Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    I can't wait for you to put up more pictures of your kit the one
    I really like it this one http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...imageuser=1940

That could be an affective way to deal with hiking around here during
    dear season.
    Hello! I placed a few more pics in my gallery of the Clark's setup as a tent\bivy using the original canopy. I'ts shown setup for ventilation and one pic is of it hunkered down for a storm. The MacCat Deluxe tarp works even better.

Good blessings!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    By the way, did you come to you conclusions by testing both hammocks at the same time, with your own money, or have you simply formed an opinion based on the one hammock? There is a difference you know.

Good blessings!
    To answer your question... it would appear that I have personally tested more hammocks than the two you selected. Of course I am not as discerning and knowledgeable as you so I obviously got it wrong. Silly me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

the facts of the matter

One of the characteristics of outdoor gear people is that they often develop strong likes and dislikes about the pros and cons of different equipment styles and materials. And in most places express those opinions, indeed, project those opinions, forcefully, because opinions have become "fact".

By contrast, one of the characteristics of HF and most of the posters here is the recognition that comfortable and utility are highly personal things. What some find to be the most compelling features imaginable in one setup, others do not. Even if the fact of the feature or its operation is not in dispute.

In fact I find it informative to listen to the positive and negative opinions---expressed and understood as only opinions---that people make, as a way of learning about set-ups other than my own.

So it seems to me that the facts about different hammocks, quilts, etc. etc. etc. may not be in dispute at all, but the degree to which the fact matters, is positive, or is negative, is very much a personal thing, and hence not one worth arguing about.

my $0.05.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    One of the characteristics of outdoor gear people is that they often develop strong likes and dislikes about the pros and cons of different equipment styles and materials. And in most places express those opinions, indeed, project those opinions, forcefully, because opinions have become "fact".

By contrast, one of the characteristics of HF and most of the posters here is the recognition that comfortable and utility are highly personal things. What some find to be the most compelling features imaginable in one setup, others do not. Even if the fact of the feature or its operation is not in dispute.

In fact I find it informative to listen to the positive and negative opinions---expressed and understood as only opinions---that people make, as a way of learning about set-ups other than my own.

So it seems to me that the facts about different hammocks, quilts, etc. etc. etc. may not be in dispute at all, but the degree to which the fact matters, is positive, or is negative, is very much a personal thing, and hence not one worth arguing about.

my $0.05.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Grizz
    I agree and I don't want this to become a venue for arguing among fellow hammock users. I'm sure they all have their strength’s and weakness’. One thing I'm sure we can all agree on though is that a bad day in a hammock is better than a great day in a tent anytime.

Do I have an amen!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I will second that

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    leepingreenlizards.. I think you are projecting your preferences onto everyone else. I am sure the Clark is a good product. I am equally sure that _I_ would not find it superior to the Hennessey becasue the HH has some extremely "useful and functional features." Not the least of which is bottom entry which is absolutely essential to me as I have mobility issues. I have no problem with people expressing their own opinions and being passionate about their preferences. However, I think you post tends to move beyond personal opinion and border on overall perspective. May I suggest that when you make a sweeping statement you preface it with IMO... or "I find..." or "I think..." Something which set off the statement as personal opinion. Thanks...
    IMO thats ok as long as he stays on the Clark section of this forum. This is our part of the site to boast and talk about clark's hammock all we want, trying to convert someone to anything other than a clark on this part of the forum is nearly an unpardonable sin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    IMO thats ok as long as he stays on the Clark section of this forum. This is our part of the site to boast and talk about clark's hammock all we want, trying to convert someone to anything other than a clark on this part of the forum is nearly an unpardonable sin
    As a newbie I didn't know that. So there are sections in here for everyone else to talk about their own brand of hammock and what they're actually doing is coming in the Clark's area and telling us what we are allowed to discuss when it comes to hammocks. I don't mind the exchange of ideas, info, or cuttin up though. Hymmm, sounds like Clark's Envy Syndrome to me.

P.S. To Ramblinrev. Were only talking about hammocks here, so please take your DR. Phil "mumbo jumbo" somewhere else. Thank you!

Good Blessings! Fatpacker
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 08-21-2008 at 13:57.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Ah ha. As a newbie I didn't know that. So there are sections in here for everyone else to talk about their own brand of hammock and what they're actually doing is coming in the Clark's area and telling us what we are allowed to discuss when it comes to hammocks. Hymmm, sounds like Clark's Envy Syndrome to me.

I guess I have no alternative but to say that if anyone other than a Clark's user doesn't like what those who use the best hammock in the world have say about the second rate hammocks (which of course would be everything else) out there, they can "go pound sand"!

P.S. To Ramblinrev. Were only talking about hammocks here, so please take your DR. Phil "mumbo jumbo" somewhere else. Thank you!

Good Blessings! Fatpacker
    I love to here from other Clark owners who really love the Clark hammock and really like to see them boast about there product but I would have to say that was a bit rough. Lets try to keep an open mind to what others have to say and give a them a break because I have always read there stories about how come there stuff is the best and you have to remember that it is there opinion and when I post something on there part of the forum I have to remember just that.

And like I have said what works for us may not work for fellow Clark owners and the like.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, lets keep it friendly
    I most respect the opinion of those that can see both the pros & cons of each hammock type
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Hello all! I do respect the opinions of others. However, what I don't need is a Dr. Phill type analysis given to me on hammock's and opinions. Were talking about hammocks for crying out loud, not how to solve world starvation.

Sorry, but I came on here to have fun and talk about what I believe is one of the most important moves forward in the field of backpacking at the suggestion of the owner of Clark’s. Am I opinionated. I believe that would be a resounding yes. Do I truly believe that all other opinions are worthless? Not if they agree with mine. LOL, just kidding! Of course I don't. But I'd hate to see this forum adapt the stance of having hammock cops constantly rebuking everyone that thinks their ideas of hammocks, tips and tricks are the best.

My goodness, if every word we write and every opinion is going too placed under a microscope because someone is "offended" then this is going to become a very painful place to play.

Some of what I wrote was a little harsh and for that I apologize, but let’s come back down to reality here. WERE TALKING ABOUT HAMMOCK CAMPING FOLKS!

My apologies, now lets lighten up.

Good blessings!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 08-21-2008 at 14:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast