    Images
    207
    You've got a lot of nice places just west of you, and of course you're welcome to travel a bit further west to Almost Heaven. Nothing planned at the moment, but a number of us West Virginians have been thinking about smaller group hangs closer to home. Ever been to Seneca Creek?

  5. #5
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,131
    What about Ohio

  6. #6
    Senior Member ShortTripHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ghent, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Posts
    105
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You've got a lot of nice places just west of you, and of course you're welcome to travel a bit further west to Almost Heaven. Nothing planned at the moment, but a number of us West Virginians have been thinking about smaller group hangs closer to home. Ever been to Seneca Creek?
    NO--but I've seen pictures of the area such as Judy Springs...it all looks gorgeous!! I am not against driving to a West VA hang, especially with great people that know the area well

    Anytime after June 20 is great for me.
    That's plenty of time to plan...

  7. #7
    Senior Member ShortTripHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ghent, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Posts
    105
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post
    What does everybody think of a Big Meadows hang? Not sure of the group sites there, but, we did stay this past weekend at a site that had some good "hammocktunity" ??
    Big Meadows is a great strategic location for exploring the rest of the central section of SNP, but I was through there late last month and wasn't pleased with the trees in the campground.

    Outside the possibility of a Seneca Creek trip in West Virginia, I was thinking other places for meet ups such as Sherando Lake, Saint Mary's Wilderness, Ramsey's Draft Wilderness, Mt. Pleasant Recreation Area, Tinker Cliffs/McFees Knob area, etc.

    Anyone have any other good places on their minds?

  8. #8
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Posts
    7,620
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by peteypk View Post
    i'm in... i'm a noob too and would love to meet and greet some hammock-folk!
    You have a very tiny head - are we allowed to make fun of it at a group hang?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DBL / ENO DBLNest
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTripHome View Post
    Big Meadows is a great strategic location for exploring the rest of the central section of SNP, but I was through there late last month and wasn't pleased with the trees in the campground.

    Outside the possibility of a Seneca Creek trip in West Virginia, I was thinking other places for meet ups such as Sherando Lake, Saint Mary's Wilderness, Ramsey's Draft Wilderness, Mt. Pleasant Recreation Area, Tinker Cliffs/McFees Knob area, etc.

    Anyone have any other good places on their minds?
    I've only driven through Sherando - It seemed the sites were kinda treeless there....Crabtree Falls as a possibility too??

    We were at Big Meadows just last weekend and took a little "Driving tour" on departure - we stayed at A95 and had trees for 4 hammocks certainly and probably 2-3 more....

    I mentioned Big Meadows primarily because of location - a couple of hours from near about anyone in VA unless you're out in Damascus or something. We were there meeting up with DC friends and it sounded like the drive was about equal for both of us.

    I wonder about Sky Meadows State Park? Anyone know where it rates on the hammocktunity scale? (I'm pretty sure I've got the name right - I'm thinking along US17 on the left near where you turn to head towards Paris at a traffic light when northbound..I *think* the AT runs near/through there..??)

  10. #10
    hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,308
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post
    I've only driven through Sherando - It seemed the sites were kinda treeless there....

    Not so. You must have driven through the camper sites. The tent sites are up in the woods and are pretty tree filled. I have not hung a hammock there but I could ride over and check it out. It's about 30 minutes from me.
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Similar Threads

  1. Utah Hangers UNITE!
    By dman in forum West
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 20:06
  2. Texas Hammocks Unite
    By Counselor in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 09:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •