Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension

New suspension---New Hammock

Well, last week, my new Claytor hammock arrived. Like any new hobby I get into, I can't leave well enough alone so after some reading here, I decided to tweak the stock suspension.

First, the set up shot. (Never mind the mess, I had to set this up in our pole barn lol)
    The tarp is lower than what I would have wanted it. I can readjust that next time.

List of materials.

Hammock---Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Descending rings---Whoopieslings.com
    Tree huggers---Whoopieslings.com
    3/16" Amsteel---Redden Marine
    CAMP NANO 23 CARABINER---Ebay

Removed stock webbing from the sewn channel and replaced it with a double loop of 3/16" Orange Amsteel.
    Joined the ends with a double fishermans knot the used 2 Larks heads to attach to the descending rings. One Larks head on the bottom, the other on top.

I bought the tree huggers a bit long and I was going to just cut one of the looped ends off, but figured I'll just leave it for now. Never know when I might need some long webbing in an emergency. Anyhow, the webbing from the descending rings to the biner which is wrapped around a pole barn pole and clipped back onto the webbing.

Took me less than 20 seconds to attach the hammock and have it set up to where I like it. Will be working on a Bishops bag so everything fits in snug.

A view from inside.

3 weeks we will be in the BWCA for 2 weeks. Will be nice to wake up refreshed instead of sleeping on a root or rock.

Now, if anyone sees anything wrong with this setup, let me know. I'm a brand new hanger and I'll admit, I don't know everything........yet.
    Last edited by Meat Hunter; 06-02-2012 at 18:54.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Ring strap suspension is nice and you could save a little more weight by changing to the WB style buckles.
    And i'm not completely sure about orange... but I don't think you need 4 strands of Amsteel to hold you up.
    1 will normally do.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 06-02-2012 at 18:36.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    He isn't using whoopie slings. He listed the merchant he bought stuff from. Some folk's kids.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Ahh I see.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    two lines of 3/16 amsteel? Can you say "overkill"? I knew you could. On the plus side.... it ain't going nowhere.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    two lines of 3/16 amsteel? Can you say "overkill"? I knew you could. On the plus side.... it ain't going nowhere.
    Yeah yeah yeah, I know. A bit overkill. At least I'm good for a couple tons lol.
    The reason for the 3/16" was I read somewhere, or at least I think I did, about the thinner diameter Amsteel putting too much pressure, or cutting in to the sewn channel. This way, the larger dia. is close that of the original webbing. Or at least that sounds good on paper.....
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Looking at your descending rings, I'm confused. Do you have a diagram of how you looped your webbing through the rings? The way I'm seeing your webbing, it looks like adjustment would be difficult once the hammock is up. Looks like it would be secure once in place though. Just curious how you passed your webbing through your rings.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338917153.859690.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338917170.104798.jpg
    I am newbie and tried all the different stuff I am big and went back to webbing 15' of 1" webbing and smc rings

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Do you normally tie your tarp so high on the ends? I don't recall seeing this look before. It appears to give good visibility, but how about the coverage? Do you just lower the ends when it rains hard?

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
    Looking at your descending rings, I'm confused. Do you have a diagram of how you looped your webbing through the rings? The way I'm seeing your webbing, it looks like adjustment would be difficult once the hammock is up. Looks like it would be secure once in place though. Just curious how you passed your webbing through your rings.
    I think I know what you mean. In the pic, what you are seeing is the webbing dropped back thru the rings one more time.

Just went out and took a few more shots.

Here are the rings with webbing thru them like one normally would do it.

Here is a shot as I run the webbing thru once more. Even though it's not needed, I just do it as the extra length of webbing I have puts a bit of tension on the first wrap. I tried it both ways and it really does keep the webbing straight and from slipping.

And here is how it looks in the first photos that you commented on. It's just flipped upside down.

As far as adjusting, it's just as fast. Just pull the loose webbing up and go.

Hope that cleared it up. If not, let me know.

Todd
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast