Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7

Clark NX250 question

My only real hammock experience has been with the WBBB Dbl. 1.7. I am considering the Clark NX250 but am concerned with the comfort vs. what I experienced with the Warbonett.
    In the Blackbird I could get a fairly flat lay on a diagonal , and certainly the footbox helped with comfort as well. In the video reviews I have watched of the Clark, it appears that you can't really lay diagonally, and that if you are sleeping on your back you are stuck in a banana kind of lay. It does appear that you can sleep on your side fairly well though.
    I am looking for your input and opinions on this.
    Also, I am 6'1" and about 250. Fairly broad in shoulders. The NX250 looks to be kind of roomy, but I am wondering about shoulder room.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    My experience with each of these is limited but I will offer this anyway...
    Since you asked about comfort I will limit my comments to the comfort issues only and not any other features of the two hammocks (although I have some pretty strong opinions on each )
    I am 6'5" and about 200# - tall, thin, but pretty broad shouldered.
    I have slept 3 times in a Blackbird. Very roomy and of course designed for a diagonal lay. One of the things I did not like was that the foot box allowed a good diagonal lay on one side but if turning to the other side it lost some of its appeal because it put your face up against the hammock fabric. For some reason I wasn't comfortable in the Blackbird and in spite of my great excitement to own one passed it on to my brother.
    I now own an NX-250, thanks to the 'For Sale' forum here. I have slept in it maybe a dozen times. I have found that for some reason it doesn't form a ridge down the center like other hammocks I have used (my other experience is in a DD Frontline). It seems that wherever I lay my legs, a trough forms which allows a flatter lay even when on my back. If my feet are together the fabric seems to spread to the sides and allows my feet to drop to a lower level. If I spread my legs towards the sides of the hammock, a trough forms for each leg and I actually seem to get some support under each knee from the fabric. I am not usually a back sleeper but I find this very comfortable.
    I have tried a diagonal lay - just to see - but I am most comfortable with the Clark hung fairly tight and that doesn't leave as much 'give' in the fabric for a diagonal lay. But - for me at least - I can get comfortable on my side while staying right down the middle. I move around a lot during the night but I can go from side to side or on my back while staying right down the middle without wiggling around to get on the diagonal.
    Shoulder squeeze isn't a problem for me - more like a nice hug - but it is more noticeable than in the Blackbird.
    One other thing about comfort - the material and design of the Clark just has a ruggedness about it that makes me less concerned about possible damage to the hammock as I flop back and forth during the night.
    As I said, my experience with each is limited - but I find the Clark more comfortable for me.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, Claytor Jungle, ENO
    Tarp
    Vertex & Super Fly
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    I am pretty new to this, did some reading & was considering the WBBB & the Clark NX-250. I decided on the Clark, even with the same concerns as you. I am 6 foot & range from 235-250lbs depending on time of year. Anyway, I love the NX-250, but can not give an opinion on the BB as I have never layed in one.

I will 2nd Passnthru's review, I find I am comfortable laying on my back & either side, the lay is pretty flat for me & have slept very comfortably in it 6 times this season already.

The great thing about hammockforums is the ability to resell equipment fairly quick, may cost a few dollars to test the equipment, but makes spending the money a little easier.

One more thing, again I have not seen or tried the BB, but the sewing, construction & quality of the Clark is the best Ive seen. I got the Vertex Tarp & just bought a Superfly & comparing the two, the Clark is constructed better & if they sold another tarp with the door option, I would buy it & sell the Superfly.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I started with a Clark Tropical and I now have a 1.0 double layer BB. I too will only be compairing how I lay in and sleep in each. Both for me are very comfortable. The BB has more inside room and I like to have my arms away from me. The Clark is tighter to the body, it hugs you. My arms can not go out from my body. I'm sideways in the BB and straight down the middle in the hugging Clark. In both I'm able to turn to either side and sleep. In the both I can sleep on my back but in the Clark I'm sort of twisted a bit and not truly on my back. If I hang my BB wrong, I can get this ridge through the bottom of the hammock that hurts my legs. I've found that it's more critical to get the hang of the BB right vs. the Clark. It ultamately came down to, for me, eaze of set up, which hammock I used the most. And this didn't have anything to do with how comfortable each hammock was. (they were both comfortable to me)

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    Thanks for the input so far guys. The reason I am looking at the NX250 is that it looks to be the largest single person hammock that Clark makes. I thought that perhaps the additional size would minimize shoulder hug that the smaller Clark's might be causing. I was happy with the Blackbird, but never quite got rid of the calf pressure. Perhaps I never found the sweet spot in setting it up. I like the looks and the functionality of the weather shield. It is one of the things I like about the DangerBird hammock well.

I have now slept several nights in my NX250, and like Passinthru, I sleep well. No, a true diagonal lie is not possible for my 250 and near 6', but there is no problem with the comfort factor. I use some sag, foot end about 6'' higher than the head and really no problems. Sorry I cannot offer any thing on the WBBB, as I haven't yet had the pleasure of trying one.

• + New Posts