WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips

Advice sought for Smy Mts AT

I have been invited to join a friend for a 3-day hike in October on the Smoky Mountains part of the AT. It will be my first multi-day hike. I welcome any advice/warnings.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Are you going to be hiking in the park or north/south of it? Just bare in mind that if you're staying in the park you're required to get a permit to stay in the shelters if you're not a thru-hiker (a big pain, I know). You're also supposed to stay in the shelters rather than hang or even tent....not my first choice by any means. I understand the attempt to reduce the impact to the shelter sites but that seems a little extreme.

The Smokies are beautiful but this might not be the best spot to do your first multi-day hike. Be sure you prepare for the weather. The mountains in that area in October could be in the 60s and sunny or snowing in the teens. They can go from one to the other in pretty short order as well.

Several members here have a lot of hiking experience in this area and will likely chime in. Has your friend done a lot of hiking in this area or are they somewhat new as well?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Too many rules and regs in the Smokies. I think an awesome section would be from Rt 19E to Damascus. I can't recall the exact miles but you could always cut it a bit short if you need. It's not too difficult and very scenic. I recently passed through there.

Cat in the Hat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Smokies aldo now requires bear canisters
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

Not Heard of This

Whend did this happen?

8. Food storage: When not being consumed or transported, all food and trash must be suspended at least 10 feet off the ground and four feet from the nearest limb or trunk, or shall be stored as otherwise designated

I just copied this from the National Park web site

Quote Originally Posted by WrongTurn View Post
    Smokies aldo now requires bear canisters
    Last edited by BEAS; 06-03-2012 at 15:57. Reason: to copy and paste regs from natl park
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Yes, there are regulations for the AT in the Smokies--mostly because its such a popular destination and the environmental impact is noticeable. Back in the 70s there would be dozens of folks camped at a shelter--simply don't have the water and space for such use. No, I haven't heard anything about bear canisters in the GSMNP; they do have bear cables at all the shelters and campsites now, and there are always some shelters and campsites with problem bears; right now Cosby Knob Shelter is closed and Derrick Knob has some bear activity. The AT in the GSMNP is a beautiful section of trail--challenging no matter which direction or what section you're doing.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Since you are required to stay in shelters, unless full,

On AT in GSMNP it can be hard to hang a hammock, unless there is enough room in the shelter to hang inside the shelter. Hard to count on that though. So bottom line I would have what you need with you to be comfortable in the shelter in a non hanging state
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Are you going to be hiking in the park or north/south of it? Just bare in mind that if you're staying in the park you're required to get a permit to stay in the shelters if you're not a thru-hiker (a big pain, I know). You're also supposed to stay in the shelters rather than hang or even tent....not my first choice by any means. I understand the attempt to reduce the impact to the shelter sites but that seems a little extreme.

The Smokies are beautiful but this might not be the best spot to do your first multi-day hike. Be sure you prepare for the weather. The mountains in that area in October could be in the 60s and sunny or snowing in the teens. They can go from one to the other in pretty short order as well.

Several members here have a lot of hiking experience in this area and will likely chime in. Has your friend done a lot of hiking in this area or are they somewhat new as well?
    The section he mentioned was Fortana Dam to Newfound Gap.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    I just did most of the hike you inquired about, New found Gap to Fontana. I would suggest that directions as it is mostly downhill. There is no requirement for bear canisters. It is impossible to hang in a shelter. I hang and looked closely but could not find a way, if there are others in the shelter.

I stayed at Derrick Knob just 3 days ago and there was no sign of bear activity although it is posted. However, I did see a chipmunk.

This has been discussed many times but legally, you cannot hang unless the shelter is full. Most have a capacity for 12.

The weather report for the area indicated a night time temp of 50. I wore everything I had in my pack. I have no idea of the actual temperature but I nearly froze. When I left the car about noon at New Found Gap it was 56. Be so advised.

Gorgeous part of the trail. The flame azaleas are in bloom and the juncos are nesting. I even saw a rabbit on the trail just down from Clingmans Dome.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    The weather report for the area indicated a night time temp of 50. I wore everything I had in my pack. I have no idea of the actual temperature but I nearly froze. When I left the car about noon at New Found Gap it was 56. Be so advised.

Gorgeous part of the trail. The flame azaleas are in bloom and the juncos are nesting. I even saw a rabbit on the trail just down from Clingmans Dome.
    I was just north of you hiking between Devil Fork and Standing Bear Farm. I was seeing temps as low as 53 which can be quite chilly in a hammock if you're not prepared.

The flame azaleas were gorgeous as always. I was surprised that there weren't more of the rhododendrons in bloom.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts