Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
    One of the reviews that I read said the bars were really hard to install and a bit temperamental. Did anyone have trouble with that?
    I've only set up the UL BMBH before and the whole set up goes up super fast and easy. No problems with the bars what so ever. Just my experiences with it. Just as long as you don't grab the bars while in the hammock cause then they will snap. The bars have stayed in place with no slippage. I do feel (and not just with the BMBH UL) that a Bridge feels more tipsy then a gathered end but once I am in, man I just fall asleep like a baby. I'm just a bit more careful sitting down in one regardless of the maker.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    My wife and I have both models. The spreader bars are a bit harder to put into the rings on the deluxe model. The spreader bars on the UL model practically fall into place. I am not sure if this is a true model difference or if it is just a matter of deviation in assembling the hammock.
    My Flickr photos Outdoors collection

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    One of the reviews that I read said the bars were really hard to install and a bit temperamental. Did anyone have trouble with that?
    The spreader bars are actually super easy to install...

The only time there is an issue is when there is the classic "operator error" of stringing the hammock up tightly...When this occurs the sprader bars are hard, if not impossible to install....THIS A CLEAR SIGN THAT ONE IS DOING SOMTHING WRONG.

There is an often stated misperception on this forum that a bridge style hammock should be strung tighter or flatter than a a gathered end hammock... THIS IS WRONG. Bridge style hammocks get suspended at the same 30* down angle as any other properly hung hammock.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

The only time there is an issue is when there is the classic "operator error" of stringing the hammock up tightly...When this occurs the sprader bars are hard, if not impossible to install....THIS A CLEAR SIGN THAT ONE IS DOING SOMTHING WRONG.

There is an often stated misperception on this forum that a bridge style hammock should be strung tighter or flatter than a a gathered end hammock... THIS IS WRONG. Bridge style hammocks get suspended at the same 30* down angle as any other properly hung hammock.

Pan
    With this in mind, how do I know when the UL is set up correctly? When I had the regular BMBH, I thought I was supposed to tighten it until the bugnet was tight, then back it off a little. With my new UL hung at the proper 30*, the bugnet is rather loose...
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    With this in mind, how do I know when the UL is set up correctly? When I had the regular BMBH, I thought I was supposed to tighten it until the bugnet was tight, then back it off a little. With my new UL hung at the proper 30*, the bugnet is rather loose...
    Some what larger bug net on the UL prevents bug net tearing that sometimes occured in earlier models.

Once you set it up a couple of time proper hang will come natural.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by photohiker View Post
    Nice series BackPackHiker

Here's a link to the first in the series:

Are you going to review the UL BMB?
    I will see what I can do, I would love to demo it for everyone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I've only set up the UL BMBH before and the whole set up goes up super fast and easy. No problems with the bars what so ever. Just my experiences with it. Just as long as you don't grab the bars while in the hammock cause then they will snap. The bars have stayed in place with no slippage. I do feel (and not just with the BMBH UL) that a Bridge feels more tipsy then a gathered end but once I am in, man I just fall asleep like a baby. I'm just a bit more careful sitting down in one regardless of the maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by more View Post
    My wife and I have both models. The spreader bars are a bit harder to put into the rings on the deluxe model. The spreader bars on the UL model practically fall into place. I am not sure if this is a true model difference or if it is just a matter of deviation in assembling the hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    The directions on my UL still say to pull the net tight and then back off untill a slight sag in the net, which is about the same as the directions on my older no zip model. But it also says for a maximum of 8'9" between the outer rings, which is a shorter distance than on my older no zip model, which I think called for 9'6" MAX.

But on the above posts, don't understand a problem or difference. I have both and seems identical to me and neither has ever been a problem whatsoever. But like Pan said, maybe if you set up with a certain technique there could be problems. Still, I think it would be the same with either one.

I always hang the hammock loosely and put the bars in ( always super easy with either ) and THEN tighten things up. Although when I have a RL installed this order does not seem to be needed. But with out a RL, if I pulled the hammock snug BEFORE putting the bars in, I'm sure it would be a bear to get them in place. But, I never do that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-25-2012 at 09:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12